Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shambler tuning
Has something changed recently to Abominations that has now made them powerhouses? As always, not directly but perhaps something has a knock-on effect in the code to make them buff?

I mean they always were strong, but I've had very few issues fighting them in the past.

The previous meta for fighting abominations was to simply keep your distance, deprive it of food, it's currently burning its calories by being in this form so run away. That's why it has the Screech ability, to daze players so it can shorten the distance. If the Abomination is showing no signs of stopping, you order AI to bolt that bitch down and wait. Either then it'll escape via space (and revert as there's no food in a vacuum) or revert right there to its own detriment.

It appears with the fresh introduction of new players, that people seem to think rushing the abomination armed simply with a fire extinguisher will suffice? Because they'll just get stunlocked and eaten in seconds, naturally. This probably is only exasperating the current unbalances with Abomination, bringing them out into the limelight.

-----

My suggestions?

1. Look into its current speed. That's one of the balances of abomination - it was meant to be lumbering and slow, a death certificate if it's got you cornered, but if you meet it in a hallway, you should always be able to sprint away from it. Abominations should not be running around hunting people, it's not its design.
The new sprint / run mechanics has probably given this beast a lil boost. Fine tune it.

2. Nerf the fire resist gene. Yeah, that's a tad bit silly, even for it's human form. I wouldn't go so far as the innate fire weakness overriding the gene completely, but I'd make it so that you have reduced fire damage rather than full immunity. 

3. The Maintain Form DNA cost is wonked. As Tam pointed out, it's meant to be 1 DNA per 2 seconds, not 1 every 4. That's no bueno. No wonder its form is being sustained for so long.

4. Remove Suplex stunlock - Keep punch stunlock. Let's be clear, a 3 vs 1 fight of a bunch of assistants vs abom will naturally result in 3 course meal. That's the reality, as I stated before, if you're not armed correctly your best strategy is to run away and order the AI to observe it so you can target the abomination as soon as it reverts. 

However 3 prepared players vs 1 abomination should be neck and neck. Keep your distance, don't get punched, drag away players to prevent feeding. The suplex stunlock kind of changes this, as it allows you to keep one player constantly down by tapping C, while your punch keeps another player down and your neuro has knocked out/messed up the other. If the abomination has any stun weaponry, that's game over man.

I'd remove the suplex stunlock entirely, but i'd keep the punch stunlock. 

The punch stunlock comes at a caveat that it knocks the players across the room - if this isn't happening or has changed, then the knock needs to guaranteed, as again it reinforces the concept that the abom in a slow and lumbering beast, when you actively push your food to the other end of the room that's detrimental to yourself.

---

All those other points regarding sustainability are a bit meh when you consider the maintain form is wonked.

Messages In This Thread
Shambler tuning - by RichardGere - 06-30-2020, 07:03 PM
RE: Shambler tuning - by Tarmunora - 06-30-2020, 07:08 PM
RE: Shambler tuning - by DJ-Fireball_did_this - 06-30-2020, 07:12 PM
RE: Shambler tuning - by GORE - 06-30-2020, 09:12 PM
RE: Shambler tuning - by GORE - 06-30-2020, 10:41 PM
RE: Shambler tuning - by SageAcrin - 06-30-2020, 11:16 PM
RE: Shambler tuning - by Sundance - 07-01-2020, 03:03 AM
RE: Shambler tuning - by TDHooligan - 07-02-2020, 04:35 PM