Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Complaint Sageacrin-LLJK 6/7/20
Admin: Sageacrin
Server: Main server I think, LLJK one on the hub

Synopsis: So I died fairly early in the round, and was just lingering there as a ghost watching the round when I got hit with this message(not exact):

Would you like to become a midround antagonist?

I voted yes. A couple of minutes later, I spawned in as a bird on the arrivals shuttle along with some other birds. I figured this was the midround antagonist. I havent played on goon a lot and so having birds be antagonists didnt seem very out there. I started attacking other humans as a space bird. It was actually pretty fun, for some reason i was killing people pretty fast with my attacks which I later learned might be a bug? After I killed a couple people, Sageacrin adminhelped me with this:

Admin PM from SageAcrin
So why are you assaulting the living?
< Click to Reply >

and then immediately after with this

Admin PM from SageAcrin
Using a bug?
< Click to Reply >

I was confused and wrote:

Reply PM to-SageAcrin: i thought im antag?

Sage ignored my reply and said this

Admin PM from SageAcrin
Did you get that message?
< Click to Reply >

And then another rapid message before i was able to reply

Admin PM from SageAcrin
Did something about "small bird" scream "antagonist"
< Click to Reply >

I havent played on goonstation much, but ive been murdered by plenty of weird things on this server already so Im not sure why getting murdered by a space bird is that out there. This rhetorical question only served to further confuse me. 

I replied to him "yes I got the message" at this point I was pretty confused what was going on and what he was even asking me.

He then sent me this:
Admin PM from SageAcrin
You just lied to my face. What do you think I think of that, as an admin?
< Click to Reply >

I was really confused now. I'm being accused of being a liar even though I wasnt exactly sure what he was asking me.  I put two and two together at this point and realized that i apparently wasnt supposed to be an antag so i explained why i thought i was:

Reply PM to-SageAcrin: it said "do you want to be an antagonist mid round" or somethng i said yes and then i became a bird i figured that was it

Admin PM from SageAcrin
Ooooh. Weird timing.
< Click to Reply >

Admin PM from SageAcrin
But at the same time; how do you know how to use that bug?
< Click to Reply >

Im not even sure what bug sage is referring to, and still dont as it was never explained exactly what i did wrong that i almost got wrongly banned for. Again, I've barely played the server, I wouldnt even know where to start with bug exploits even if I tried. I didnt even know space birds were a thing until that round.

Reply PM to-SageAcrin: what bug?

At this point i was sure i was about to get banned so i quickly replied

HELP: You: ive barely played this server dude i dont even know whats going on half the time 

Admin PM from SageAcrin
Hmmm. Alright, sorry. I was under the impression a bug was moderate level when, on conferring with a coder, it is in fact SEVERE.
< Click to Reply >

Admin PM from SageAcrin
You're clear, thanks for putting up with me. Your reward is a normal person respawn. Not an antag one though!
< Click to Reply >

So sage apparently talks to a coder and discovers a bug. Im assuming the bug has something to do with the incredible power of the bird, or maybe birds arent supposed to attack humans. Either way, it wasnt explained to me clearly what I was accused of doing wrong.

This brings me to the main reason I posted this complaint.

Admin PM from SageAcrin
< Click to Reply >

What a response. Before I was even able to properly explain myself, I was already being accused of lying and given a thinly veiled threat. This kind of behavior is not what I would really expect from an admin. The entire conversation I had with sage, or rather interrogation, reeked of condescension and malice. I understand he thought I was a non-antag going around murdering people, but the rhetorical questions and bad attitude didn't seem very becoming of an admin. If youre going to ban someone, just get the facts, if it was a mistake or bug like this then drop it, and if they were acting in bad faith ban them, but dont power trip and threaten people and lord your "power" as an admin over them while doing it. I should also point out if I was griefing or acting in bad faith, then why did I immediately stop killing people when ahelped? If I was a random griffer wouldnt i just keep going until I was banned? 

Just drop the condescending tone and rhetorical questions. Coming from a player who was playing the game in good faith, its off-putting and rude, and also confuses the player when you do that.
Quote:SageAcrin/Escha Thermic -> Maskoff/space kea
Goonstation ADMINPM
Maskoff/space kea -> SageAcrin/Escha Thermic
it said "do you want to be an antagonist mid round" or somethng i said yes and then i became a bird i figured that was it
Goonstation ADMINPM
Maskoff/space kea -> SageAcrin/Escha Thermic
what did i lie about
Goonstation ADMINPM
[12:46 AM]
SageAcrin/Escha Thermic -> Maskoff/space kea
Ooooh. Weird timing.
Goonstation ADMINPM

You never, ever got a popup saying you were an antagonist-you really, really did lie to my face straight up in that regard. Maybe you misunderstood the question I was asking, though, and that lie was an accident.

(Edit: The phrasology of this part got discussed a lot by several admins; is it really a lie if someone misunderstands the question? I was thinking it was more kind to say "Someone lied to me by negliegence-not reading what I was asking" than say "you were wrong like three minutes ago, what say you"-and a lot less condescending. However, on the idea of tone-perhaps not? Hopefully you get the idea, with the note, that I mostly just mean "you did not answer my question as asked with the knowledge you should have had based on our conversation".)

You did, however, get an antag popup saying you had a chance to be an antag, then well past the normal time, you were part of a group of people made into birds. Hence my reaction of "Ooooooh. Weird timing." In which I immediately switched around my tone. I should indeed have been more verbose with you, but I was trying to clear up multiple issues at once.

Now I could have taken that as a constructed excuse on your part to do murder. It's possible indeed that it was. But I choose not to because I do. Still choose not to in fact.

As to your comments-you were not an antagonist and if you'd read that popup, the idea that you, as a crowd of four birds and one wasp, were all the one antagonist, might have been suspect and worth asking admins before you started beating people to death. As I said, it was a little odd that you jumped straight to the murder-let alone killing multiple people... But, again; no skin off my nose, this isn't something that went into your notes or I considered banning you for, I just wanted some answers. I'm sorry my tone upset you, but I don't feel any major mistakes were made for accusing your of jumping the gun straight to murder-you should not have.

I do feel some ones were made though on the end where the exploit is concerned, and I hope I addressed that-I legitimately regret accusing you of exploiting when, apparently, literally anyone can mash a damn mouse right now and do that. I was not aware of that, and I apologize.

Also I'm not sure how I'm condescending. I'm trying to go as straight from point A to B on this as possible-in response to the last few times I've had people call me condescending. vOv

I do come across as harsh, and I apologize. But generally speaking I'm more worried about people getting killed than the people killing them, and somehow this gets people ticked at me. Go figure. What I want to do usually is resolve things as fast as I can so I can heal people and we can all continue normally-time consumed is people who don't know to APM not getting revived and losing their round, or spending 20 minutes dead as I log dive.

Edit 2: On more discussion, I'm adding an octopus in a top hat to this, in the hopes that literally anything makes me less goddamn stern seeming, because fuck sometimes I come across like a rock statue.

[Image: Screenshot_20200605-135829_Gallery.jpg]