Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.13 Average
Cogmap1 Remaster
While Cogmap1 Is one of the oldest still used maps, and currently the one most often played, its age is starting to show. From still using the old access system to lacking some things of which newer maps have, ie fancy lights and walls. 
I plan on doing a...Remaster...of Cogmap 1. This would be a complete rebuild of the map using newer techniques and with some things shuffled around.

Due to Cog1's defining feature being that most people are familiar with the layout, I plan for the most part to keep this the same, of course with many minor differences and the rooms being in completely different layouts.

In this thread, I ask that you please scream say what you see as the most glaring issues with Cogmap1, and what you feel a Cogmap1 Remaster should  have.
Edit: i know i said scream but didn't mean it literally, please make your posts easy to read, thanks!
Edit2: I should specify, this is not a modify of the existing Cogmap1. This will be a completely new map using Cogmap1 as a guide and keeping most rooms in the same area, rooms will for the most part not share the same shape nor layout as their Cogmap1 equivalent
MAKE THE PURGE PIPES SAFER
PUT A TRANSPORT CHUTE BETWEEN DISPOSALS AND WAREHOUSE
USE NEW WINDOORS THE PERSPECTIVE ONES
GIVE MEDBAY WAY MORE SPACE
SPAWN MORTY WHERE HE ISN'T A FUCKING NUISANCE
LABEL EVERY EJECTION CHUTE BRIGHT RED
GIVE FUCKLOADS MORE BELTS TO QM
USE PODBAY FORCE FIELDS
PUT A ROUNDSTART ROCK DRILL IN MINING PODBAY AND LIMIT HOW FAR THE PODS CAN GO OUTSIDE OF THE MINING MAGNET IF SOMEONE CHOOSES TO DO THAT, MAYBE WITH A RING OF SPACED OUT WALLS NO IDEA GO WILD
PUT THE CHAPEL WHERE THE POOL IS, BOTANY WHERE TOOL STORAGE IS, JUST GENERALLY SQUISH UP THAT AREA EVERYBODY HATES HOW FAR IT IS
GIVE TELESCI PLASMA WINDOW
KEEP ALL THE WELDER TANKS UNDER LIGHTS ESPECIALLY IN TOXINS STORAGE
MOVE THE TEST CHAMBER AWAY A LITTLE OR GO CRAZY WITH A TRIPLE RWALL
MAKE DORMS LOOK NOT SHIT (and add boltable doors... haha jk jk.....)
EXPAND UPON THE CONCEPT OF AIR HOOKUPS MAYBE WITH PLACES WHERE THEY'RE ALREADY HOOKED UP TO VENTS BUT NOT INJECTORS SO THEY REPRESSURIZE THE ROOMS IF THERE'S A BREACH
MAKE THE OBSERVATORY ACTUALLY COOL MAYBE WITH AN AMBIENT SOUND AND A NEAT CARPET AND ARMCHAIRS I DUNNO
REDUCE CAMERA COVERAGE IN MAINT
ok ideas have been scremt
More Borg chargers. Especially near security, maybe some in maintenance.

Fix weird maintenance access rights for bartender/chef.
Make Science and Mining more public facing.

Hydroponics has a lobby that's good for selling kush, Sec has a waiting area and little booth that's really good for portable flashers, Medbay has a nice big and open entrance, and Cargo has glass letting you peer into its inner workings. But Mining and Science, they don't quite have that. Mining's entrance is kinda squished into a corner, and it's honestly pretty sad (and difficult for someone new to notice), while science has a telescience area that's open to public once you open the shutters, and it kinda works, but you know, There's Gotta Be a Better Way.

I'm not too sure what a more public facing science and and mining would look like. Best idea I have for mining is to give the tiles outside those yellow tiles similar to the ones within mining, convert the engineering airlock into a glass airlock, and replace one of the reinforced walls with glass or maybe even a window booth area like sec's. For science, thebest idea I have to make the shutters start down at start, and like trerri said, make them plasmaglass. But I'm open to other ideas, of course.
Morty has to be a nuisance. That is his whole deal!
If you're planning to remove thindows and replace them with modern variations - medbay needs a complete redesign, from the scratch. Being able to reach nanomeds through thindows is a big advantage that will be gone with introduction of modern windows. Also pharmacy room with chem dispenser and glass recycler would be great

Armory should be a bit more secure than it is currently, Kondaru is a great example of a good armory design.

It would also be nice to have a redesigned science test chamber, perhaps more isolated and slightly bigger? Although not a necessity, I just like cog2 and oshan test chambers and I'd like to see something similar on cog1
The test chamber is already in a corner and as such can be easily pushed out Southwest to make it more isolated - I think it's a great idea!

Also giving Chem plasmaglass windows might not be a bad idea considering how often it explodes.

This is also just my own thing as an AI main, but putting some consoles in the AI Core (not upload) would be handy-dandy (namely Security, Medical, QM, Communications, a DWAINE console, and a ThinkDOS computer, in order of how much I'd like them from most to least)
In all honesty - I like the test chamber the current way it is.
Sure there can be some minor damage to the outside of the chamber - but that only proves that your mix was successfull. If we would want a robust station we could simply r-wall all of science and that would be kinda boring.

I love me science floor blowing up when trying a new mix and nearly killing myself ... only to have and fix it up minutes later.

If my exidental destruction would take place as far away from the station as possible...why should I take care of the destruction? I would just write it off and do something else,...

Fixing stuff on the station is fun. Just wanted to highlight that.
(06-14-2020, 03:21 PM)Tiggersaurus Wrote: More Borg chargers. Especially near security, maybe some in maintenance.

Yeah - bartender and chef is a big one.

Borgs can use their APC charger and draw energy from all those APCs around. I do not believe we need more large borg chargers.
We got one next to botany.
Two in robotics and one in mining.
(06-15-2020, 05:48 AM)GORE Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 03:21 PM)Tiggersaurus Wrote: More Borg chargers. Especially near security, maybe some in maintenance.

Borgs can use their APC charger and draw energy from all those APCs around. I do not believe we need more large borg chargers.

I think having one in every department is a good idea. Catering has one in Tool Storage, and Mining and Robotics have one built in. Engineering, Security, and Science all need a dock, preferably one that is easily accessible (so, not tucked in the back of Toxins gas storage or in the PTL room or in the Security router)
oshan does some really cool things with the color temps of its lights in different areas. it really bumps up the mood of a map, and would be good to bring over to cog 1
Oh another fix that should happen:

The Drone Factory doesn't technically have an APC or power (tested by moving an AI to the drone factory but it wasn't powered). Maybe this could change with some new solars added to the factory? Minor change but would be nice
QM's tiny work space is a bit annoying to me. Personally I'd prefer that the QM office and warehouse were conjoined.
(06-15-2020, 05:56 AM)aft2001 Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 05:48 AM)GORE Wrote:

I think having one in every department is a good idea. Catering has one in Tool Storage, and Mining and Robotics have one built in. Engineering, Security, and Science all need a dock, preferably one that is easily accessible (so, not tucked in the back of Toxins gas storage or in the PTL room or in the Security router)

Indeed. And Gore I was more considering the repair function than charging though I try not to drain APCS (it's more efficient to charge APCS then jump in a charger after). The number of times blob has been near security and then I've needed to head far to repair (obv not limbs) is frustrating. Not to mention if you have 2-3 borgs helping.

Oshan and Kondaru are examples of good charger placements I think.
Wouldn't placing a borg-charger in every department severly limit the functionality of the borg repair-kit?