Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scoviles - A measurement of Food Spiciness
Greetings,

Proposal:
I would like to propose the introduction of a new status effect / variable to peppers and food derived with peppers as an ingredient.

Scoville units are a measurement of the percieved heat, or spiciness, of a food.

Gameplay Mechanics:
I would propose that these scoville units can be bred via selective breeding in botany, and range in physiological effects from minor health regen/perspiration/increased heart rate to convulsions/screaming/debilitation at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

The hottest peppers in the world, after all, are not technically edible. At that intensity, they're more of a poison than a medicine.

Treatment:
* The condition could be eased, but not removed, by consuming milk. 
* As it decreases, it would yeild the positive health effects of lower scovile tiers. 
* Vomiting would worsen the condition. 
* Defication after large consumption would result in screams, but not pose physical harm.

Conclusion:
This could add a fun new spin for botany and chef classes, as well as an interesting player status effect, similar to drinking but with new potential interactions and consumption methods.

I've just been informed that defecation isn't a feature anymore, but that hardly changes much.
Without introducing a whole new system - why not expand on chemistry by adding this as a chem with several dosage stages?
Most of the chems seem to only have a non-overdose and overdose-stage ... there could be some in-between to flesh out the different positive and negative effects?
I agree, I'd want to piggyback on existing systems. Similar to how chemistry doesn't make welding fuel, they derive it from tanks as an ingredient.

Prior, to simulate hot peppers, the best one could hope for were peppers laced with bathsalts. Not quite as immersive, and far more harmful / brig worthy an offense.
(06-04-2020, 12:48 PM)GORE Wrote: Without introducing a whole new system - why not expand on chemistry by adding this as a chem with several dosage stages?
Most of the chems seem to only have a non-overdose and overdose-stage ... there could be some in-between to flesh out the different positive and negative effects?
Could always give capsaicin(which all our spicy stuff already contains) have dosage specific effects to emulate this.
I'm not terribly well versed in status effects, but capsacin has been shown to increase blood flow, ease pain, and release endorphins. It's not a miracle drug, but it can open your sinuses and, in my case, stave off migranes.

There is definitely a positive experience to eating hot/spicy food though, beyond the burning. Perhaps it can increase the healing effect of foods to a max cap before any additional ammount yeilds diminishing returns / negative (and increasing) status ailments?
Additional thought: Food is considered to have like 5 'flavors'. What is how healing/buffing/good the food is depends upon the amount (and perhaps balance!) of these?