Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nano-Fab Item Ideas
While most of these could be crafted like items in the fab normally are, I'm not against the idea of having to print parts and assemble the item outside of the fab with tools and time to put them together. 

Crossbow
The ability to reload while standing still and then move and fire later. I know how much we enjoy drawing a bow for five seconds and not being able to move after that to fire. To eliminate people stacking these, they probably shouldn't be allowed to be put in bags and they should be two handed weapons as well.
+ String Material: Something organic, not sure what property we would use but it could influence projectile damage.
+ Stock Material: Aside from making it aesthetically pleasing, this could influence melee bashing damage.
+ Frame Material: The metal parts, not sure if there's a better word. Maybe it could affect draw speed?
+ Optional mod: the ability to load multiple arrows in like a repeating crossbow, but it would take forever to reload before and after firing them.

Armored Gloves (Redesign)
Currently you only use one material and you have to mix and match with the crucible if you want protections and resistances, it's kind of a pain in the ass.
+ Base material: Uses resistance and conductivity values
+ Armor material: Uses toughness to give armor values
+ Optional mod: energy cell

Ballistic Vest
Only works against projectiles that aren't energy based.
+ Base Fabric: Resistances I guess
+ Armor Plate: Toughness

Stab Proof Vest
Mostly for melee resistance.
+ Base Fabric
+ Armor plate? Perhaps this is achieved through a weave of different fabrics?

Energy Resistant Vest
Not capable of reflection, just absorbing/mitigating/redistributing the burn from lasers and other energy attacks.
+ Base Fabric
+ Wires? Maybe something with conductivity or temperature resistances? The idea is that the vest acts like a heat sink that redistributes the heat and lowers the damage you receive overall, but maybe multiple attacks heat up the vest too much and light you on fire or deal burn until it cools off or something. That sounds difficult to code, though. 

That's all I could think of. Thoughts? Ideas?
Honestly I don't understand why these and many other cool designs/matsci stuff are shoved into the nano-fab instead of the "normal" ones (robotics, general, pod part, etc).
To put materials to greater use.

At least the crossbow has great potential for some special starstone interaction.
Load it up with starstone and chems and a miniscule amount of said chem will be applied when shooting to the arrow.

Of course starstone chem arrows in and of themselves will also work wonders.
What about a laser version of the zipgun? It could be constructed with an energy cell, a flashlight, and some wiring or whatever.