Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fix wizard spells that bypass chaplain's immunity
Discussed this on the discord. It is counterintuitive to have chaplain be immune to all spells except for 4 (prismatic spray, staff of cthulhu, golems, skeletons) with no explanation as to why these three bypass immunity. Their immunity should be an all-or-nothing deal, otherwise it is a newbie trap where chaplains that are told they are immune to wizard spells get murdered by the 4 that they are inexplicably not immune to.
I doubt that they are immune to fireball - aye?

What about Skeletons attacking them? Ain't that the same as Golems attacking them?
Hrm, if I recall correctly chaplains are also not immune to fireball? I could be wrong though.

My thoughts on the matter are this: Perhaps the chaplain being immune to the more mental based spells and bad effects due to their devote faith is fine, but I don't think they should be completely immune to some of the more physical and worldly based things. Maybe chaplains take normal projectiles at normal, the staff deal and critters summoned/created by wizards could be less effective or more easily dispatched -staff could deal just brute to chaplain while bible thwacks from a chaplain on wiz critters could dispell them or on golems could counter the smoke effect on death-, and then chaplain immunity to polymorph, blind, arse nath, etc. could stay as is at full immunity.
Full on agree with Drago!
(07-01-2020, 08:08 AM)GORE Wrote: I doubt that they are immune to fireball - aye?

What about Skeletons attacking them? Ain't that the same as Golems attacking them?

(07-01-2020, 08:16 AM)Drago156 Wrote: Hrm, if I recall correctly chaplains are also not immune to fireball? I could be wrong though.

Fireball: They nullify the fireball on direct hits but can take splash damage from the explosion if it misses them. Fixing this would require significant effort.
Skeletons: I forgot about them in op. will correct this
If the chaplain eats a fireball directly, it does absolutely nothing afaik. It doesn't even set them on fire, a neat message pops on the screen. I could be wrong about this, but i'm almost certain.

The strat there is to shoot a nearby object to initiate the explosion.

As for the three spells mentioned - sure. The chaplain is meant to be a neutral foil against the wizard and it doesn't make sense that some spells work while others are not.

The prismatic spray should do no damage (again, a neat message pops on the screen), nor should the staff of clthulu. The golems on the other hand simply do not target the chaplain unless aggro'd by the chaplain hitting it.