Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ideas to expedite breach repairs.
Repairing breaches due to bombs, meteors, and such can be very rewarding but also very time consuming, sometimes it'll take longer to adequately repair a moderately sized breach than it does to just call the shuttle and leave. Usually the optimal way to seal a breach is to make a ton of floor tiles and just clicking like mad while running over the exposed area. After that it's just a waiting game of opening air canisters and turning on space heaters. And depending on the size of the breach or how much of the air was lost to space, it can take a very long time. I have a couple ideas to make it a bit quicker and less tedious to fix breaches:

- Metal foam grenades, or rather the metal foam itself should stop gasses from passing as soon as the foam spreads, not after it sets and becomes a wall/floor. This way you can use the metal foam grenades to quickly seal a breach without it venting all the atmosphere if you're quick/lucky enough.

- Let tiles instantly create floor when used on metal foam floors like how it does now from space. The metal foam floors are meant to be temporary. They can be destroyed by hitting it with any item really. But to properly replace them, you need to destroy them, thus opening up the area to space for a fraction of a second. But that still removes more atmosphere which is already a low supply.

- Floorbots should be able to target metal foam floors for replacement with steel tiles.

- Give engineering an RCD-like item in engineer lockers. A power cell/metal sheets/non-uquil based RCD that either can't deconstruct or deconstructs very slowly and loudly. It can construct steel tiles very quickly, and normal things like walls or windows. Only works on turfs that are already part of the station, so it can't really be used for new construction.
All in all, good ideas

How laggy would it be to make an "Canned Air" grenade that would release alot of high pressure pure 02 in 5x5 area? I think that could help elavate the tedious nature of repressurisation.

Additionally, floorbots need to be supplied with floor tiles for them to actually repair and replace floortiles and on top of that it's at a limit of 50. I think both of those things should be removed as I only see it as something that restricts the effectiveness of the bot.
A special mode or version of the RCD that instantly restores walls, floors, and doors to their original state would be amazing. You cannot use it to instantly build R-Walls or locked doors wherever, only where those items originally were. Would consume far less ammo. First click restores floor (including tile paint), second click restores walls/doors, third click restores reinforcement/access (including door name and color).

Should come with some kind of overlay displaying what'll be built where.
I like the idea of an air grenade to accelerate the process of diffusing a shitload of air by just spreading it out from the start. Plus you might be able to emag it to some kind of blow grenade, overriding the pressure limit to cause more station damage and launch people out the breach.
(06-01-2020, 01:40 AM)Carbadox Wrote: All in all, good ideas

How laggy would it be to make an "Canned Air" grenade that would release alot of high pressure pure 02 in 5x5 area? I think that could help elavate the tedious nature of repressurisation.

Oh yeah this is good. I had the exact same idea actually, I just forgot to write it down in the post.
Some of the arts give off a message of hot/cold air coming out, but it only changes the temperature to an uncomfortable extreme. What if they actually generated air and balanced the temperature sometimes? Maybe we could somehow toggle the temperature/air by applying various stimuli.
Fixing the station is the easy part, even a large hole takes me max 3 mins to patch up, repressurizing is the tedious and annoying part.

Improvements to metal foam nades and floorbots are a good idea, but this won't help with depressurization even if you are right there with the foam nade in hand and toss it right after a breach, it'll still depressurize most if not all of the area. Like I've seen a small explosion that blew 1 tile breach in the floor depressurize the entire central hallway before I could patch it up with a floor tile I pried off from right next to it right after it got breached. This doesn't always happen and I think it's a glitch that sometimes happens with atmos, but it happens frequently enough to make changes to the speed of repair kinda pointless.

How I'd fix it? No idea other than trying to fix atmos somehow. Though both are good ideas I'd like to see regardless of this, it'll still help with the fixing part.

On the fixing side, there's the things like not noticing the window with no floor under it(still happens quite often even though it's been attempted to fix before), not noticing a hole under a table and having breaches behind unremovable things or things that require a lot of effort to move like vending machines or consoles. Add to this the usual darkness that follows the blowing of lights and it's usually the norm when people start refilling an area that there's still a breach hiding somewhere. Oh and glass windows when you place them on grilles by clicking on them, they'll still act like directional windows even though the sprite is the new large window, you still have to be diagonal when clicking to place a large window.

There's no easy way to fix this other than by people learning to spot the missing breaches, even I still miss them sometimes, but one thing I'd say is that the directional flashlights definitely didn't help in this regard. It was easy enough to miss a wall breach in the darkness behind a broken vending machine before, now you have to actively hunt for them. I do still like the change to flashlights, but something else is needed for repairing blown up parts of the station. Perhaps more general access mesons or a new draggable worklight located with heaters and air canisters that'll illuminate a very large area with a power cell powering it. Maybe even a new type of smoke nade or some tool that produces smoke that would move towards a breach to check for leaks before you start repressurizing.

Also, remove the ability to make directional windows with the click-on-grille placement style, it's virtually impossible to find this cause if somebody has made a directional window somewhere while placing them and most probably don't even know that it'll still do this. The only way to spot the directional window is to right-click on the window and seeing the directional window sprite in the drop-down menu.

On the canned air, it's a great idea to help fix the tedium, but for a large area like the central hallway it'd still require a lot of nades because air just doesn't seem to move enough. I think in addition to this I'd recommend making all the normal white air canisters into the high cap ones and having some sort of tool or maybe just changing how dragging works with the canisters so that you don't have to constantly stop to grab the canister again since the air will quite often push the canister away and break the pull. Or better yet, have the air move around faster so that you didn't have to drag the canisters around for minutes, but I understand the pain of atmos related things. Some fixes to the air hookups could be good too, maybe more air in the reserve tank. Really though for the air hookups to really be of use the pipes need to still be intact and most likely if there's an explosion, they aren't.