(Gore) - Scrubbo Trashdigger - [HoS Application #2]
Usual character name: Scrubbo Trashdigger
BYOND username: Emcee-Gore
Discord username (if you are on our discord): RISE AND SHINE, GOREDON CLOWNMAN
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: Goon2 mostly, Goon1 rarely

Reason for application:
Greetings! So this is my second application. I am interested in rising up in the ranks of the security team.
Working together to create enjoyable stories for every participant within a round is a key-feature of any HoS in my opinion. I took some time to take the critique of my first application to heart and try to integrate myself further into the key-part of the ol'squad.
WORKING TOGETHER.

Before I continue I shall link my first denied application for reference:
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=14452

Security experience (300 word minimum):
As remarked previously I was more often than not somewhat of a lone wolf - only trying to co-operate from time to time with other members of the squad. My temperament when facing crucial points within a round was certainly somewhat explosive.

I decided to apply again because I think I made some progress in that regard.
The last month I worked towards being way more relaxed within a round, regarding the true goal and reward of any confrontation between antags and non-antags, as well as co-operating with ones team. Taking a step back to communicate whenever possible: actively asking over the comms if anybody needs any help, informing the crew of information brought forward, Investigating crimes and saving dying crimers and civillians whenever possible.

Coming into contact with other players by checking out departments and being there for players that need an explanation regarding game mechanics is simply a crucial task of any security officer. Solving crimes while being drunk after returning from the bar and messing up big-time by being spaced by a treacherous clown. Funny stories that unfold and hopefully are more often not a result of people socially interacting.

I have tried to also take some time and take shifts working mostly in HQ; were it to coordinate people to crimes witnessed over the cameras or hull breaches I noticed while taking a gander around the station. It is not always a fight against baddies of course! Responding to calls of help - whether alone or in company of another one or two patrolling officers or the HoS is just as important.
Plainly: COMMUNICATION.

Deciding on what punishment a crimer deserves for oddly specific things - figuring this out with other officers or the HoS after having one of the ol'baddies in custody - situations like these are great to convey a story. I sincerely dislike removing other players permenantly from the current round; unless it is Nukies in like 98% of cases; one day I shall borg a Nukie after cutting out the explosive implant and have it fight its own previous comrades.
Point is: making sure to be reasonable. A vampire or changeling found out very early on should not necessarily de-brained. Granting them another shot to redeem themselves; re-integrate into society or having to help out in some department - will most likely lead to a funnier story for everyone involved.

We are not'ere to win a round all the time - but to have fun.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?

Remember the time I wrote that security officers should not torture MIMEs in custody? Point stands. I dislike them menacing silent clowns too; but no reason to keep'em cuffed for minutes on end and not interact with'em according to a person unable to speak.

Another piece of advice; tell your sec-mates where your disk is...or offer them to bring'em to the cloner and make sure they are already scanned in. Always nice to keep in mind.

A general piece of medical advice and especially useful for security in a hurry - for example: you found a dead person that might know something. Bring'em to the cloner, clone am and pour lots of medical beakers inside the vat. Watch the spaceman getting cloned in the blink of an eye!

Puh ... cut crimers and people in general some slack. Not everyone breaking into a place has bad intentions. The circumstances the station is facing are detremental to how one should sort their priorities.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)

Not necesarrily really specific - but surely I have tried to get to force the gangs to pay up for security to allow them to have their own HQ-locker stay somewhere. As long as they promised to not break any crimes. Of course - once they were a threat the offer was from the table.

Just essentially getting in contact with people before situations between antags and non-antags resolve into fights puts a whole different more personal spin on any conflict. They aren't bland foes anymore - nay - you talked to'em and that surely is a special temporary bond.

Other than that - during the latest ASSJAM I tried out the HoS role for that day quite a lot. There was a whole lot of craziness going on and I tried my best to be a good part of the round.

There also was a fun round on ASSJAM (not sure what I was there) - the crab-gun was still the most OP thing. Crabbing more often than not 20-30 people in a round. The early crazy part.Anyway - I think I managed to get a crabgun from a crimer. Macho-Man was running rampant in medbay, bashing into other people and trying to hunt me down. He took many shots...more than any usual person...but in the end, after some other guy and were fighting him at once...I...I managed the unspeakable! Macho-Crab was born!

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?

How about either a Detective and HoS specific item? So both would get one of those...here goes - - - A mobile phone!You heard me correct! This brand-new device would be able to receive direct calls and could be answered on the go - as long as no solar-flare is occuring.The luxury to not just write PDA messages but to stay more directly in contact and vape through phones on the go! What a blessing!

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

Well - when alone I still try to interact with other players; nothing changed there. If an AI is available or some cool borgs I will of course try to involve them in crime-solving if they are interested. At least the first few players that I can reckon to trust at the start of a round; followed by lots of communication between them and others.

Making friends in various departments by checking the places on the station out - like on patrol.

Staying in HQ and wait for anybody to request help. Asking Command staff for any usage for my job...lots of these casual situations unfold on a solo-security round.

On security team rounds I have taken a liking to become a more stationary officer in one department; like a medbay officer. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Cluwne is green, Clown is red

A security officer wearing blue shall not bleed - not fret

For he the cards foretold he is immune to lead

his form be growing old; not soon to be one dead

Alive and well he grow

But wizard picks a cow

The spell is cast

Flashing vast

Mr. Sec is a Mooeing officer at last!

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
A cooking competition! Crimers and non-crimers alike would be able to bake the best cake or general food in the public market! Perhaps even some known-crimers could use this as rehablitation therapy?

Getting the wizard to read tarrot cards to people and tell them about their future; or converse that wizard into working together with the clown on a magic-show!

Draw a picture![Image: ud1OKGO.png]  
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None since the last application.
Before that I was banned once for one day I reckon - excessive lubing as a non-antag clown that was.
As well as once on Oshan for (1 hour and then instantaneously removed) - unsure of the exact reason.
P.S. sorry for the mashed up formatting.

The imgur link didn't work at first and then copy pasting it to a new thread messed it all up. :/
I designed it to be readable at first. I promise.
I've had a read through your last application and I agree with many of the posters there, and from what I've seen in-game I still think that you need a bit more experience playing security and command roles before I can support you for this. You're definitely on the right trajectory, but in my mind HoS players need to have a deep understanding of both the mechanics of the game and the flow of a good round - and you don't quite have it down pat, yet. You're clearly working on instilling the right mindset, but I think this second application is still a couple months premature.

Both your applications are really good and I've seen some increasingly good, mindful play from you, though, so definitely don't be discouraged!
Thanks for the feedback Rodney, I greatly appreciate it! smile

May I ask you what you mean by mechanics of the game?
As far as I know there are just two game mechanic systems left that I have not bothered to learn to their full extend yet; being Packet-Nerding and all the intricate blocking mechanics.
I haven't really been on much during the last two weeks given my hiatus, but I've caught a few rounds with you the few nights before posting this, and I have definitely noticed a major improvement since your last application. However, I have to agree with Rodney that while you're getting there, I don't think you're quite ready just yet. Being eager to have a second chance at this and wanting to throw up your app ASAP is understandable, but experience comes best with time. Maybe press on the brakes just a smidge and I'd think you'd be all set for the beret.

As Rodney said, don't let this discourage you, and instead consider it as motivation, that you are getting to your goal and it is in your reach.
Hey howdy. I play SEC lots so I'm with GORE quite a bit. I don't particularly *like* him but for what it's worth, we are often in the same dept.
I'll concede to the previous accusations, he was mean at times to Crew and even SEC. Though I myself have never been the victim of this.
Lots of times he was one of those SEC who wouldn't respond to calls and just disappear to get drunk or mess around somewhere.

All said, I feel as though this was simply inexperience on his part. As time has gone on he has discontinued such "problematic" tendencies.
Following through with advice from the last Application, he's improved in many regards. He has stopped disappearing, stopped abusing crew, started talking a lot more over the radio, ETC.

My final concerns would be just two things. For one it'd simply be that he has yet to show *real* leadership. I'd love for him to just order the rest of us around, even if he's not HoS. A Leader should COMMAND respect. At times, Staffies can be so respectable that even as SEC I'll follow their orders/plans. I know I'd follow yours, too, if you only gave them. Even if they tell you to piss off, when you succeed they'll look like idiots.
Aside from that, I've yet to have an experience where you prove yourself able to uphold rule of law in the face of extreme difficulty.
When another SEC tries executing prisoners, I wanna see you gun him down and demote if necessary. *Real* initiative to maintain order.

Lastly, your personality as of late seems forced. I think you should just be yourself, Gore, don't try to appear giddy & kind for the sake of this application. I'd prefer you were yourself, for better or worse. Different HoS' have different personalities.
OMJ is -- quite something. Many say he's mean. I disagree. Mr.Green is *very* helpful to others. Knight Torun is quiet and Stoic.
It was obvious to me you were going to reapply again. I felt like you were being nice so that I'd speak kindly of you for the application.

Ultimately I'd give this a +.5. I wouldn't hold his past against him forever. I'm sure we're all capable of change.
However, this is purely b/c of the Leadership concerns. I think once you learn that better, you'll make a fine HoS.
GIVE US ORDERS. Correct us according to space law. Uphold it even when it is difficult to do so.
PROVE you're HoS material before you're even appointed as HoS.

I didn't speak up for your last application b/c I would've given a -1, though I didn't feel strongly about that so I said nothing.
RODNEY I'd like to hear what you meant by "Mechanics and gameflow" btw.
First of I wanna thank Drago and you Chayot for replying and giving some critique; especially that you Chayot went to such great lengths to elaborate and point out specific aspects of my behaviour.

Regarding the aspect of COMMAND - yeah. I stepped back quite a bit from ordering people around and changed towards communicating with them; giving ideas on what to do or asking for help when necessary. The main critique of my last application seemed to be that I was not working in a team very well, thus I wanted to show that I was capable of working in a team and making sure that said team was working together well.
Punishments for crimers are nowadays communicated by me to the rest of the security department - even if some of those crimers are getting annoyed about me keeping them waiting while the HoS is on his way to arrive on the scene. I particularly tried to inform the security department of every incarceration and the crew of the most vile dangers lurking.
To be fair it is not happening a lot that hire greytiders to fight crime - but it happens. There have been rounds when I got someone brigged for hurting someone else or stealing from others and then a few seconds later a much greater danger would appear. More often than not I would simply go ahead and arm the crimer, telling them where the menace is lurking (nukies) and work together on stopping those vile forces. Quite distinctly I remember a round (not nukies I reckon) when I was in security alone at the start of the round but I managed to recruit a humanized monkey (who was hilariously still acting out being a monkey) and later on another strange fellow.

Lately I simply put more weight on communication and socilization between people. It has been my goal to make sure everyone can have a wee of fun.

---

Concerning my personality...hm - reckon that I try to keep calm even when my emotions are peaking in one way or another. Thing is...I tried finding out which sorta behaviour-scheme would work the best in that enviroment. If I simply fall back on speaking my unfiltered mind all the time I would be way more problematic to deal with. I cannot change that I would sometimes like to rip someones face and eyeballs out - but that is just me and my Borderline personality disorder.

Through time I achieved to look at the game in a more relaxed state of mind, but still. I cannot get my bad emotions get a hold of me - and I can never change those vile thoughts popping up. I can simply be aware of my problems and try the best to keep'em at bay, through any means. On that regard I think to have suceeded.

Chayot - you seem to have played with me a bunch'o times together on the security department and fair enough parts of my behaviour are meticulously optimized for the enjoyment of everyone. But I wouldn't say that I am hiding my personality. When something boggles me I speak up and remark that - simply to say what has changed is that my approach to these kinds of situations has been regularized. It's hard making sure my brain ain't fucking me over but I am doing my best to work on my behaviour and build up good will between all players and myself; even those that might still hold a grudge against me due to previous problematic occurances in the past.

---

Anyway - I thank you for pointing these concerns out and will try to find a healthy mix between teamwork as in speaking about a plan and communicating all the time and taking a stance to command folks around when the situation deems this necessary.

Have a good one. smile
Even as I was Antagonist, considering my only recent security-related experience with you, was you, as a non-antag test subject monkey, arresting me with stolen security equipment, removing both my PDA, ID and Radio Headset from me and then running around the station away from other crewmembers for over 15 minutes with me GrabCuffed unable to break free or interact with anyone, as opposed to directly handing me over to security or killing me. This is not the behaviour I would expect from someone who intends to play HoS-or a regular Security role for that matter.

This, alongside with multiple occasions of you rouging the AI to defend you or otherwise benefit you and only you as non-antag really doesn't scream HoS material to me.

This also does not account for your reply to KevKev's application and thus inability to comply with the simple rule that you must not reply to other applications should you have your own open.

None of this at all feels like HoS Behaviour whatsoever. Personally, its a no from me.
Regarding the last part - sorry; I was not aware that I should not reply to other applications with some honest feedback during the time I have my own open. My bad for making that mistake.

---

Comrade f191 if you still wanna bring this up let's go for the mediation please...cause I feel like you are quite holding a grudge on me for that.

For anyone who was not with us in that round let me explain in detail what happened and how it all played out.

I was playing a test-subject monkey, yes and I did change the AI laws to something along the lines of "Make sure the station is comfortable to monkeys; as well as keeping an eye on me." - though I would hardly say that this round was as you put it 'multiple occasions' and 'roguing the AI'. Adding some fun and non-harmful laws is something I definitely like to see when playing Borg or AI myself and as this law was not harmful whatsoever I do not see a problem with adding that as a role I put alongside clown and mime (chaos wise).

Now then what happened between me and Comrade f191?

I went to robotics to receive a machine translator implant...but he asked me to follow him into maintenance...where he took a half a minute to try and shove me into a robotics traitor borger. I watched...and watched and did not try to fight him from one second to the next. It was only at the point that he either grabbed or punched me that I retaliated and overwhelmed him by stunning and cuffing him.

I asked him through notes why he attacked me and was simply asking for a mere explanation...but even after writing the second note nothing happened.

The next are we went to was security. I wrote a note to security detailing what had happened and showed them to an officer in front of security. Pointing at it and overall making myself noticeable. The officer then just turned around and walked into security without paying any notice to us,...

So I was back at square one. Unsure what to do after security ignored me I tried again to ask the dear roboticist for some explanation and that was really all I wanted...an apology perhaps.

He said only if I would uncuff him and give him everything back. Mind he had some traitor gear in his backpack an "Emagg" I think.

At that point I was fed-up with the none responses from security and the antag himself.

Thus I proceeded to borg him.

Later on we had a lengthy discussion on Discord how things went wrong here and there. Sure there was some sub-optimal play on my part but to be fair I tried to hand you over to security early on as I was quite overwhelmed with the situation...as it was already one of my freshest RP rounds in a long time. I can apologize to you a fourth time...but you gotta at least give me that I tried to call out to other players for help.

In total I wrote like 3 or 4 notes and communicated with a Kitty plush I think. Sadly people didn't seem to bother reacting to those pieces of media.

---

It would be nice to hear from you Comrade f191 what was the most recent security-related experience with me.
I do not consider a test-subject to be part of security...still you list it up here as though it were.

It is not uncommon that I play Scrubbo Trashdigger as a member of the security team 2-4 times a day.
I play my security role with great care and take time to explain the crimers the reason to why I am cuffing them and make sure that I dish out justice fairly.

I would greatly appreciate some actual feedback on when you have seen me play security and not when I was playing a monkey that was getting attacked by a traitor roboticist; which tried explaining that to the crew but still got jumped on by other players and ignored by the lone security officer himself.

It was pretty hard for me to not get overwhelmed as that monkey.

I hope you can reply to this. smile

Anyway; thanks for your feedback.

I add to that - the security equipment was not stolen...as it was merely a pair of handcuffs I received due to the arrest of Beepsky on me and the destruction of Beepsky by my own hands. I never robbed a security officer as said monkey.
No.

Frequently involved in often justifiably ahelped situations.
Yeah...close this one,...
Denied as it is.
People just think of me as a shitter anyways...though I try to be fair. :|
This application has been denied due to insufficient support. Take these criticisms into consideration, specifically cooperating with your fellow Sec officers as a team and developing a more level-headed approach when dealing with players, both antagonists and crew. As a Head of Security, you have the ability to dictate the flow of the round and other's enjoyment moreso than most other roles; it's important to act in the interest of the round and maintain a balance in order to facilitate a fun experience for everyone.

Take some time to develop these skills and consider reapplying in a few months time.