Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Allow Self Bans for Mental Health
So this idea may be silly, but it's one I actually did shortly after I was unbanned.  This was before I was hospitalized for pancreatitis and found out my blood sugar was fucking with me emotionally (that and the bloody flu), but even so... this game can sometimes be stressful or even down right rage inducing at times.  It's also so easy to just click to reque and let that build over time.

I think it'd be nice that in the heat of the moment, as opposed to just venting stress or whatnot, you could select an option to just have the game lock you out for anywhere from an hour to 72 hours.   Give you an enforced time to step back and clarity.    

The argument would be "players should be able to do that for themselves", but as someone who's been broke and SS13 was the only game I had going on in the past, the call of entertainment can override good sense.   I think if someone has the wherewithal to at least say "I need to force myself to take a step back for the good of my mental health" it's a helpful tool to help people come back with some clarity. 

I know there's been more than once where I should have taken a few hours, but came back out of boredom. 

Worst case scenario it doesn't do much, but best case scenario it helps a few players take a step back when the stress is building.   

Just an idea
Moving this to ideas and suggestions subforum
Seems like it should be easy enough - a button which inquires after length and a big ARE YOU CERTAIN dialog. In case of misuse an admin can reverse the bans. The downside is that the ban forums will get a bit busier - either due to 'my brother banned me/I was hacked' or 'I changed my mind! I don't want a two year ban anymore!'

On the whole I think it would be a positive feature. Heck, I could see me banning myself to be certain I did homework or went to bed at a semi-reasonable hour (8am IS a reasonable hour, right?)
Ain't like just deinstalling the game an option?

Seems like potential stress for the admins like Erev pointed out.
Other than that sure - I mean you could also brick the internet connection that BYOND is allowed to build on Windows or probably also Linux. Making yourself unable to connect to any server.
(07-02-2020, 01:36 AM)GORE Wrote: Ain't like just deinstalling the game an option?

Seems like potential stress for the admins like Erev pointed out.
Other than that sure - I mean you could also brick the internet connection that BYOND is allowed to build on Windows or probably also Linux. Making yourself unable to connect to any server.

I mean you can, but then you can just reinstall. I think it should have a check, and you shouldn't be able to undo it. Also why I limited it to 72 hours.
I just think for a game that can sometimes be stressful like that some positive mental health tools would go a long way.

IMO it could only be a positive for the community if people use it because people aren't playing when pissed off and are getting a valuable tool to step back and cool off, even if they just set it for one hour that can be the difference between being rude to someone who didn't deserve it, feeling bad (and making the problem worse), or just coming back a bit more relaxed. Even just the act of taking that step back would put people coming back in a better frame of mind.

Also, as it was pointed out, might be handy for students and other scenarios. It was just something I was thinking about cause I've taken a step out of the game right now, and all online games til I get my blood sugar issues balanced and the stress lets off a bit. Having people have tools to do that just seems like a good thing, and promotes positive mental health. :-)

Also oops! sorry I posted this in the wrong spot, I had done it as I woke up :p
i just ask to be banned
Easy medal too! smile