Varshie's Mentor Application
Usual character names: 
Humans: Karu Karim, Miranda Barrett, Bullet Vandergun
Cyborg: Anti-Meat
BYOND username: Varshie
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Varshie
Recommended by (if applicable): Kamades, jan.antilles
Goon servers you play: Goon 1 (RP), Goon 3 (RP Overflow)
Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I’ve been playing on and off since around September 2019, but as of late I’ve really spent an exponential amount of time playing the game, with Goonstation being the only server that I have played on. After a few suggestions that I would make a good mentor from other players, I thought it was worth putting in an application to see what you all think.

Teaching has always been something I’ve enjoyed and I really feel like I’m in my element when I am given the opportunity to do so. Whether it’s showing someone the basics of navigating the interface, their job, or a more advanced topic like surgery, I’ve never felt that a question that I have been asked has been beneath me, and I always do my best to give a quick and clear explanation that they will be able to understand, while encouraging them to ask any questions they may have about my answer if they are still unsure.

With the arrival of the latest wave of new players, I’ve given up a tremendous amount of time during rounds to help people learn, with one such encounter lasting around 40 minutes because it was the player’s first round and they decided to roll security. It took a while but they had fun, and by the end of it, they understood what their role was and how to go about carrying it out. I’ve seen them around and playing security since and I hope that I had an impact on their first experience with the game.

In regards to what I know my knowledge mostly lies in the medical department, whereas in other departments I possess a more well-rounded knowledge. The only jobs I’m currently lacking much experience in are those in the engineering department, but I have played a fair amount of mechanic and I can set up the solars at least.

Recently while working in medical I’ve encountered a lot of doctors who didn’t know what they were doing, so I took some time to write out some nerdy basic doctoring and basic surgery pamphlets which I usually hand out when the player count begins to pick up and I’m too occupied to help people directly. I’m also fairly versed in exploration and enjoy forming expeditions to take people out into the (usually dangerous) unknown, to give them a taste of something they probably weren't expecting and encourage them to explore on their own in the future.

At the end of the day, I really just want to give back to the community that’s done a lot for me in the past couple of months. I’ve met some really amazing people here and had some great laughs, and if my help could lead someone else into getting more involved with the game and the community surrounding it, well that’s just great and makes it all worth it.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): N/A
Varshie has been an excellent source of teaching in the game, and has earned a ton of respect from me with his teaching style - managing to stay in character while teaching advanced topics regarding the interface, and generally being a role model of mine.  

I've yet to see Varshie be anything but kind and accommodating to folks that need his time, and I believe he'd be a potent force for Good on the mentor team.  

In short, make this man purple.
I don't necessarily recognize you that well yet from my time on RP yet, but: I have been playing on RP overflow two days ago and I have seen Karu Karim's guide to medbay. Gotta say, I really liked the effort put into making this document, and that thing alone made me come here and +1 this app.
So, I had told Varsh they had really good potential for being a mentor, after watching them teach new sec officers and doctors a few times, and just watching their general demeanor over RP. Definitely a plus one, given I *had* recommended them, they just weren't sure to put me in, the bloody goofball. They've got a really good demeanor and personality for it, and if they don't end up being a good fit for mentor on RP, I'll eat my hat. They more or less already are, they just don't get the questions bugging them.
Ahh, finally! This dude is amazing, no matter what role he takes on. More than a few times I'd get to the end of a round and think to myself, "Now who was that awesome character... oh it was Varshie, of COURSE!" He's a great roleplayer and a great teacher, and I am sad that all I can do in return is give his app a +1.
I've witnessed them give some highly entertaining and effective surgery lessons - from what I've seen, they'd make an excellent mentor.
Absolutely. I've seen Karu doing good stuff on the roleplay server, and I'd love to see it happen with purple text.
Sadly I don't think I have interacted with Varshie in-game but from what I've seen on Discord they have both nice and friendly attitude and knowledge! +1
i didnt rly know varshie in game so i observed them for two 2 hour long rp rounds (not a lot, but i only have so long to just sit there and watch someone). in that time i saw enough to confirm that theyre a really great teacher. theyre respectful, extremely willing to help people. from what ive seen more generally theyre not gonna abuse any of the meta info they get from being a mentor. id say theyre a good pic. +1
For whatever it's worth, I'll also pipe in to say that Varshie is always a great person to work with. They know their jobs well, they're always willing to help out new players, and they're a great person to just engage in some RP banter with as well. They're a perfect fit with the overall feel of the RP server.
While the names don't stick out too much in my mind (I play AI a lot so there's *so many people*, so it's VERY easy to lose track of names), the name Varshie absolutely does - in Discord they are a pleasant person to interact with, and I haven't seen really anything negative at all about them either in OOC, in-game or in Discord. Based on what others have said in this thread as well, I give a big fat 'Yes'.