Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of references to movies, series, books and other stuff on Goonstation
I am not quite sure, but I think the Shakespearitis pathology symptom and its quotes could possibly be a reference to the works of William Shakespeare, a well known english poet.
(07-22-2020, 11:18 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I am not quite sure, but I think the Shakespearitis pathology symptom and its quotes could possibly be a reference to the works of William Shakespeare, a well known english poet.
i think you're on to something here
(07-22-2020, 11:18 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: I am not quite sure, but I think the Shakespearitis pathology symptom and its quotes could possibly be a reference to the works of William Shakespeare, a well known english poet.

Definetly onto something
The janitors jumpsuit is a reference to Roger Wilco, the main character of the Space Quest games

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/spac...0424065636
Obvious, but it hasn't been stated:

AIs 3 laws are a near direct copy of the purposefully flawed Asimov's Laws from the Isaac Asimov books, the same guy who did Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (adapted into the Blade Runner universe), I Robot, Bicentennial Man, etc. 

Also certain there's a Blade Runner reference somewhere, potentially surrounding the Detective? It's been ages since I've seen the film. 

Also using the Gnome inhand will trigger the "Youve been gnomed" meme laugh.
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep was Philip K Dick, not Asiimov
Shit you're right. Crossed through as a mark of shame.
The pizza in the morgue in some places may be a reference to Life & Death 2: The Brain (but probably not)
The grand alchemist robes reward is the outfit from Full Metal Alchemist, if I remember right.
"Is it really that time again?" is another Half-Life reference.

Some things I added were references to things, too.
The gnome you can find around the station is a reference to Avram Noam Chomsky, an American philosopher. It could also be a reference to the Left 4 Dead 2 version of Gnome Chomsky which you can carry to the end of the Dark Carnival campaign for an achievement. I say it COULD be a reference because I think the gnome chomsky joke was around before L4D2 and I'm not sure if the gnome was added to ss13 before or after l4d2 came out (:

Edit: just noticed you mentioned the gnome in the original post but I'm leaving this up since you didn't mention our boy Noam!
The "YEEAAAAHHHHHHH" when the Detective puts sunglasses on, and at the end of the game is a reference to the opening sequence of CSI: Miami / Puts on Sunglasses / (•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

The waldo & odlaw clothes/gamemode are a reference to Where's Waldo?

Buttcoins and the other random names are a parody of Bitcoins, along with the value that changes every time you examine it

The current year being 2053 & Chaos Dunks are references to The Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden Teaser. This is also where a lot of the basketball references come from, along with Space Jam.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED is a reference to The Screamer

Our martian race is based off of the Metal Slug games

Prison Loafs are a reference to Nutraloaf

Tomacco is from the Simpsons

Zoldorf is a reference to Zoltar

Being able to flush yourself through toilets with a Plumber's Uniform is a reference to Mario

The Chef having a Swedish accent is a reference to the Swedish Chef on the Muppet Show

The Satanic Fiddle is a reference to The Devil Went Down to Georgia and the Baroque period

Krampus, Santa, and all the other Christmas stuff is a reference to the real-life tales

Lawn Darts are a reference to, well, lawn darts

Cyborg Conversion Chambers (traitor item) are a reference to the Cybermen from Doctor Who

Medals:
1.21 Jiggawatts is a reference to Back To The Future
He's dead, Jim is a reference to Dr. Leonard McCoy in Star Trek: The Original Series
Icarus is a reference to the greek tale
It's frickin' freezing in here, Mr. Bigglesworth is a reference to Dr. Evil in Austin Powers
It's just a flesh wound! is a reference to Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Is it really that time again? is a reference to Half Life
It's not 'Door to Heaven' is a reference to Stargate
It'sa me, Mario is a reference to Mario
Manhattan Project is a reference to the US military project of the same name
Mostly Armless is a reference to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
My Bologna Has A First Name is a reference to the Oscar Meyer ad
Primum non nocere is a reference to the Hippocratic Oath
Progenitor might be a reference to the game Conduit, or just the word itself
Reefer Madness is a reference to the film of the same name
Nero is a reference to the Roman emperor
Red Hood is a reference to the DC superhero by the same name
Shut Up and Jam is a reference to the The Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden game & Space Jam.
Spamhaus is a reference to the international organization
Suitable? How about the Oubliette?! is a reference to Crusader Kings
That's no moon, that's a GOURMAND! and The Force is strong with this one are a reference to Star Wars
Silent Running is a reference to the film of the same name
This object menaces with spikes of... is a reference to Dwarf Fortress
Through the fire and flames is a reference to the song by Dragonforce
Too Fast Too Furious is a reference to The Fast and the Furious
Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see is a reference to the movie Event Horizon
We didn't start the fire is a reference to the song
Weird Science is a reference to the movie of the same name
You're no Elminster! is a reference to Dungeons & Dragons
You're a mean one... is a reference to The Grinch
Noah's Shuttle is a reference to Noah's Ark
Jimi Heselden is a reference to the person of the same name
Oh, Doctor! is a reference to the film of the same name
Newton's Crew is a reference to the movie Sunshine
Life, uh... finds a way is a reference to Jurassic Park
HUMANOID MUST NOT ESCAPE is a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey
Go away! 'Batin! is a reference to the movie Idiocracy
Dracula Jr. might be a reference to the film Son of Dracula
Dead or alive, you're coming with me is a reference to Robocop
Bill Masen is a reference to The Day of the Triffids
Better to burn out, than fade away is a reference to Highlander
Adjutant Online is a reference to StarCraft
A Holly Jolly Spacemas is a reference to the christmas song
100M dash is a reference to a beer mile
(07-31-2020, 11:12 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: The "YEEAAAAHHHHHHH" when the Detective puts sunglasses on, and at the end of the game is a reference to the opening sequence of CSI: Miami / Puts on Sunglasses / (•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

Im copying this and pushing the button in the bar...YEEAAAAHHHHHHH / (•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)
The D Sabers design is a reference to the beam katana weapon from the No More Heros games

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/nomo...0222024926
There's a certain pink starfish that is very likely in reference to a popular character from the show "Spongebob."
I know, sounds funny. Sometimes a certain badmin spawns it in, otherwise you can find it in CENTCOMM.
Though I won't reveal where. (as i don't really remember where)
The "Wishgranter" artifact (and to a lesser extent, the whole spontaneous and mysterious nature of artifacts) is a direct reference to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R franchise, which itself takes reference from old scifi book (a highly recommended read!!) Roadside Picnic.
I may be reaching, but I feel there's a small chance that the wizard's spell "Rathen's Secret", better known as "Arse Nath", is a reference to the character Mr. Rathen, an NPC monkey in an obscure game called Space Station 13. I could easily be wrong though.