Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lights: Changes to light installation & a Borg tool
Lightbulb 
I'll keep this brief. 

Darkness is now very dark. Pitch black inky darkness. Light, and by extension the replacement of light bulbs, has now become important for actual functionality.

Now to the point: The Engineering Borg is very good at repairing breaches and general building. But once it's done all that, it's now faced with a pitch black room. This is a glaring issue and very disheartening when playing as a borg to the point where the Engineering module is practically obsolete when repairing.

A simple tool would fix this, a Light Fixture Installer or Light Tool for short. 

The light tool is very simple. Hit wall/floor to install fixture. Press in hand to switch between tubes, bulbs and floor fixtures. Clicking a fixture with the appropriate setting (i.e Tube setting for tube fixtures, etc) will install a plain white light.

While this suggestion was to include the Light Tool to also install different colored lights, I saw this causing bloat. A small change to how lights are installed in conjunction with this, which borgs can avail of, is also necessary.

Light boxes now are like sticker/patch boxes, containing twice as much lights (the glass cost doubled to reflect this). Clicking the box will pull out a light (like stickers/patches). Clicking-dragging the box to the fixture will also install the light. 

This makes makes lights far less inventory greedy (fucking bag of boxes is lame), easier (no more rummaging in boxes, as it works like stickers), and the click-drag allows borgs to install any light necessary.

These changes are long overdue, but are pretty important now that light has been made dark as heck.

TL;DR:

1. Borgs have a Light Installer to install any light fixture and replace standard lights
2. Light boxes produced at the GM are like stickers/patches, with twice as much and work with click-drag.
I'd prefer for the tool to have 2 modes: Build and Replace. Build just makes a new fixture. Replace replaces a light tube in an existing fixture. Would make it SO MUCH EASIER to fix busted light tubes in a hallway or something.

But otherwise, this is a really fucking important thing that needs to be implemented. Light is 100% necessary for station functions and without it... well you can't do jack shit.
I like both of those ideas. I definitely want some more focus on repairing lights rather than just running around with a flashlight and these both seem like very good QoL changes for that.
(06-16-2020, 07:57 AM)aft2001 Wrote: I'd prefer for the tool to have 2 modes: Build and Replace. Build just makes a new fixture. Replace replaces a light tube in an existing fixture. Would make it SO MUCH EASIER to fix busted light tubes in a hallway or something.

But otherwise, this is a really fucking important thing that needs to be implemented. Light is 100% necessary for station functions and without it... well you can't do jack shit.

I was thinking that hitting an existing fixture with the light installer with the appropriate setting (i.e: Hit a light tube fixture with the tube setting) will automatically install a plain white light. If the borg wants to do some modification, like install a red light, then it would require to go to a GM. That would mean it doesn't need to have any other "modes" and can just cycle the types via in hand. Less complicated the better. Edit: I've edited the OP to include this!
Oh god yes. I've been wanting a way for Borg to fix lights for so long ;-;
Why not,...

Mode 1. - New light fixture - Installs a plain white light.

Mode 2. - Replace broken light - Installs the light color which has been broken; if the broken tube is still inside the fixture. Otherwise just install a plain white light.
I'd give the borg tool a color selector that works like picking out hair dyes.

Use tool in self to pick color, click fixture to swap, click empty space to build.

The light boxes though is perfect
I like this idea. I would like to see it further added they can repair lightbulbs instead of just replacing them, for a portion of energy of course. Makes fixing lights a bit easier.
Definitely needed
Party-light-bots!

At least the brobo-cop or civillian-module should receive the light-changer tool,...

While the engineer should receive the light-changer anr light-builder tool,...
Ye I was definitely thinking a "fancy" bulb tool for the civi module given they have other janitor bits.