Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Armory Access
Ahoy! Recently, I've found as HoS that with the new armory I'm unable to close it back up. It's an awesome addition that normal security/heads can access it, but it's a little rough that it can't be closed again. The only way for the HoS to access the armory is to open it via the computer (or hack the door), and when it's open once, it's open for the rest of the round. I'm posting this thread to see what other people think about the armory being able to be closed again after it's opened. Sometimes there might be an item I want to grab from there without leaving it open to the rest of security and other captain-level IDs (i.e breaching sledgehammer) and it kind of sucks that I need to hack into the armory as a HoS to get that item, unless I want it to be open forever.
the reasoning for it not being relockable was that I wanted it to be an Important Decision that raises the security level of the station for the rest of the round, with no takebacksies. but i'm willing to add relocking if majority opinion favors this

edit : also possible to just let the HoS open the doors anytime and remain unable to relock once the alert level is raised. not sure which solution i prefer though
I think a compromise would work. Have the HoS be able to enter and exit like before, without having to authorize. However, still have the authorization process in the case of like a blob or nukies and there's no security head.
Hi, i like the idea, but the way it was implemented really irks me. As already stated in the thread is the fact that the HoS can no longer access the armory on their own without fully activating the lockdown or hacking the doors, and not being able to re-lock the armory afterwards is a serious cripple to the station for a few reasons, I mean lockdowns aren't permanent, more so temporary until situations are resolved.

This said, I do wish to bring up a pretty major issue that I'm not sure has been addressed/acknowledged, but if the doors open to any security level ID, then someone could spoof 3 fake IDs and just enter the armory on their own, which is a MAJOR vulnerability as well as making the EMAG even less preferably for getting into the armory. I also feel like 3 IDs is maybe too few for what the armory can supply, jumping the number up to 4 I feel is a reasonable thing considering the decision and terminal probably won't be made by security officers exclusively and officers appear and disappear throughout a round.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with the idea if these things were addressed and changed to be less vulnerable.
(05-26-2020, 07:37 PM)Drago156 Wrote: This said, I do wish to bring up a pretty major issue that I'm not sure has been addressed/acknowledged, but if the doors open to any security level ID, then someone could spoof 3 fake IDs and just enter the armory on their own, which is a MAJOR vulnerability as well as making the EMAG even less preferably for getting into the armory. I also feel like 3 IDs is maybe too few for what the armory can supply, jumping the number up to 4 I feel is a reasonable thing considering the decision and terminal probably won't be made by security officers exclusively and officers appear and disappear throughout a round.
I tried to get in once when I was the Captain, and there was only one sec officer. We both used our IDs and I tried using my spare as the third. Wouldn't work. I think that it's actually based on the person and not the Id, unlike the shuttle authorization.
(05-26-2020, 07:37 PM)Drago156 Wrote: someone could spoof 3 fake IDs and just enter the armory on their own

There is code to prevent this - the authorization PC scans both the used ID *and* the fingerprints of the person who used the machine. The only way you can fool it is with 3 separate IDs and 3 individual DNA samples to transform into.
(05-26-2020, 08:33 PM)mbc Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 07:37 PM)Drago156 Wrote: someone could spoof 3 fake IDs and just enter the armory on their own

There is code to prevent this - the authorization PC scans both the used ID *and* the fingerprints of the person who used the machine. The only way you can fool it is with 3 separate IDs and 3 individual DNA samples to transform into.

Can confirm, though I really like the idea of using Secs severed arms to trigger the fingerprint scanner.

I was going to argue in favor of HoS being able to override the armory, but then I thought about it and I think it's fine.

Anyone that gets into the armory is going to take what they want from it anyway, so being able to lock it again after seems like a moot point.
(05-26-2020, 09:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 08:33 PM)mbc Wrote:

Can confirm, though I really like the idea of using Secs severed arms to trigger the fingerprint scanner.

I was going to argue in favor of HoS being able to override the armory, but then I thought about it and I think it's fine.

Anyone that gets into the armory is going to take what they want from it anyway, so being able to lock it again after seems like a moot point.
Matter of fact - I completely agree. Cutting of several arms to do the job could be fun,...
And if any coder wants to take it further...then read my expanded idea on this.

Y'all know how the gloves of the janitor nearly cover at least half their arms?
Now imagine such gloves - but created by creating arm-gloves; from somebodies arms.
Gloves made from flabs of skin. Of course they would display the fingerprint of the person whose arm it is - once wearing it.
the fact that the hos has to permanently unlock the armory for the rest of the round just to get in there legitimately really irks me. i feel like the head of security shouldn't have to initiate what is essentially a state of emergency just to get into the god damn room without hacking the doors, but maybe that's just me. the unlocking also shouldn't be a permanent, one time thing - the hos should definitely be able to lock it back down again, even if it means never being able to open it back up for the rest of sec
I've been doing some thinking about this - I don't actually mind this, and actually welcome it, but it requires further refining.

I'm going to point out my experience here. Let's take cog1 or any map where the armory can be accessed from the rear. I hear someone making their way through, but I can't actually open the doors to see.

Let's say I don't hear them, as I'm too busy griefing the clown. They've made their way into the armory. They've taken all the guns off the racks, and maybe a few stingers. No alarm is set off, the guns are just free to take. This is a less of an issue in Kondaru where there's a turret, but not all maps have that luxury.

So we're in this weird halfway house. The armory is secure - for security. But not secure for literally anyone with some hacking tools, which is fucking everyone.

I would suggest amending the following:

1. The guns on the racks? They're alarmed and will PDA message all security in the vicinity that your intruding. Better have a quick escape route, nerd.

2. HoS can freely enter in and out of the doors. If that requires a swipe on the computer, then make it an extra option. The armory is still locked down, but the HoS can take a few items that are out in the open (which there are many), should he feel obliged.

3. The 3 sec IDs + Sec DNA needs to be tweaked. I welcome that a HoP/Captain can't just spoof their way into the armory by making IDs. But I also feel that if someone has gone to the effort to hunt down three officers/ 2 + Captain / HoS and has their ID(s), then they should be allowed into the armory. They've already steamrolled security, let them at it. Change this so that the IDs that spawn with Security at round start are unique to security/captain/HoS and can't be spoofed.

For point 3, an optional change here would be to merge the security badge and the ID together, they're effectively the same thing, both can be flashed to show your authority, and the captain starts golden anyway.
HoS can walk in/out of armory without using pc now