Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ChemComp: TIS-100 Style Chemical Manufacturing
Here's the elevator pitch: Place a vend' near the Test Chamber and stock it with Chemistry Components. Each component will have limited chemistry functionality and throughput, and most can only output to one other component. Beakers will be generated for free. Beaker passing between components will be "blocking" like it is in Zachtronic's TIS-100 game (OR the XBus system in Shenzhen IO) — that is to say: devices will pause when passing or expecting a beaker until the transaction is satisfied. Component setting would mimic MechComp: wrench to secure, click with a multi-tool in hand to set parameters and link.

Components:
Chemical Component: Spawns a beaker and fills it with a set a mount of a single chemical (same selection as a ChemDispenser)
Welding Fuel Component: Insert a container(ambiguous) of welding fuel, acts like the Chemical Component.
Mix Component: Expects a beaker from every linked device, mixes them together, and outputs the result.
Trash Component: "Dumps" a set amount from a beaker, then passes it on.
Heat/Cool Component: Heats or cools.
Distribution Component: Can be set to output to many comp's, will pass a beaker to the first comp' then to the second, then the third, etc. Allows for parallel processing (like heating).
Splitter Component: Simply divides a beaker by a set ratio and passes it to two components.
Isolation Component: Isolates a set reagent, trashing all other reagents, similar to the ChemDispenser function.
Separation Component: Allows the non-destructive isolation of reagents, similar to the "#" ChemiCompiler command. (This would need to output to multiple components)
Packaging Component: Mimics the functionality of the CheMaster.
ChemiCompiler Component (CCC): It's the CC, but it won't start until it's three(? or setable?) reservoirs are filled.

Originally my idea was to only have the Chemical Component and 2-reservoir CC components, but that'd probably be too unapproachable for most players.
this seems cool, and i think it would work really well without beakers if it used the chempipes system! (thats unfinished though? im not sure) but i think chemical pipes would be a less "jank" solution than spawning beakers for each one
The mentioned beakers wouldn't exist as an item until the Packaging Component. I just mentioned them as a "picture it in your minds eye". Components would still be limited to 100u "packages" being sent between each other.

Additionally: I feel like trying to use engine style pipes would be restrictive on the placement, orientation, and sprite requirement of machines. Having abstract tiny "machines" linked on the floor is a simpler implementation.
i guess i imagined them being like, actual machine looking things, and not more like mechcomp components
I'm no spriter, and I worry that there's limited space on station for the necessary # of components to both have a nice sprite, and have it be dense (can't walk over it).
Are fluid pipes in the public release? We (By which i mean, You with help hehe) should fix those up and hook them into this idea
Yeah, it would be cool to see something like this, and would help with mass produceing chemicals that have a bit of a process to make, It would also be cool to see something like a Tank maker compent, that would be given metal sheets, then produce a tank full of the chemicals it recives, once it recives a signal from someplace else To make said tank
Yes, and an extractor device that you can chuck produce into