Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
More machines to the AI core.
Maybe camera routers? Like if you break one the cameras in a certain range fail.
Yeah, kinda like System Shock
(07-24-2020, 02:06 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote: Maybe camera routers? Like if you break one the cameras in a certain range fail.

That's a really good one.

Maybe bot control could work like this?
Where it's disabled from a range
Perhaps departmental cameras would be camera networks - like the bot camera network. When one goes down, the network is disabled and the AI cannot view it.

*However*, the AI should be able to spend a bunch of cycles to repair it, or sacrifice Cycle Regen to force its way into the camera network. Simply disabling the network hub should not be easy, and is 100% a form of grief. The more cameras it has to force its way into, the more CR the AI has to sacrifice, and subsequently having to toggle whatever machines it has connected to generate more Cycles rather than storing them.

Essentially, disabling the cameras would indirectly weaken the AI, because it would either be blind in that area, or sacrifice some of its power to be able to see the area.
Sub-station repairs perhaps shouldn't take cycles but require a shell or bot to go fix it. I dislike the idea of self-repairing wiring and always find it annoying that the AI can override cut door lines given time as it is. (And I play a fair amount of AI!)
(07-25-2020, 02:23 PM)Erev Wrote: Sub-station repairs perhaps shouldn't take cycles but require a shell or bot to go fix it. I dislike the idea of self-repairing wiring and always find it annoying that the AI can override cut door lines given time as it is. (And I play a fair amount of AI!)

That seems a lot better and ties in quite nicely to my goal of these "generators" being defended by Cyborgs and Shells
(07-25-2020, 05:15 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Perhaps departmental cameras would be camera networks - like the bot camera network. When one goes down, the network is disabled and the AI cannot view it.

Essentially, disabling the cameras would indirectly weaken the AI, because it would either be blind in that area, or sacrifice some of its power to be able to see the area.

I think this would give a great reason for these generators being scattered around the station, having a camera server in each department would serve AS the cycle generators, giving Shells and Cyborgs more duties to perform during a rouge event than "kill da crew"
The trouble with camera routers is that it could mean it takes like 5 snips to take out the AI's eyes in total - kinda not cool and lowers the usefulness of snipping individual cams.

I'd personally suggest a main camera hub and a backup. Cutting both of these does not immediately blind the AI. The first disables tracking individuals and the second returns the AI to the old-school method of viewing things - jumping camera to camera with arrow keys, some more intuitive than not.
Maybe the routers could be a pain in the ass to disable?
I think they should need to be actually disassembled to disable them, giving the AI time to deal with the threat