Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anti-apathy R&D system
This idea comes from the attempt to solve two problems.

1. Adventure zone items are only useful for validhunting or griefing if you're not an antag (and if you are one you won't be doing telesci)
2. Goon players are apathetic towards killing antagonists, leading to boring friendly antags and aggravating lack of teamwork against very unfriendly ones.

Solution: give the scattered science departments a core interest in the R&D system.
I know what you're thinking: "but /tg/'s R&D is basically cookie clicker!". That is true, but my idea uses no research points.
I've always found it quite interesting how on /tg/ you can feed traitor items to a destructive analyzer to unlock illegal tech. I'm sure you can see where this is going:

What if traitor items and rare debris/adventure gear could be exchanged for fun, harmless, and interesting versions of it? For example:

A changeling skull gives you an infinite amount of stable mutagen stings and cosmetic skin changes
A csaber becomes a full set of laser tag gear
A katana unlocks advanced folding technology that can build omnitools for everyone
A chunk of blob unlocks technology for a portable field cloner
A trophy belt from the Predator unlocks an item that turns heads, skulls and corpses into sentient skullbots that can later be cloned or borged (or just be all around spoopy)
etc. etc.

Antagonist gear that cannot be researched (like iunno fake mustaches) scores a ton of job XP for security if it's in their locker at the end of the round.

EDIT: A bulletin board would tell you what can be exchanged, so implementation could start small with one or two items and then be expanded upon.
+1 to this. I've long wanted to legit RP researching dangerous specimens/samples. All attempts to do so in the past merely caused people to think I was a co-conspirator. Having actual gameplay effects might just help this stuff along.
What's gonna stop the friendly antags from just handing this shit out? Also, mechanical R&D always struck me as more an engineering thing, I really don't want random aspects of engineering to be done by the research wing more than it already is. Although even if it doesn't help antag apathy actual science to do would be cool.
Honestly I'd rather not have another reason for security to beat me up for having super hairgrownium sprayed on me.