Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for help on the wiki
Howdy all, as some might have seen or heard, I've been working on overhauling the food and drinks page on the wiki. I find the current page to be messy and unkept plus a bit hard to read and the couple instances of duplicate recipes around the place. 

However, I'm starting to realise how big of a task it is. I've set up a basic template of what the recipes should look like, however alot of the work involves replacing every the placeholder text in the template with the items information. The work is easy but tedious, so if anyone has been itching to contribute to the wiki but felt overwhelmed or have no idea where to start then you're more than welcome to give it a hand in this project. Even if you don't want to do any large scale changes, then even just adding in the description or flavourtext is useful. Every little bit helps

Here's the link to page I'm working on: https://wiki.ss13.co/User:Carbadox/FoodOverhaul
The link to the current food and drinks page for reference https://wiki.ss13.co/Foods_and_Drinks#Main_course
and the pastebin link of the list of categories Im looking to implement https://pastebin.com/f376pTfq (not really finally and probably not complete, knowing me)

If you've got any questions then feel free to hit me up in discord, don't even have to DM me, you can even @ me in the #imwiki channel.
Thanks for reading
I can assist, and appreciate you cleaning up this page in tabular form.

I have rice mostly done: https://wiki.ss13.co/User:Sundance 
Is this up to scratch? If so I shall continue.

I have a few suggestions, mostly minor nitpicks.

1. Rearranging this:

This is it currently, as per your format.

[Image: YgSEu1V.png]
However I'd feel it'd look better like this

[Image: LFksReE.png]

A very minor change from from ===Rice=== [[File:StickyRice.png]] -->  ===[[File:StickyRice.png]] Rice===

I just feel the picture directly below the title feels a little out of place being so small and feel creates minor bloat. 

This is extremely minor nitpick, so feel free to ignore!

Are we using in-hand as means of directions?

Example as it is currently:
[Image: 6jLip3G.png]

Should it instead look like this?

[Image: yFwN65C.png]

And finally, this would be an excellent time to include the food buffs system without it bloating the page further. This is less of a suggestion, as i'd be willing to do this myself. I feel REALLY strongly that we need to at least document the food buff system so players can keep track of what does which, that way people will be inclined to eat and annoying fucks such as myself can suggest better ways to improve it.

I understand that Studenterhue has a list of what does what on a google doc somewhere? And I'd say the food bioeffect sprites are already in the code so I could just dive for them?

Here's an example of how i'd implement it:

[Image: dPsMvcs.png]
Removed the intents for Time and Temp and included the buff to the direct right of it. 

The buff can then direct to a seperate table on the page, similarly to how clicking an ingredient works. Because of the fact you have reduced the bloat of the page, it could fit another small food buffs table.

Anyway, that's just a future idea, nothing really to drive home about currently. It can be done at a later date.
1. Something I'm totally all for, I see no issue and you're right that there's some minor bloat with my original rendition.
2. Also great, having the hand there makes it quick and easy to recognise what sort of recipe it is so that one can easily just take a glance at the tab and see what the requirements are
3. Listing the buffs for food is also a good idea, good use of the left over space on the right in the tab and all, though I'm not to sure about removing intent for the time and temp. I think it makes that part a tad too long.
I have rice complete. You might cast your eye over this when you get the chance. I've taken a few "liberties" in trying to fit it into this format, example is Nigiri where I've combined the two into one tab, with the alternative cooking method included. However for Sushi, I've kept the two methods separate as it's not simply just an alternative method and custom specifics are important.

Moving on to pies! EDIT: Pies are complete!

https://wiki.ss13.co/User:Sundance

1. Great

2. Great

3. Great and agreed, I also feel it makes it too long. I'll play around with it a bit more. I've also sourced the symbols for the food buffs: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...system.dmi
Also here's the food buff thing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
And Studenterhue's food buff rework: https://wiki.ss13.co/User:Studenterhue/Foodbuffs
Slight problem with the information: although I have what food gives what buff, and descriptions of what each buff does and have located the symbols, i'm not sure what symbol applies to which buff. Like Energized is obvious, but cleansed and others are not. I'll have to experiment in game to see which sprite is attributed to which!

4: EDIT: Pies are complete, however I'm wondering about the placement of "Moon pies" in the pie category. They're pie by name only, but in reality they're technically cookies? They require no spoon to eat and they're made up of two cookies? (Not to be confused with Ass Pie / Fart Pie / etc). Check out my page and you'll see what I mean.

Also lmao, I just realized how extremely wasteful moon pies are. No wonder they're never made.
I'm with Carbadox here; I'm not too keen on putting the Temp and Time info to the right of the "Time and Temp" title rather than below, for the same reason he listed. Personally, I like the general format of image-buff-buff image, though I'd personally put in its own section in each tab, like with Temp and Time, near the top.

One thing I really want to note is that the current Food and Drinks page has the images function like links. For the apple pie recipe for example, you can click on the sweet dough image to learn how to make sweet dough and the apple image to learn where to find apples. To me, it's really important this be preserved in some way, otherwise I'd feel like it'd be a downgrade from the current one. This can be simple as just adding links to the ingredients section of each recipe.

Speaking of ingredients, I'm not feeling too keen about the current setup of the ingredients section being tables of ingredients within different tabs. I've heard the plan is to link to the tab with the relevant table with the relevant entry, but this feels like a downgrade to directly linking to the relevant entry, even if the tables are relatively small now.

Speaking of links, I'd also advise to be careful with naming the tabs. A couple pages link to specific parts of the Foods and Drinks page, primarily from the Chemicals page, so under this new system, it'd be linking to a specific tab.

Thing about food buff images: a lotttttt of them share. There's about like 3 images or so shared about at least ten buffs. Funny thing, I was kinda holding off adding food buffs to the wiki for a while because I was waiting for someone to make better and more sprites for them. (Now I'm just busy with lots of other things.)
Quote:I'm with Carbadox here; I'm not too keen on putting the Temp and Time info to the right of the "Time and Temp" title rather than below...
Yeah I've gone back on that - it's too meaty for one line.

Quote:..One thing I really want to note is that the current Food and Drinks page has the images function like links... 

I've done some testing on this, and imported my table to the main page, just to preview it.

So for example with Rice, I've formatted it as [[Image:Ingrice.png]] when it should be [[Image:Ingrice.png|link=#Rice]]

Testing it, this works in the tabular form, links directly to the Rice (and how to avail of it) on the same Food & Drinks page. So this functionality can be added, while retaining the tabs!

Quote:Speaking of ingredients, I'm not feeling too keen about the current setup of the ingredients section being tables of ingredients within different tabs. I've heard the plan is to link to the tab with the relevant table with the relevant entry, but this feels like a downgrade to directly linking to the relevant entry, even if the tables are relatively small now.

Speaking of links, I'd also advise to be careful with naming the tabs. A couple pages link to specific parts of the Foods and Drinks page, primarily from the Chemicals page, so under this new system, it'd be linking to a specific tab.

I'll pass the mic to Carbadox there. I'd share the same concerns, I wouldn't want any broken links.

Quote:..Thing about food buff images: a lotttttt of them share. There's about like 3 images or so shared about at least ten buffs. Funny thing, I was kinda holding off adding food buffs to the wiki for a while because I was waiting for someone to make better and more sprites for them. (Now I'm just busy with lots of other things.)..

Well guess we can hit two birds with one stone here. I'd be happy to doodle a few small sprites for food buffs, if it means we can finally properly document it. DM me on what needs to be done. I understand that this is the current list?
https://wiki.ss13.co/User:Studenterhue/F...Food_Buffs
That is list is missing Bad Breath, which makes people nearby vomit sometimes, but otherwise that's the whole list. I should probably flesh it out and update it; I was also thinking of just going ahead of putting it on the Foods and Drinks page, without having to wait for each foods' buffs to be documented.

I wasn't letting lack of sprites /completely/ stop food buff documentation, for I'd still be willing to do them without new sprites, but I'm absolutely and completely for new food buff sprites, especially if they're from someone who's made a lot of good ability icons. You have my approval!

Now that Goon's open source, it'd also be a good time to double-check stuff on the checklist, particularly since it lacks said bad breath buff, if we're looking to roll in food buff documentation with this overhaul (of course, both can be done separately).

I also agree that moon pies should probably be lumped in with cookies rather than pies (my foodbuffs page does the same). On top of the difference in eating utensils (or lack thereof), moon pies are made with sweet dough made into cookie dough rather than straight sweet dough, provide different food buffs than pies, and can be decorated with frosting, like cookies but unlike pies.
I've merged your section into the page, Sundance. Feel free to work directly there if you want or add completed sections whenever you feel like if that helps.

In regards to links, I'd like to complete the main meat of the page before working on finer details. The main idea of the page is to provide the same information as the current page but in a more compact fashion. I think that by doing so, having clickable ingrident links might not even be neccesary. Though I can't really say that all that certainly until the work is done so /shrug