MarkNstein's [Mark Butter] HoS Application
Usual character name: Mark Butter
BYOND username: MarkNstein
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Mark™#0001
Recommended by (if applicable): Leyanni
Goon servers you play: Mostly Goon1-RP nowadays. I jump on 2 for action-adrenaline and/or "grilling" on projects.

Reason for application: 
Three reasons:
  • I enjoy playing Head Roles from time to time, and the co-ordination that brings.
  • When playing security, I've often felt like the round could use the authority / dynamics of a HoS on-shift.
  • The servers (notably on RP) have had an influx of new players. Some of them are not treating the Security Officer role with good intentions. While AHelping is one corrective action, I think I can help course-correct their play-style in-round.
Security experience (300 word minimum):
Initial experience was on Goon2. Typically in "lower-pop" hours solo-sec. I appreciated the advice of the wiki, stating that swapping the PDA cartridge for the medical cartridge; helping myself and crew members was a boon in keeping up relations in-round. Besides that, keeping a sharp eye out and using SecMate was a must on solo-sec 2. I'd already had antag-experience before starting Sec, so I knew the signs to look out for.
I've adopted methods of "brig on short time for minor but arrest able offences" and "negotiate or redistribute contraband". On short-offences, it's been helpful to adjust the perp's record to "Released" to track repeat offences. "Probation" for anyone who's accepted a bargain. Helps my short-term memory in-round.
Besides that, my treatment is largely adjusted to player behavior and server. Goon2 has some heavy murder-bone oriented antags, good for fights and raising my heart rate. Goon1 is about scaling to their threat level/escalation, and recognizing gimmicks vs. objective hunters.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
  • It's not about winning.
  • Watch the chatbar - radio chatter and other important messages don't show up in the game screen. 
  • Familiarize yourself with your PDA. If you have two monitors: keep the PDA open to the file-manager.
  • Don't strip search in the halls. Avoid pulling cuffed perps through the halls. Either carry them, or use the port-a-brig.
  • Get clone scanned (or get your disk copied), and remind the doctors that they can clone you without your body.
    Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
  • When buddying up, I try to coordinate sub-roles. Whether that's interrogating pre-arrest vs. taking notes & gathering evidence ; who will stun vs. who will cuff ; who will go back to the sec-wing for interrogation vs. who will stay behind to catch additional perps / other tasks.
  • While solo, I heavily rely on the passive device around me. Make sure the flashers are anchored in the sec-wing. Set perps to arrest and request additional secbuddies. Carry some extra stunning equipment.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
  • Roses, are red.
  • My shirt, dyed red.
  • My boots, stained red.
  • My buddy, quite dead.
  • That space suit, danger red.
  • Aw shit, it's nukies.
    What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
  • Burt B. Bucklecuff, a fresh officer who just graduated Space Law Academy. Incessantly nagging their fellow officers about the minutia do's and don'ts of proper officer conduct (both real and made-up), doing way too much talking, and not enough stunning.
  • Almost plain clothed but horribly (hopefully comedically) executed stings. For slow rounds where not enough is going on.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): Nope.
Mark has been good sec on RP. He's fair on sentencing, good on knowing when to try to RP out an arrest vs pulling out a taser and putting someone on the floor. He's also very relaxed and knowledgeable which is key, I think, to being a good HoS over the robustness people seem to expect as part of the position. Let me put it this way: I see Mark Butter in sec and I can expect a good time if I'm one of the other officers or the HoS. I can also expect the people he's grabbed are going to be treated fairly. And that he'll actually RP and try to be fun about security and chat with other officers, keep them informed, etc. A+ HoS material.

+1 from me.

Should it really count if I recommended him? Heh.
cool bastard nerd cop +1
Mark's a fine RP cop and he'll be a fine RP HoS

+1
I've hesitated a little to post here, but only because my interactions with Mark have been in non-Sec contexts. But man, I just have to get in here and say something about how great this dude is. A+ would get arrested by.
All of my interactions with Mark have been with him in Non-sec related cases.  However, he's shown good leadership in departments, is a solid communicator, and I would be very pleased to see Mark Butter, HOS on my station any day.  Patient, doesn't take things personally, and contributes everwhere I see him.  +1 from this nerd.
Butter is a solid and good nerd. I've only really seen them as head positions like HoP and Captain on RP but even so I think they're good for the position. absolutely beret this nerd. +1