TheMaskedMan2 - Mentor Application
Usual character name: Weaverly Webb
BYOND username: TheMaskedMan2
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Masked#3647
Recommended by (if applicable): Lily White said "Apply for mentor already you doofus" and besides that I kinda had it in the back of my head for a while but was always too lazy to actually do it.
Goon servers you play: Mostly Goon1, I do hop on RP from time to time but not as much as I used too.

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
I play on Goonstation a lot, it's basically my relax and goof around place. There's a huge influx of new players and I wouldn't mind helping them out. I have a lot of experience staffing previous SS13 servers as Mod/Admin/Mentor/Etc so it should be relatively simple to jump right in. I kinda miss helping out on servers behind the scenes more, and I already somewhat do it when I roll HoS, might as well go the extra mile right? Either way, I firmly believe new blood and new faces is what keeps SS13 alive, doing what we can to keep them around is in everyones best interest. It's long been on my mind to "I should apply for mentor." but I simply never got around to it until now I guess.

Experience? Uh. Way too much. Like, SS13 alone since like 2012 I think. Goonstation? More recent with that but I think it's the server i've put the most time into consistently. For game mechanics and being able to actually mentor people? I feel i'm an expert on 90% of the mechanics besides a few that just elude me. Though that's more about the deepest and most intricate parts of them like artifacts aaaaa. Security? Obviously got that down. Engineering? Easy peasy. Medical? Squeeze Easszy speezy. Science? .......I can do telesci! Cursory knowledge of most adventure zones even if i'm not an expert in them.

Anyways yes I play a lot of Goon and a lot of SS13 in general and i've been part of this community for a long time and I like the people in it and why not, right? I'm capable of assisting servers before and if I can't help the server by coding (Maybe one day), then hey, might as well help the server by mentoring right? Not sure if i'm memorable enough for most people to know me well or i'm even that good of a player but hey. Here I am. queen greater domestic space-bee

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
I got antag banned way back when for playing on a lot of servers at once hoping to get antag. This was during ssethtide when there were five servers up at once. It was pretty dumb and I was in an awkward place at the time. That was a while ago though.
Yea sure, we need all the mentors we can get with the tide and Webb's HoS shows they can be trusted and I believe they know well on enough to answer most of the questions that come through. +1
Well duh it's about time - every time I see Webb in OOC I get confused as to why their name isn't purple. Glad it's going to be rectified! +1
I've not seen Wewe in almost a year, I think? I honestly though they were already a mentor.
I'd like to reiterate my support for them - they had this typed up like 20 seconds after I told them to, they know a whole lot and are fun to play with - they'll make an awesome mentor.
The gist from me is that I would usually "yes" this because I know you're a very capable, knowledgeable player, however as of late my experiences with you and watching you play haven't been very pleasant. I've seen a few recent instances (since I was adminned) of you getting frustrated very easily in dead chat/OOC. This usually wouldn't be a complete 'no', but I've noticed that sometimes you can be pretty snarky/condescending towards people (specifically new players or newer nukie players) and I don't think that's really mentor-behaviour.

There's also the antag-fishing problem. It definitely isn't as bad/prevalent as it used to be, but I've noticed there have been some rounds where you've gone ahead and suicided/logged off around 10 minutes into it. I know that sometimes people have to go, but it reached a level of consistency that I started recognizing your CKEY as being a frequent "offender".

All in all, I think it's a "no" from me for now, however that's definitely capable of changing if I see some improvement.
(08-07-2020, 11:52 PM)Knight Wrote: The gist from me is that I would usually "yes" this because I know you're a very capable, knowledgeable player, however as of late my experiences with you and watching you play haven't been very pleasant. I've seen a few recent instances (since I was adminned) of you getting frustrated very easily in dead chat/OOC. This usually wouldn't be a complete 'no', but I've noticed that sometimes you can be pretty snarky/condescending towards people (specifically new players or newer nukie players) and I don't think that's really mentor-behaviour.

There's also the antag-fishing problem. It definitely isn't as bad/prevalent as it used to be, but I've noticed there have been some rounds where you've gone ahead and suicided/logged off around 10 minutes into it. I know that sometimes people have to go, but it reached a level of consistency that I started recognizing your CKEY as being a frequent "offender".

All in all, I think it's a "no" from me for now, however that's definitely capable of changing if I see some improvement.

That's fair enough and I can understand how it could come across that way. I tend to ramble a little bit in dead chat quite easily, and quite often I actually try to help newer players. Wizards running into me while rambling about what to do or how to do I try to help. I admit sometimes I roll my eyes a little bit when somebody has turned Nukie on without even understanding how to turn on internals. That's partially why I wanted to be mentor, so I can actually try to help these people and tell them how to play.

As for the antag things, that's not really what i'm doing at all. Goonstation is a very relaxed place for me and I kinda just enjoy goofing around and tend to die easily. Usually when I have to leave for the night I just decide to die in a dumb way infront of everyone. I didn't really think it was that often at all I log out entirely.

Anyways thanks for the feedback. Obviously I didn't think my OOC attitude was that poor outside of a few comments, there's a certain air of professionalism and an image one must take when representing a community. That's the responsibility with being a member of a staff team.
I think at least a part of Knight's comments sounds valid - I got the antag-fishing feeling from you too at some point - but I'm willing to trust that it's not what you did and I'm pretty sure you'd be a good mentor. +1 from me.
I feel similarly to Enakai. I think you're a knowledgeable and fairly experienced player, but I don't think at this point I'd trust you to be a mentor. Like he mentioned, you can be dismissive in deadchat and OOC, and I also feel like you downplayed the severity of the antag fishing that led up to your original antag ban.

No for now. I know you've only recently come back (June I think?) after a long break, so I think some more time to observe you would be helpful for me in voting yes.
I don't think they've been antag fishing lately as much as they tend to play too late and leave suddenly. There was over a year between notes for the early logoffs, and the game doesn't have good enough tools to really monitor this sort of thing.

Personally I'm in favor of mentoring.
Ive only been back for a short while but from what i've seen your a very knowledgeable player and doubt you'd abuse the position. +1
masked seems like she'd be a good mentor! i think she's been a little hot headed before, but the fact that she's been whitelisted for hos proves that she's trustworthy, and her presence in discord and stuff is nice and helpful for the most part. wanting to help the server by mentoring is always good too. a +1 from me!