Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Character setup alternate job titles.
There have been some players talking about making newbie equivalents of jobs to let people signify that they're new and to lower expectations.

It has also been attempted in the past with medical and technical assistants, with less than success.

What I think could potentially work out and that I've seen on other stations as a cool feature:
Some servers feature alternate job titles. Jobs themselves are a clickable field in character setup and it allows you to select a different job title for the job. So for example, instead of "miner" it can be "explorer" or "excavator", or instead of "medical doctor" it can be "paramedic".
The job itself remains the same, just the title is different and can be used to express which part of the job you're focusing on.

Implementing the same, but allowing titles that among other things could be used to convey someone's new, i.e. "novice medical doctor" or "rookie security officer"/"security officer in training" etc could potentially give people a way to show that they're new and that they might be eager to learn or otherwise be taught.

It could also be used for other things in letting people give themselves more personalised/gimmicky titles.
Yea, I have also seen this feature on other servers and it's a very cool idea and I support it

It will give this cool illusion effect that we have more roles than we actually do and newbie job titles will help out new players
I think the idea of having alternate job titles for functionally the same job in the command heirarchy is sort of confusing, but I see the value in allowing players to give themselves a "new player" descriptor on their job in-game.

I think that the best way to go about it would be to have a newbie job title for each job. But only have one for each job, and it should try to clearly describe that this is job X, but a "trainee" (or new player).

That is to say, I like the example: " security officer in training" for security better than "excavator" for mining. Because "excavator" doesn't really imply that it's a trainee job.

On the final topic of letting players select "personalised/gimmicky titles" for themselves in the character setup page, I don't like that idea all that much. Even though it could be funny. Here's my reasoning: it will lead to even more confusion about what job is what, like I said earlier. It could cause problems with people being unsure where people fall in the chain of command if players can pick their own custom job title and even if they can only select from a few titles, it just means that player have to remember all that much more jobs. And it kind of encroaches on the HoP's territory of assigning gimmick jobs and titles.
How about a vending machine type thing similar to the handcuff vendors in sec that let you get a badge/sticker that the new person stick on themselves to change their name similarly to how the voter sticker works. As in just have a name change to "Trainee Shitty Bill" when the badge/sticker is on.

Obvious problem of course would be people putting those on others that aren't really new etc., but maybe it could be self-activated only so that people can tell you that you can put one on if you need help, but others can't put it on you. Or maybe a simple way to remove it so that it wouldn't matter if people slapped one on you.
(07-18-2020, 04:37 AM)Tribaja Wrote: How about a vending machine type thing similar to the handcuff vendors in sec that let you get a badge/sticker that the new person stick on themselves to change their name similarly to how the voter sticker works. As in just have a name change to "Trainee Shitty Bill" when the badge/sticker is on.

Obvious problem of course would be people putting those on others that aren't really new etc., but maybe it could be self-activated only so that people can tell you that you can put one on if you need help, but others can't put it on you. Or maybe a simple way to remove it so that it wouldn't matter if people slapped one on you.

[Image: 2572-1a2a86afc036a95b7eee21a974f0482f]

I'm all down for some fun flair
(07-18-2020, 04:37 AM)Tribaja Wrote: Obvious problem of course would be people putting those on others that aren't really new etc.

I don't see the problem.

If I want to put a "I'm a Trainee" badge on a captain because they killed themselves in a self-surgery experiment, then I will fucking do it.

Though differentiating between a funny insult and a genuine newbie wouldn't hurt.  Make it so when examined, the sticker either looks cleanly applied (newbie) or sloppily slapped on at an angle (big fat doo doo head).