Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
im coding teeth and want feedback
im coding a teeth system!

heres what i have planned:
its gonna be pretty small and not impact your average round much, youll probably be able to: 
  • add / remove teeth thru dentistry
  • lose teeth due to getting hit in the face with blunt weapons 
  • get cavities due to a bad diet
  • take teeth out of someone with "special" teeth like a werewolf and put them in yourself or someone else
  • have trouble eating if youre missing a lot of your teeth
  • make jewelry and other clothing adornments out of teeth (weirdo!!)
  • make cool replacement teeth with gold or silver, or robo teeth, or others! (traitor buying a tooth with a cyanide capsule, anyone?)
if anyones wondering what the level of tooth simulation is, well, im undecided! so im asking for ur input / feedback...
heres a poll! https://www.strawpoll.me/20184151
u can also reach out on the goon discord, @adhara#4566
thanks goons love u all
will you readd mouth target
Can't say that I really care either way shrug
Seems like mostly a flavor thing?
(05-27-2020, 10:10 AM)trerri Wrote: will you readd mouth target

no mouth target because that seems like a lot of work for a flavour system, pretty much
also that answers tarms question too
Yes I would like to have a collection of humanoids teeth thank you ??
(05-27-2020, 10:25 AM)Tiggersaurus Wrote: Yes I would like to have a collection of humanoids teeth thank you ??

arse nath should remove teeth as well as butts and limbs
Two inputs - one: can we make a teeth-necklace type of deal? As a mask not hiding the identity perhaps?

What about losing many teeth? Will that lead to a specific type of slurred speech?
I am unsure what common problems of speech are associated with losing many teeth.
Probably sounds like "s" will not be able to be formed very well.
(05-27-2020, 10:16 AM)Adhara In Space Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 10:10 AM)trerri Wrote: will you readd mouth target

no mouth target because that seems like a lot of work for a flavour system, pretty much
also that answers tarms question too

I feel like the best thing to do is roll random chances for blunt head damage to knock a tooth out, and the  special tools and scenarios that specifically affect teeth when targeting the head slot.

Similar to the barber tools and chair, which is exactly where dentist tools should be found at
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/3...nknown.png
poll results say simple teeth, but i still kinda want a dentist gimmick job! we will see, ill cut out the premolars from the code rn
Well - if the system would allow for teeth to be knocked out at all times - I reckon the ability to fix them at all times should also be available; perhaps add the tools to medbay too?
Give them a temporary accent while being operated on!
"So, how was your day going?"
"Aw Uoo, I ook hha harrage ou o hha roa"
"Mhm Mhm, now close your mouth for a moment..."
(05-27-2020, 12:58 PM)GORE Wrote: Two inputs - one: can we make a teeth-necklace type of deal? As a mask not hiding the identity perhaps?

What about losing many teeth? Will that lead to a specific type of slurred speech?
I am unsure what common problems of speech are associated with losing many teeth.
Probably sounds like "s" will not be able to be formed very well.

Think all the sounds you make that involve the tongue hitting the teeth and then try to make them without doing that.

Th, S, 

That sound that's south 
Becomes
Dhat thhound dhat thhouth

(05-27-2020, 10:12 AM)Tarmunora Wrote: Can't say that I really care either way shrug
Seems like mostly a flavor thing?

There's a few things you can do with it, like having dental records for forensics.

Mechnically, defanging a vamp could work like shaving a wizards beard.

But even without that I think it adds a flavor to fighting and it's consequences
Please code a Space Tooth Fairy
Space tooth fairy and dentist sound so fun and gimmicky oh my gosh.

I think teeth could be a cool thing as long as they're mostly for flavor and enhancement. It'd be good if they were a thing you could choose to care about and have fun with, but could also choose to ignore and not experience negative effects or altered gameplay mechanics with.

I think it'd be good to keep tooth simulation itself simple and straightforward. I don't think it's necessary to keep track of all 32 teeth and what kinds they are and what state they're all in and tell the player all of that. "All teeth", "some teeth", "no teeth", could work pretty decently. Or maybe people in space only have five teeth or something, I dunno. That way you could focus on the more "fun" stuff like dentistry or teeth jewelry. Additionally, keeping the teeth system relatively standalone would probably be good from a code perspective. Cavities from a bad diet sounds fun, but you'd have to figure out what a bad diet means, and then somehow score and track everyone's diets.
Plz let changelings fire teeth as projectiles. Or spawn teethlings

Losing enough teeth should alter your speech