Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Give MD permissions for their tranq rifle already
Just died to a wizman cause a securitron stunned me and cuffed me after the wizman stunned me

It's been weird forever that they give tranq rifle to MD but arrest them for using it.
"they" dont give the tranq rifle to the MD.
The MD brings contraband to the station, same as the barman.

The best we could do is maybe make it more obvious to newbies that the guns *are* contraband, so they dont make roundstart game ending mistakes, but giving those jobs a weapons permit would honestly ruin them and make them exceptionally powerful rampage classes, as they're both "Rambo Chemist" at that point

i will die on this hill
But the tranq rifle has super limited ammo with a knockout effect that isn't that great. I dunno, I see your point but I feel like the RD can set themselves guard buddies, but the MD can't pull an anti-psychotic rifle? Seems like a stretch to me in terms of what makes em OP. Like, the MD has very limited rampage potential. something like eight shots on cog1 and you need to land four to knock someone out for a few seconds

Wouldn't be so bad, but the moment you actually pull the rifle to do something useful the sec drone thats outside the MD's office is on you. Maybe at least make it so they stop caring once you put it away. I dunno, weapons permissions are weird anyway. "That Wizard has a staff that allows him to fire firebolts at the crew... hmmm, Id says he can hold weapons so it's good ... THAT MD HAS A GUN THAT CAN MAKE PEOPLE SLEEP FOR TEN SECONDS IF HE HITS THEM FOUR TIEMS, GET HIM! CHASE EM TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH, LET NO MD LEAVE THIS STATION ALIVE". Though.... now that I've typed it how, it is funny

Maybe weapons permissions with drones should come on an implant instead of an ID? At least makes it harder for Antags to gain ez street by stealing an ID. Gotta throw sec on a table and cut it out.
this is also by your admission a kneejerk thread, maybe come back to the idea in a day
(05-19-2020, 05:56 AM)warcrimes Wrote: this is also by your admission a kneejerk thread, maybe come back to the idea in a day

It's actually something I've been thinking for a few days but kept thinking maybe I'm overreacting. I came here because I told myself I wouldn't post this until I found a scenario where it actually caused a real problem and not just a minor inconvenience. Since I started playing MD again it triggered sectrons a few times, worst that happened was "hey can I get you to uncuff me" or "welp gotta hide here." It is less of a knee jerk and more of a validation, but I'll come back in a day and request deletion if I change my mind for sure just in case I I am just reacting :-)
On Cogmap1 in particular, there's a securitron set to be stationary by default right in front of the MDir's room. This is a teaching moment without consequences right at the start - the securitron will get grumpy at you, but won't start chasing you, which teaches a new MDir "be careful with when you whip out the gun."

Consistency across all guns is important with regard to requiring a weapon permit, and MDir doesn't really have much of a reason to have an all-encompassing weapons permit from the start. If you foresee yourself using the tranq gun while there's likely securitrons around, ask the HoP to upgrade your ID, or just take the risks associated with using a gun.

Also note that the gun makes for a decent melee weapon - it deals 10 damage, which is the general cap of on-station melee weapons besides the bat, putting it on the level of stunbatons.
Knowing how "bad" it is and that Beepsky chases you down if you do, you chose to attempt to use it anyway. That indicates to me that you don't really think it's all that bad, or at least better than the alternatives available at the time.

Just putting that out there.
People say that the Tranq Rifle is contraband that the MD brought on station, but surely this is not the case for the Implant Gun and the aptly named NT Syringe Gun.

Being chased down by Securitrons is just a huge bother when trying to use those items, so I am all for giving the MD a permission to use them.

If people believe that it would be too strong for traitor MDs, the solution would probably be to implement separate "Weapon Licenses" for things like Tranq Rifles and Tasers that can be found on station and a separate license for "Contraband", so a traitor MD can't just buy a traitor gun and shoot everyone without repercussion. I believe there is currently another thread about this on the forums.

Or alternatively, why not just adjust the MDs guns contraband levels down so that they will fly under beepsky's radar, it's not like they are really very dangerous. I believe the Syringe Gun and Implant Gun already have it at 1, why not just put the tranq rifle at 1 too. If this leads to problems with the safari kit, just adjust the safari kit's clothing contraband levels up or something.
So I'm either way on this in that I couldn't particularly care, since the MDir is kinda given mutadone rounds which could be useful in taking down genenerds and such, but I do want to mention that the barman's riot shotgun DOES NOT trigger security bots unless you fire upon them. The barman has weapon permit access AFAIK.
I agree that the nt syringe gun should probably not be contraband. Maybe up its conteaband level if it's emagged, but it should be fine if unemagged.
The syringe gun / implanter should not be contraband (or at least unemagged, as per Kyle's suggestion)

The tranq gun should remain contraband.
(05-19-2020, 01:20 PM)Drago156 Wrote: So I'm either way on this in that I couldn't particularly care, since the MDir is kinda given mutadone rounds which could be useful in taking down genenerds and such, but I do want to mention that the barman's riot shotgun DOES NOT trigger security bots unless you fire upon them. The barman has weapon permit access AFAIK.

Just tested this and I do not think this is the case. However, I am not sure if the Barman should have a permit? What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
Bartenders do not have a firearms permit and I like it that way