Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
timegate security holy hell
(08-10-2020, 03:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Would it make sense to do this in a kind of department way?

Like, be locked to a staff assistant the first round, civilian roles the next, then medical/engineering/research, then Sec? Throw heads either at the beginning or end of this

If it was per round like that it would be per round they SURVIVE to centcom instead of just you know, dying as soon as they leave arrivals and then next round they can be something else.
I dunno about Staff Assistant, I've personally never seen staff assistants be very "not chaos", I prefer having stuff like Vice Security where you get some access and the job of keeping people safe. Perhaps it should be a system where you need to earn the right to carry a Sec Token/ spawn as Sec instead of Vice Sec via mentors deeming them "Not a shitter" or by taking an easy test meant to dissuade power gaming or just being shitcurity
(08-10-2020, 04:08 PM)KikiMofo Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 03:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Would it make sense to do this in a kind of department way?

Like, be locked to a staff assistant the first round, civilian roles the next, then medical/engineering/research, then Sec? Throw heads either at the beginning or end of this

If it was per round like that it would be per round they SURVIVE to centcom instead of just you know, dying as soon as they leave arrivals and then next round they can be something else.

In my opinion this is not a very good idea. Too often people die to stuff completely outside of their control, even the most robust players are subject to this. It would feel so awful if you were only, say, one survived game away from unlocking security, and you died on the shuttle to a macrobomb explosion you had no way of knowing about beforehand.

Personally I'm in favor of timegating as opposed to # of rounds played.
(08-10-2020, 06:45 PM)Podrick Equus Wrote: (A Quotes)

(A Words)

Personally I'm in favor of timegating as opposed to # of rounds played.

I propose an alternative: Medals. Much like job rewards can be earned through achievements, I think having a seperate, more clearly defined set of easy achievements should be available to unlock more prestigious job titles. Obviously jobs like Captain and Botany would be unlocked from the get go but stuff like Security can be dangerous as we are discussing. I don't know what the requirement would be but it would guarantee that you've got the right idea about how to go about "sec-ing"
I don't really agree with timegating anything other than security. The only other job that I'd remotely consider a timegate being appropriate for is Medical Doctor, and even then I'd be opposed to it.
(08-10-2020, 03:45 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: When I'm HoS I'm fine with helping a new sec officer learn the ropes but thing is I'm expecting to teach the SECURITY ropes not the whole HOW TO PLAY THE GAME IN GENERAL ropes. After a week of playing the game I assume they know how to play the game in general and are ready to learn how to play security.

This. I've had a number of times even pre-tomatotide where I've had to commit any where from half a round to a whole round teaching someone how to play the game as well as not be shitsec WHILE antags were going around messing up the station, and it is most certainly one of the most stressful things IMO.

As for timegating security, there's no complex alternate solution necessary. Simply basing the timegate on number of rounds played is good enough, and if the person is willing to stick through say 20-30 rounds, chances are they'd stick around on Goon and know the game by the time they had the security officer position available to them. Also, HoSes are FAR MORE happy to teach people how to play just security than having to teach the entire game, and this would greatly help that issue.
Mirroring Drago here - lets not make this more complicated than needs be.

20-30 rounds, let's just agree on 25. Maybe if it's someone's VERY first security round, they'll get a pop-up explaining the nature of their job. Boom, done.
25 rounds sounds good. Teaching just security still takes time, teaching security + the whole game is a round where possibly half or all the sec team doesn't accomplish much at all.
Fair enough, I'd agree with that
I personally started SS13 on Goonhub. Started on Goonhub as SEC.
While I love the idea of being able to hop on and join any role--even SEC,
I can understand why that may be upsetting for others.

While I don't like the idea, for the sake of Antags and Crew alike, I'd have to say Yes to Timegate.
I'd feel Rounds to be appropriate, as opposed to time. As for how many, depends on how well-vetted you'd want SEC to be.
The higher up in rounds we go, less SEC will join but are more likely to be skilled, effective and comply with Space Law.

10 rounds seems decent for players to learn most controls.
At ~25/30 you may have decent SEC officers.
Personally I'd say 10 to be fine.

I'd be happy if they are still able to pick vice-officer role in the meantime!
Maybe even make it a permanent role to be chosen for learning SEC!
----
Pick 10 rounds as Vice-officer, then SEC is enabled. Anyone? Anyone? Vice-officers!
I'd have to say for rounds 30 is too many. Think of every round as 1 hour. 30 hours is kinda rough. I'd say if you play 10 hours of the game you are good enough at the controls and know how the servers work for sec.
I'm also gonna second 10 rounds at being an appropriate length.

By that time they've figured the basics of how to play the game, and while they might not be great Sec at that point, they've probably had some interaction with Sec and can figure things out as they learn from their mistakes
25 rounds is, at an 'hour+a bit' per over a full day of play. 10 rounds should be fine.
I feel the issue with 10 rounds is the potential that one too many may end up being quick Nuke or Blob rounds. Unlikely, but possible. I think 15 would be a better number.

I presume Late Joins are not included for the counter as well.
I have the perfect compromise: 13

Also count late joins, I usually forget to pick right away or wait just so I can fill a role requirement. Just require they play for more than 30 minutes minimum with a system to detect if they are AFK