Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Random Event: Drone Assault Platform/New Drone Ideas
Another idea I had pitched in an old Discord conversation and forgot to post. 

I had an idea a few months back where a Drone Mothership/Assault Platform could spawn on the station Z-level in an unknown area and generate drones that aggro their way to the station (heat/energy/material gathering reasons?) The spawner would eventually go away after a timer went up, but destroying it earlier with pods or bombs would allow it to drop rare/common materials, pod parts, artifacts, blueprints, etc.

To make it a genuine threat, I would like to propose allowing Buzzsaw Drones to be able to destroy station related blocks/tiles depending on their durability so that they could chew through the station's hull in order to get to their objective and let other drones inside.

The platform could spawn after a warning minutes prior to give players time to prepare. This could be a good way to encourage the pod builders among us to shine without frustrating every other player on the station. It feels like the only point to making pods right now is to use it as an antag (which is frustrating) or to fight one. You could fight drones in the asteroid field for slim pickings or do it just for fun, but eh.

It's also good for people that like to build/repair things or want to use matsci to create defenses against an incoming invasion, both of which could always use some love.
Honestly this seems better fit for an antag than an event.
Playing as drones?
(06-09-2020, 07:26 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote: Honestly this seems better fit for an antag than an event.

An antag event perhaps - but still - NPC drones should remain as part of it.

I really dig the idea to involve more pod stuff around the station. Makes the station z-level feel more lively. Because everyone knows it is barren as hell. Literally. Hell is pretty barren - and although there is some neat stuff on the station z-level for some maps...most of the time it is just boring.
(06-09-2020, 09:04 PM)GORE Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 07:26 PM)DJ-Fireball_did_this Wrote: Honestly this seems better fit for an antag than an event.

An antag event perhaps - but still - NPC drones should remain as part of it.

I really dig the idea to involve more pod stuff around the station. Makes the station z-level feel more lively. Because everyone knows it is barren as hell. Literally. Hell is pretty barren - and although there is some neat stuff on the station z-level for some maps...most of the time it is just boring.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Like the antag is some guy with an amount of control over the drones.
I think that minor antagonists (like wraiths) are a great addition to any round. On their own, they'd be destroyed with enough focus. But, they add so much more chaos if they can't be handled when the crew is focused on another antag (like lings or traitors).

Could definitely be a very interesting role to play - using Scrap to make more drones, and obtaining Scrap both passively (think just scrapping nearby debris fields), but also actively as you grind parts of the station down to make more drones. Investing in combat-focused drones to handle people trying to break apart your shit. And, eventually, getting enough scrap and possibly some kind of rarer resource (kinda like blob EVO points) to be able to make FAR more interesting drones, possibly Y-Drones and maybe Z-Drones.
I'll try demo-ing this in game soon with the Critter Creator thingy.
Got a sprite started for the platform.