Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I think cloning takes too long now.
I'm not sure if it was a decision to nerf cloner or something's broke, but cloning feels like it takes much longer now.
nothing changed officially, what's likely happening is increased server load slowing some update loops that dont compensate for time passed properly (machines loop?)
It's been slower since before the tide of extra people. It used to be that people popped out with 30 ish tox, now they don't. When I brought this up before I was basically told I was remembering wrong/making it up. *Shrug*
I don't remember it ever making you have tox but I know you can pop out sooner under several circumstances, including ones where you aren't quite finished and not at full health
It takes long...but only when no one on medical staff cares enough to pour some chems inside the cloning vat.

Especially as security I always make sure to speed clone people (pour in salycic acid, charcoal, potassium iodide, styptic powder).

Easy 20s clone.
Putting styptic powder in the cloner fucking kills the clone.
Ah, okay. I had thought it was an intentional change since it felt like that since I started playing again, but I guess it has been high pop since then.

I think it took 6+ minutes to clone someone, I added healing chems (cryox/cryo) for the next clone but I don't think that changed anything.
Cryoxadone heals well while within an ice cube...which can't happen inside the cloner.

Mouse...I never killed a clone through this.
So actually no one is crazy here. Cloner did use to clone faster AND spit people out with tox, but I noticed that it stopped doing this and took longer for cloning about when I came back from my 2 week hiatus.
During normal rounds the cloning feels just right and my gut reaction would be 'build a second cloner during busy rounds' but that only deals with capacity. If the timer IS skipping sometimes and making things actually longer perhaps a small modification for heavy server load would be reasonable.
(07-20-2020, 03:11 PM)GORE Wrote: Cryoxadone heals well while within an ice cube...which can't happen inside the cloner.

Before the cryox nerf, you could dump some cryox+stylane in the tube (after they've started cloning, otherwise they pop out as a weird wendigo thing stuck in a cube) and they'd be done cloning in just a few life cycles. Now, might need a lot more stylane, but it should work.
Some time ago I also observed the 'pop out with tox damage' thing, as well as brain damage. It was definitely a thing that happened.

But in modern times, I've noticed that the cloner progress initially goes fast, and hits 90% done fairly quick. But then it slows to a crawl, sometimes taking even a minute to progress just 1%.
Cloning is *definitely* taking way longer than it used to in a lot of cases.
(07-20-2020, 09:24 PM)Ion Mage Wrote: Some time ago I also observed the 'pop out with tox damage' thing, as well as brain damage.  It was definitely a thing that happened.

But in modern times, I've noticed that the cloner progress initially goes fast, and hits 90% done fairly quick.  But then it slows to a crawl, sometimes taking even a minute to progress just 1%.

This is specifically because the cloner does not treat TOX damage very well and gets hung up on the last 30 or so TOX damage on the clone. Not so long ago this is when the cloner would spit you out but these days if you do nothing it will sit at this state for literal minutes. The last time I was cloned with no chems inserted it literally took 5 minutes for me to pop out which is utterly ridiculous. Speed cloning should be a cool thing that experienced doctors do, not an absolute necessity to keep the cloner from sucking up all the biomatter while it sits on its arse doing next to nothing.

(I suppose you can just eject too but that is also annoying and shouldn't be so necessary)
Another big reason it feels like it takes longer is because clones only pop out at 100% now as opposed to the before times when a clone could pop out in the 70%-90% area. And also because people keep turning on that stupid Genetic Analyzer and making it take like 2-3x longer.