Poll: Would you like to see this happen?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yay
47.37%
9 47.37%
Nay
52.63%
10 52.63%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Le' Mental Ward In Medbay. Make It Happen.
Ok, hear me out- sometimes there are just people who are crazy. That's why we got anti-psycho and straightjackets, but where do you put em?!?  A  hospital bed?! THat isn't a fuckin' ward! Brig? That's for prisoners! So why not add a wing for the treatment and containment of people who are a little unright in  the head? With this, maybe add a special type of guard/medical that wardens the ward, and basically they get tranq and have a trait that makes their grabs and disarms better- basically nonlethal neutralization for ward patients. Also maybe add a permanent therapist jobslot with it. Lmk what y'all think. smilie with a protruding tongue

EDIT:
To clear things up, I do NOT mean sensitive issues like depression or suicidal thoughts- I'm talking about like, madness. Greytiders worshipping coffee machines (AHEM SYNDI MAN >_>) and generally being insane. I mean it lightheartedly and I to don't want it to handle fake cases of depression, because that would be insensitive and crude.
Therapist could be good for at least the RP server, though that can also be accomplished with a job-title change in-round.
The medical warden just sounds like a non-Sec officer placed in the medical wing, so I'm not too jazzed about it. Like a dedicated officer being stationed in medical isn't a bad idea, just make it fall under the security department.
I can very well imagine a rampaging staffie being hold in there and talked to until the issue is resolved. Sounds fun.
(05-28-2020, 02:14 PM)GORE Wrote: I can very well imagine a rampaging staffie being hold in there and talked to until the issue is resolved. Sounds fun.

Yeah lmao, Going into a mental ward would make it waaay less appealing to be insane. Talking to a shrink and being straightjacketed, being drugged up on Halpiderol..
While it'd be rarely used, it'd be a neat addition to have to medbays if they're able to support a new room or two.
Heart 
(05-28-2020, 06:06 PM)aft2001 Wrote: While it'd be rarely used, it'd be a neat addition to have to medbays if they're able to support a new room or two.

Very cool  aft very cool.

Maybe part of patho could be sectioned off... it's nto used anyway
Oshan already has these above the pharmacy, no? And I believe cog2 has some rooms like that as well?
To be honest, I have never seen them used, I feel like that would be an area of medbay that would pretty much never see use, so I am not sure if it is worth giving up space for on a map. Though the rooms can be made very small, with just a bed and a table for straightjackets/antipsychotics, I suppose.
(05-28-2020, 08:17 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Oshan already has these above the pharmacy, no? And I believe cog2 has some rooms like that as well?
To be honest, I have never seen them used, I feel like that would be an area of medbay that would pretty much never see use, so I am not sure if it is worth giving up space for on a map. Though the rooms can be made very small, with just a bed and a table for straightjackets/antipsychotics, I suppose.

yeah, a fuckin small bed in an open floor plan? nah!
Clarion also has some, in med's northwest, as well. Its even where the straitjackets are to be found, in fact, so the rooms were clearly meant to be a psych ward.

Sadly I have never seen them used as such. I can count the number of times I've seen them used even as regular patient rooms on one hand.

I actually tried once, a long time ago, to tranq+straitjacket a misbehaving greytider, and that was when I discovered that the tranq rifle was honestly quite garbage at actually tranquilizing people. I understand its been buffed recently, so maybe thats not an issue anymore.

On that note, perhaps in the spirit of using these rooms as either patient rooms or psych-ward rooms, make it so they are by default unlocked, but have a control panel on the outer side that lets the people in charge lock it, similar to the one in the brig. Just spitballing ideas here.
Not a fan playing with mental issues tbh. Big no from me.
(05-29-2020, 01:23 AM)Erev Wrote: Not a fan playing with mental issues tbh. Big no from me.

I'm not the only one then.
(05-29-2020, 01:45 AM)Tiggersaurus Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 01:23 AM)Erev Wrote: Not a fan playing with mental issues tbh. Big no from me.

Would be in this territory too but I do like some slapstick mental issues where it's dialed up to nonsense levels - this is handled well in some of our things like rajajah and space madness. Basically space heebie-jeebies 

Anything else kind of becomes lame (depression? if you want to RP it, go ahead), or kind of pointless? Like a room dedicated to something that nobody will use? I'm looking at this from a practical point of view.. this will create bloat on maps. It needs to serve purpose and if there's no purpose or the purpose is minimal, then I find it difficult to see why?
(05-29-2020, 06:17 AM)Sundance Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 01:45 AM)Tiggersaurus Wrote:

Would be in this territory too but I do like some slapstick mental issues where it's dialed up to nonsense levels - this is handled well in some of our things like rajajah and space madness. Basically space heebie-jeebies 

Anything else kind of becomes lame (depression? if you want to RP it, go ahead), or kind of pointless? Like a room dedicated to something that nobody will use? I'm looking at this from a practical point of view.. this will create bloat on maps. It needs to serve purpose and if there's no purpose or the purpose is minimal, then I find it difficult to see why?
Exactly, I'm not talking about real mental illnesses- not only would that be dumb and pointless, it would be insensitive. I'm talking about what he's saying, yeah. Just slapstick madness, like someone tabling people and writing CHEESY FINGERS on the walls and shit.
There are some lovecraftian things out there in space...or so it seems,...

Whatever lovecraftian horrors the admins sometimes appear beneath the floor as.

Text in your chatbox switching around after a while...or mixing up players faces - that kinda stuff.
Perhaps one can get rid of such illnesses by doing art therapy or something like that with a doctor in a special room. Interaction with small little gimmicks for a minute or two in a creative and not necessarily pathwayed form - that could be sweet.

Perhaps a doctor could detect the illness and then gets the information what the patient might ahve and what would help against it.

Of course this should only be diagnosable for other people and not by yourself.
There is always a chance that the found cure is wrong.
Doctors trait increases the chance that the doctors are right.

Tasks to get rid of the illness could include:
-Using a medical-crayon at least 10 times.
-Writing a letter and sending it via mail to [department] .
-Create a wrapped gift and *GIVE COMMAND* it to another player.

So just giving a slight incentive for gimmick player to player interaction.

The chance for mental illness should be quite low - so that these occurances are pretty rare.
As rare as the traitors per round? Perhaps around as many people as those who are traitors within a round should also roll for mental illness.

Nothing too seriously game-changing but slight and rare fun stuff.

Imagining people as just cockroaches or squids or even worse...CAT PEOPLE?!

A diagnosis can only be done once per one person doing the diagnosing.

Anti-Psychotic drugs just surpress the mental illness effects; rather than cure it.

So things to treat it directly.

Perhaps chemistry would also cook more of those up.

Mental illness could be regarded as a more semi-permanent or at least prolonged temporary thing.

We got chems - to be really temporary.
We had pathogens and normal illnesses as something which was either sticking quite well or being cured permanently.

Why not add mental illnesses (perhaps even a chance to be applied after brain injury or psychosis inducing drugs) - as a thing to be surpressed like Pathogens or cured by gimmick stuff.
Use it as a room to hold people in til they realize their UWU speak isn't healthy.

"Pwease stowp shocking me officew."

"THEN SPEAK! NORMAL! YOU FUCKING! WEIRDO!"

Since Pathology isn't used right now, it seems like a good place for a mental ward wanna-be clown hole in the mean time.