Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Scheduled shuttle calls [Small Feature]
In short:

A new option in the COMMaster program, and possibly AI Commands, that allows you to schedule a shuttle call. All you have to do is simply input the shift time you'd like it to arrive by and it will notify everyone that a shuttle has been scheduled and what time it will arrive, unless canceled. 6 minutes before the shuttle is scheduled to arrive, it will call the shuttle automatically and start the usual timer.

So, if you wanted the shuttle to arrive an hour into the round and didn't want to risk not being able to call it, simply input '60' into the console after using the 'Schedule' command.

The purpose of this is mostly to both make sure you won't be unable to call it later, and also to give the crew fair warning as to when the shift is probably gonna end. Yes, it isn't a glamorous effect, but it also is a very simple premise and function.

Do y'all think this would be nice to have, even if just situationally?
It might not have many uses, but it does seem like something NT would logically build.
Hm, I can see it from a functionality standpoint, but from a lore standpoint I think the emergency shuttle i supposed to come as quickly as it can, since it's a shuttle called to evacuate because it's an emergency.

Of course, who cares about the lore, if it's a good addition, we should add it!
(06-02-2020, 06:26 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Hm, I can see it from a functionality standpoint, but from a lore standpoint I think the emergency shuttle i supposed to come as quickly as it can, since it's a shuttle called to evacuate because it's an emergency.

Of course, who cares about the lore, if it's a good addition, we should add it!

Presumebly the idea is "if you don't hear from me in X minutes, assume I'm unable to respond and call the shuttle". Also, during this the shuttle can probably be called at any point.
I feel like this will further entrench people into the idea of rounds having some random prescribed length; a lot of people feel strongly that rounds are "one hour long" or "45 minutes then call shuttle" or some other random number. I've always felt that was off base.

A feature like this will see these people setting it for 60 minutes at round start and then people will likely just forget that the timer is active. People often don't realize the escape shuttle has been called until it arrives, they miss things like map votes all the time, whatever. I don't really like the idea of prescribing a set end to the round a propos of nothing
FOr me not in recent times - but I remember some fun rounds - which evolved into pure chaos.
Rushing to the bridge to call the shuttle at a moments notice is a small adventure by itself. One might even ask another passerby to support one through the remaining parts of the station and survive until you both reach the bridge.
Please do not scrap this by adding an auto-call for the workers of the station - which can be set by them.
I think it's a neat idea but it would only be called upon for abuse or people enforcing their own rules as for how to play the game.
As long as there is an option for a stealth antag cancel of the COMMaster schedule command. And maybe some shenanigans like an AI lockout override. All things must have balance smile
Oh dear lord an AI lockout sounds fuckin awful lmao.

However, that does give me an idea: Allow the toggling of whether or not the AI is able to *RECALL* the shuttle. After a lil thought this is actually pretty damn balanced - Wanna call the shuttle but the AI keeps recalling? Just disable their ability to recall. By default, they should not be able to recall the shuttle.
You can already have a scheduled timer with a program I believe
I did see someone on a really slow RP round set up some systems where saying "Call Shuttle" or "Recall Shuttle" would...well, call or recall the shuttle. A timer made by mechanics to call the shuttle wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I agree with most of what was said though. A timer means people are put on a time limit they may or may not agree with, and while I understand trying to restart every hour, sometimes something really fun is going on and I don't think anyone wants to stop everything they're doing just to go to the bridge and cancel something set a half hour ago, possibly by someone else.
(06-06-2020, 07:14 PM)Technature Wrote: I did see someone on a really slow RP round set up some systems where saying "Call Shuttle" or "Recall Shuttle" would...well, call or recall the shuttle. A timer made by mechanics to call the shuttle wouldn't be much of a stretch.

I agree with most of what was said though. A timer means people are put on a time limit they may or may not agree with, and while I understand trying to restart every hour, sometimes something really fun is going on and I don't think anyone wants to stop everything they're doing just to go to the bridge and cancel something set a half hour ago, possibly by someone else.

Ahh, yeah, the good old call/recall shuttle buttons. I love to build them, especially on slow RP rounds.
It's a bit debatable if that's good RP: I'm a mechanic - so actually no access to commaster - but it's some skill show off, which might be useful (I had rounds where we could not recall the shuttle because the captain had to be away for a few minutes...)

I built a lot of systems with mechcomp - one even allowed to send a PDA message to call and recall the shuttle.
Next thing: Use radio chat to do that.

PS.: I don't like the idea that OP has. For reasons see Emilys post - and making mechcomp less relevant.
While this thread pretty clearly explains that the original idea is bust, for a good reason, it has given me a new idea that I'd like your guys' opinions on before making a new thread:

Toggling whether or not the AI can recall the shuttle from the COMMaster program. The AI can't really abuse this since, if you wanna call the shuttle and the AI is being a cunt, just restrict them from recalling.
(06-07-2020, 07:08 AM)aft2001 Wrote: While this thread pretty clearly explains that the original idea is bust, for a good reason, it has given me a new idea that I'd like your guys' opinions on before making a new thread:

Toggling whether or not the AI can recall the shuttle from the COMMaster program. The AI can't really abuse this since, if you wanna call the shuttle and the AI is being a cunt, just restrict them from recalling.

I think, in general, the AI could use more privileges that crew can toggle on or off, preferably with the toggles in decentralized areas