Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Hoses
Placed strategically throughout main hallways, place fire hose boxes.

In case of fire, open the box up, pull the hose out, and turn the nozzle in hand to spray.

Each hose only has a certain length it can extend, causing the player to not be able to move further until they drop the hose

The water blast is enough to knock people down, but it does have a limited pressure that goes down with use, which effects knockdown stength and stream distance
Would be fun to see those hoses hooked up to some sort of separate tank for water or other chems. wink
Also, a gentler garden hose version for the botany team. Maybe with an attachable auto sprinkler [WARNING: DO NOT ATTACH AUTO SPRINKLER TO FIRE HOSE]
They already got a device in deep space that has that purpose to put nutritients and I think water too into plant pots.
I would like to blast people onto their asses and down the hallways with a high pressure hose.
(07-16-2020, 10:32 PM)GORE Wrote: Would be fun to see those hoses hooked up to some sort of separate tank for water or other chems. wink

I wanna put Phlog in the water supply and set people on fire with the fire hose.

Then crack puns over it.
Projectile could be, a ball of water that leaves fluid in it's path from firing point to destination then dumps a number of units in proportion of pressure strength with also determines travel distance and knockback force
Yeah, it would be cool to see a pipe system for the hoses, that connects up to a tank, that can store alot of reagents
Also, i want to see a auto sprinkler system attached to a fire hose. I need this, I need a sprinkely that sprays out water with the force of a firetruck
Also for pressure stregnth, it should be the total number of reagents in the system, then combined with the distance from the fire hose box
Everyone so far is voicing a good opinion of the base idea, however I noticed that it had a rating of 1 star, would there happen to be a reason for why it's disliked so much without comment?
(07-22-2020, 08:53 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Everyone so far is voicing a good opinion of the base idea, however I noticed that it had a rating of 1 star, would there happen to be a reason for why it's disliked so much without comment?

It seems terrible for putting out fires compared to everything else.
(07-23-2020, 02:21 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 08:53 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: Everyone so far is voicing a good opinion of the base idea, however I noticed that it had a rating of 1 star, would there happen to be a reason for why it's disliked so much without comment?

In which ways?

It's meant to be a trade-off. An infinite ammount of water to drench a fire, but limited to a certain area.

It also doubles as a publicly available ranged weapon, but limited again by both it's range and the water pressure, which refills if you wait.
(07-23-2020, 02:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 02:21 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote:

In which ways?

It's meant to be a trade-off. An infinite ammount of water to drench a fire, but limited to a certain area.

It also doubles as a publicly available ranged weapon, but limited again by both it's range and the water pressure, which refills if you wait.
Carbon Tetrachloride tanks are already portable. If you drag one around you already have functionally infinite suppressant.
Quote:It's meant to be a trade-off. An infinite amount of water to drench a fire, but limited to a certain area.

*Cries in lag*

The voting system is wonky as it doesn't tell you how many people voted, so you could have 1 person voting 1 star with no justification behind it. It also doesn't really lend credence behind an idea either, 5 star threads generally are ones with effort behind the idea, but I've seen plenty of 5 star threads that seem completely infeasible.

Moving on, it's a bit jarring that a number of people here immediately think of "what if replace with piss?" instead of "will this fight fires?"

I feel the hose may be used more by staffies to indiscriminately flood places and hose down passerbys, rather than it's intended use. 

Without me being all NO FUN ALLOWED, I don't think this is a bad idea, it does need some refining. 

1. I dont think should be automatically filled for one. I think it should work by having a port system, where liquid tanks (all types) can be wrenched into a port (not unlike canister ports). Yes this means that it's not infinite, but there's a lot of liquid in those tanks.

2. More of a mapping design, but any areas with fire hoses would need also to have drains in conjunction.

3. Engineer locked? Not really too mad about this last point, but it might be something to consider.
Water is pretty awful at putting out any fires that aren't on people due to the way temperature works. And by awful I mean straight up useless, it'll immediately turn into steam.
(07-24-2020, 02:37 AM)Mouse Wrote: Water is pretty awful at putting out any fires that aren't on people due to the way temperature works. And by awful I mean straight up useless, it'll immediately turn into steam.

Could that potentially be fixed by sheer volume of water thrown at it? Water in real life works by cutting off access to oxygen, smothering the fire, I think it would be cool if this was replicated in game