Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A whole bunch of medical ideas
I remembered some of the stuff I wanted to put but forgot when I was actually writing the thread so here's a bit more.

7) Nuke ops high capacity autoinjectors should be the same color as the regular emergency autoinjectors.  It makes it a lot harder to treat people in combat when you have to mouseover every autoinjector to know which one it is, and combat medic is already a pain in the ass.

8) Make blood move from your bloodstream to your bloodstream faster.  Hold on, let me rephrase that.  Make blood (the reagent) move from your bloodstream (your internal reagent container) to your bloodstream (your blood total) faster.  That's still not great.  Anyways, blood transfusions are kind of tricky to use well, to the point where it's probably better to just go with filgrastim and saline.  Blood leaves the blood bag a whole lot faster than it gets added to your blood total, which means that a blood transfusion is not actually a particularly fast way to get blood back in your veins.  I don't have the numbers so I don't really know quite how it works (I'm not even sure if, after everything is done and there's no more blood in your reagent container, there's a 1:1 ratio between "blood injected in you" and "blood regenerated"), but I do know that people tend to overshoot dramatically, keeping the blood pack in until the patient is at a safe level of blood.  Which is how it should work, but in practice this just results in someone with a healthy blood level and a whole lot of blood in their reagent container, which will, over time, push their blood level to dangerously high levels.  Knowing the actual numbers as to how this works would help, but I don't and they're not on the wiki so the best I can do right now is type blood way too much and confuse myself.

9) Bandages should be more useful.  They're cool, still included with medical stuff (the nukeops combat medic gets two full rolls, for instance), and are never, ever used.  Because, as I noted earlier, styptic powder and synthflesh will rapidly heal all bleeding.  In addition, in any situation that you could bandage someone, you can also use a suture.  Sutures are infinite use and, in my experience, suturing seems to complete faster than bandaging does, especially if the person being sutured is on a bed or operating table.
One possibility here is to make it so suturing only works in situations where you could perform surgery.  If someone's standing up they're just squirming too much to safely stitch them up.  Of course, that doesn't really deal with the styptic/synthflesh issue, and I'm not totally sure how to go about doing that.  Possibly introduce a bandaged status effect that heals BLEED over time, so people will be resistant to bleeding after being bandaged.  Perhaps it could also heal some BRUTE over time, giving you an option for dealing with minor injuries that you don't want to waste a patch on.  Bandage yourself up and let natural healing take over.  Wouldn't really get doctors to use them more, what with automenders, but maybe staffies will find a use for them then.
That said, you could always just treat bandages as obsolete and relegate them to the dusty first aid kits.  As neat as they are, this might be the best solution.

Messages In This Thread
A whole bunch of medical ideas - by Mouse - 06-22-2020, 07:45 AM
RE: A whole bunch of medical ideas - by Mouse - 06-26-2020, 06:12 AM
RE: A whole bunch of medical ideas - by Superlagg - 06-27-2020, 08:18 PM
RE: A whole bunch of medical ideas - by Mouse - 06-28-2020, 03:25 AM