Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.1 Average
Make the ai recognize reptiles and other body types as human
(07-25-2020, 02:57 PM)Drago156 Wrote: So I believe part of this all stems to older times when mutantraces were considered very bad and a big no no. Obviously those views have changed but yet some things from those times haven't.

Now personally, I think it's fine either way, and in the case of mutantraces being non-human, I have a certain view that just because a crew member is non-human by default laws, this does not exclude them from being an NT asset, and it would probably be frowned upon by human management to have their employees beaten, battered, or ignored by the station AI and cyborgs.

Don't get me wrong. A good AI almost never attempts to space them on an airbridge without a law change. An AI's outlook generally on basic laws should be 'meh, stuff is on station'. That said, if a lizardling mouths OFF to me and the captain doesn't tell me to NOT electrocute the doors to his quarters (after locking down access to the hallway to keep humans safe of course!) then I'm going to do the thing. Sure, he'll then tell me to knock it TF out, which I then have to obey because though non-human so long as they aren't civilians - but I'll have gotten the point across.
Yeah as Erev said, Playing as an alien/nonhuman is a CHOICE and your CHOICE is that you are open to being bullied by robots. Same as when people turn themselves into monkeys, You are open to being messed with.
With default laws I treat all humanoid players (unless ling/vamp abilities viewed etc) as human due to Rule 1 *shrug*
The issue with it, as people are pointing out, is that Rule 1 affects humans.

Not walking, talking Lizards/Squid People/Cow People/ Whatever.

And it should be noted that, as incredibly unlikely as it is, it is possible to unwillingly be turned into one of those things, possibly via radiation or traitor geneticist/lucky surplus crate buyer.
I'm talking about rule 1 not law 1. To me, rule 1 supercedes. At the end of the day, don't be a dick. Laws don't state a number of things that I could technically do, but I'd get a slap on the wrist for doing so, because griefing.
To me, the AI Law of non-human harm only comes into play when push comes to shove. 

If say, the captain is a cow/lizard/whatever, in this instance I would acknowledge Law 1's extencence and then skip to law 2, depending on how I see fit. 

If the captain is a lizard and directly harming humans, then for me I would be able to harm the Captain to such a degree. I wouldn't be going out murdering the Captain, as there's literally nothing in my laws that would dictate that. But technically, I feel I would be safe in harming them if I felt they would be threatening. The same would go if the Captain would be a changeling.

If the Captain is a lizard but not directly harming anyone, then I would follow my laws as normal. 

Basically the way I see law 1 is a means of what can be harmed, and what cannot. 

For that reason, I see no reason for this to be changed.
As a humanoid, I just expect the AI to ignore me or try to kill me unless proven otherwise.

As an AI, unless I have a reason, I try not to antagonize nonhumans, since there's always that chance where the lizard I ignore flips out and kills me.

Regardless if the HoS is human or not, I'm going to listen to them (unless laws tell me not to) because it's a bad idea to ignore them.

Nonhuman doesn't require someone to be a jerk, and if the silicons value having brains, they won't.

Especially since there's usually a bigger threat. No time to be rude to a herp when people are turning into cluwnes.

So at best it doesn't matter if lizards are human, and at worst it's no different than the rogue borg you kinda expect them to be.

Plus I want to be special as this dumb reptile.
Actually, here's a way to resolve this all:

Assume that NanoTrasen's Central Command, with the highest possible rank, would order you to, to the best of your abilities, treat all the crew as human, even if they technically aren't. This is up to the AI.

Essentially, with the earlier Clown/Lizard HoS example I gave, you would listen to the Lizard HoS over the Clown to avoid conflict with that higher ranking CentComm official, you would obey the HoS over the Clown; the orders of a Central Command official must not be violated, and since the Clown is a lower rank, then you would obey the HoS's orders.

Yeah it's all confusing but that's my personal solution. Now that I've thought about it I do like keeping only humans as humans, as there are many ways to just lawyer your way into acting as if really any of the crew are human (within reason)
You could change it to "humanoids" but then vamps and lings are allowed to give orders. adding "living" would fix the Vamp problem.
I personally really like that the AI can maul some antags but not others based on a random "human" status. NT designed it to protect the human crew, including the bad ones. Mauling them is sec's job.
I think it's more fun and leads to more RP opportunities to have this stuff debated in-round, rather than via Admin Fiat (i.e. keep it as it is). It provides an actual (albeit minor) mechanical difference for those playing as another race, and most of the time it was a choice they made by picking it up via Spacebux anyway. Most of the time it doesn't actually matter that much because AIs tend to overlook it, and on the few occasions they don't, it makes for a more interesting round.
Yeah this is really one of those things that the AI can decide on per round really. Makes it fun to not know if the AI is going to feel like being a dick to lizards and monkey people that round or if they are just going to be treated normal.
I agree with the 2 statements above me
Keep it as it is.

I agree with the 3 statements above mine.
The Wiki states:
>The way that an AI determines which orders to follow over others is what separates each AI from the others, and no one playstyle can typically be called more "correct" or "better"...Once you have a solid grasp on how the chain of command and the AI laws as a whole function, you can start exploiting loopholes, formulating unorthodox interpretations of commands, and paving the way for interesting situations!...

As far as I'm concerned AI's are well within their rights to be mean to Lizards/non-humans.
While I'd agree with Drago--they are NT assets, crew-members, and should be treated as such;
the fact that AI is being mean has less to do with them being non-human and more with the AI player itself being a dick for his own amusement.

I'd have to say NO to *making* AI consider Reptiles/Aliens human.