Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The new movement speeds are too slow
As a veteran player of Goon, I feel that the new movement speeds supposedly test merged are so slow as to provide a detriment to play. Running feels like old walking and walking is super, duper slow. In addition, the borg movespeeds have remained the same, so we're all stuck in first gear while they run laps around us. I think that at an increase of one-half in current movement speed while in walk would go a long way to help alleviate the sluggish feel of movement as it stands now.
As someone who sprints around constantly, I'm really appreciating the change in the sprint mechanics. paradoxically, I feel more mobile than ever in the middle of fights.

hopefully we can find a compromise here, because overall I like the shift toward encouraging sprinting
@sartorius

My opinion stands opposite to that - I really dig that we can finally take a slower approach to the exploration on the station.
A side to that is also; that teleporters and pipe transportation are more valuable.
(05-27-2020, 02:29 PM)GORE Wrote: @sartorius

My opinion stands opposite to that - I really dig that we can finally take a slower approach to the exploration on the station.
A side to that is also; that teleporters and pipe transportation are more valuable.

So just have a walking speed like the current default? As for the value of teleportation and pipes and shit, I still used them heavily, even when characters were comically fast. That's another thing, comical super-human abilities are a key part of Goonstation.

I think it would be more effective, and fun, to just add benifits to walking (tie it to stamina?). Nothing debalitating, though. Just something that in many contexts makes walking better. Maybe something like needing more oxygen while running. Or chems spreading/depleating in a body faster if it's running.  The speed debuff is a cool idea and I respect what it's going for but it's just not fun to try and walk everywhere.

Maybe even add a combat reason to walk. It makes sense that you'd be knocked down easier while running, and less capable of good shots. That way the "fast" bits are still just running from place to place, but it slows down for combat. Not to mention, running already makes one have worse balence and fall more under certain circumstances.
I am particularly happy that the newest change makes stamina buff chems more useful - boy howdie - did I enjoy my Aranesp laced ciggarettes. Prior to the change I saw little use in stamina buff things except the stun reduction Meth gives by itself...but that was more stun related than really stamina and speed.

Slight buff chems have more use now. I dig that.
I've only played two rounds, but one of them was on Goon1 where a MediBorg and Staff Assistant played minigolf surgery to get cyber organs on me. (I was force fed many cyberkidneys.
I really appreciated the boosted stamina that a cyberheart and 3 other cyber organs afforded me. Gave a good contrast to walking versus sprinting versus sprinting with cyberorgans.
how slow is it rn? someone take a video

(05-27-2020, 03:39 PM)OMJ Wrote: how slow is it rn? someone take a video

just unbanned, it's too slow, but the mechanical adjustments w/sprinting are fascinating and the coolest thing to happen in combat since a long time. there can be a compromise here.
(05-27-2020, 02:56 PM)GORE Wrote: I am particularly happy that the newest change makes stamina buff chems more useful - boy howdie - did I enjoy my Aranesp laced ciggarettes. Prior to the change I saw little use in stamina buff things except the stun reduction Meth gives by itself...but that was more stun related than really stamina and speed.

Slight buff chems have more use now. I dig that.

See that's why I think the focus should be more on stamina and how it relates to speed, rather than speed itself. IE buffed stamina lets you run while something would normally reduce you to walking. Or maybe just under a certain amount of stamina you're just reduced to walking, and drugs add more to that, making it harder to get somebody down to walking mode.
i tried it out on a local server and it's not bad IMO. Maybe up it ever slightly but if this is what we get in addition to reduced slowdown in other things then Im fine with it
I honestly don't really see much of a difference. It's fine to me.
Movement feels good to me. Sprinting is a bit short but that's why you need stam buffs now....
There's been some refining on this, particularly with the current acceleration mechanic whereas moving in your current trajectory you move even faster.

MBC can you give the current numbers for how it is now?

I feel with the top speed, it's actually fine, no doubt more refining is needed.
(05-29-2020, 03:55 AM)Sundance Wrote: There's been some refining on this, particularly with the current acceleration mechanic whereas moving in your current trajectory you move even faster.

MBC can you give the current numbers for how it is now?

I feel with the top speed, it's actually fine, no doubt more refining is needed.

Nice. I was going to say, running in one direction long enough to gain speed would be a good addition, but it sounds like that's a thing now?

I think walking could use more buffs, maybe something along the line as the way shoving past people works with intents, with walking being more defensive and limiting  people's ability to move you
(05-29-2020, 03:55 AM)Sundance Wrote: MBC can you give the current numbers for how it is now? 

base speed 1.65

requirement for sustained run boost : running for a distance of 8 tiles without making any sharp turns (smooth diagonal turns are OK, and you have a grace period of 0.5 seconds of standing still before the counter resets to stop doors and other small bumps from ending your sustain boost)

during sustained run base speed changes to 1.5 (lower is faster)

there's also been those stagger changes recently : basically you can sprint while staggered but your sprint is less powerful in how it overcomes slowdowns while you do so.
Could we get like, special attacks that factor whether or not you were run boosting?

Sort of a manual bull rush?