Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update mentor applications
Apologies for the click bait title but I couldn't fit what I wanted to say due to the character limited.

What I wanted my title to say was "Update the mentor applications to mention that having a presence/part on the discord server has a significant impact on getting accepted"

This is something that has been acknowledged several times by many people so I think it's about time it get's publicly acknowledged as well.
I guess that's true, but that kind of goes without saying doesn't it? It could be useful to know if someone really wants to be mentor, but I don't know that it's necessary to state it that way when being on discord is not a hard requirement.
The way recommendations work is by other people knowing a player and recognizing that they are good and can contribute. Of course being more active in the community would increase your chances.
"I guess that's true, but that kind of goes without saying doesn't it? "
I mean, not really? IMO, to a new comer being a mentor seems like a role that's mainly dependent on your knowledge of the game, not community opinion.

"Be more active" is kind of a silly thing to say IMO as well. Being active doesn't equal people remembering you, especially if you play with random names, play with multiple characters or just straight up on a different time zone from others.
I think it makes does go without saying, considering the bigger part of mentor IMO isn't really knowledge of the game (although that is important), but people trusting you to not abuse the info you get. If nobody can vouch for your character, you're shit outta luck.
An applicant can't verify their knowledge without someone else actually seeing them in game confirming that they know stuff. It's not like we have a test required to become mentor (which would be dumb don't do that), so the only other course of option is that people need to recognize you to some degree, and make their judgements on that.
A well-written application can only take you so far, since plenty of people can whip up a decent sounding few paragraphs. Community involvement is an easy way to back up those words with actions, which are a bit more tangible.