Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Add a table-mounted defibrillator to the security department
With the decrease in available stun batons, on lower-pop shifts I've had several occasions where I desperately needed a shock to jog someone's heart, but the nearest defib is an entire station away. It never used to be that big of a deal when everyone and their dog had batons, but when I'm the only security as Detective or Vice (or the secoffs have managed to have their gear stolen), shocking a door and throwing someone into it is kinda silly. On high population shifts, even if you shout for a doc to come to sec, rarely does it ever happen as medbay is chaos. 

If there were a table-mounted defib where the rest of the medical supplies are kept in Sec, it wouldn't be abusable or useful as a stun weapon since you can't take it very far away from it's mount. Additionally, it just makes sense from an immersion point of view, defibs are really common in security rooms in real life.
Personally for detective I feel like the stun bullets should work like the baton with kick starting someones heart, though maybe not as long of a stun. Just imagine the detective seeing someone have cardiac arrest and pulling out their gun and just point blanking them back into a working heart. Fun.
I think our thing isn't that stuns restart hearts but that electrification does?
I don't see stun bullets as electric, they feel more like stun from physical impact to me, so it would feel unintuitive to me for them to act similar to the electric shocks in that way.
Yeah but imagine the Cardiac Arrest puns
ok, you have completely changed my opinion on this with 7 words
It would be interesting to give detective more round types so that there were stun rounds and "stun rounds"

I.e. a physical rubber bullet stun and an electric charge stun

Open the door for flame or flare rounds
I've been an advocate for extending the inspector gadget-y-ness of the detective to his ammunition since forever but I think it should go in it's own thread.

Back on the topic of a shocky table though, I think having a mini-medbay in security would be really useful, adding a table and a locker for emergency medical supplies (obviously in limited amounts as to only be helpful a few times before medbay is necessary)
(08-08-2020, 10:26 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I've been an advocate for extending the inspector gadget-y-ness of the detective to his ammunition since forever but I think it should go in it's own thread.

Back on the topic of a shocky table though, I think having a mini-medbay in security would be really useful, adding a table and a locker for emergency medical supplies (obviously in limited amounts as to only be helpful a few times before medbay is necessary)

Agree. Sec is a place where someone is likely to get hurt or show up to already hurt. Giving them a decent but limited amount of medical supplies makes sense. It also gives prisoners escape chances by trying to exploit needing medical treatment to get the cell door opened.
(08-08-2020, 10:26 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I've been an advocate for extending the inspector gadget-y-ness of the detective to his ammunition since forever but I think it should go in it's own thread.

Most if not all security rooms have a medkit assortment already too. My idea here is definitely not to give security their own medbooth with a nanomed and such, as that takes away from the importance of medbay itself, but to stabilize a critical patient who can then safely be transported to medbay/medbooth or wait for a doc to arrive. A defib is essential in that role where previously you could just use one of the stun batons that were hiding in a locker or sitting in a recharger that someone forgot about.

This wouldn't be near as much of an issue if we had a paramedic job or if docs were more comfortable leaving medbay, but outside of a few excellent MDs or competent mediborgs that I've seen, it's very rare to have a medic respond to an emergency call.
Ive always wanted a minimedbay in sec to be honest. I dunno how many times someone has gotten seriously injured in sec and then dies before I can drag them to medbay.
(08-08-2020, 11:08 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ive always wanted a minimedbay in sec to be honest. I dunno how many times someone has gotten seriously injured in sec and then dies before I can drag them to medbay.

Honestly just trading the bare amount of medical supplies on most maps in sec for a medbooth would be *AMAZING!* and I would definitely be using that thing a lot. The only concern that I have in this is nukies, wherein one of the plant sites is Security, so it could be a little bit imbalanced for that.
Medbay and Sec are almost always so damn far away from each other (except for on the indisputably best map ever where they're basically the same department with only a 3 tile separation)
I think having a small medical dispenser in certain departments (I think Security, Engineering, and Mining would be reasonable. Science can just make their own medicine, and pretty much every other department would, on a normal day, be in no real danger of significant injury OR have medical access already.) would be reasonable. It would be like the normal medbay vendors, except

1. It would have less supplies.
2. It would contain basic medicine. Styptic, Silver, Charcoal, Sab, Mannitol, and Epi. Pretty much anything else would need medical doctor knowledge, and Mannitol is debatable for this.
3. Access for anyone with the associated departments, for ease of code. It means an Engineer could steal medicine from security, so this could be debated as to having a "Sec Medicine Vendor" or a "Engineering Medical Vendor" and the like.
I feel like just having a locker would be more thematically appropriate, along with being easier to implement nut I 100% agree on everything else
As a weird possible alternative or addition to solve the issue OP presented, how about voltagen autoinjectors? Very low doses so they won't do much besides shock you a bit, but that shock might just be what you need.