REX's Mentor Application
Usual character name: REX (Borg), rarely Tiggy Rex (REX's holiday self)
BYOND username: Tiggersaurus
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Tiggy#0624
Recommended by (if applicable): Emily
Goon servers you play: Goon 2 most of the time, sometimes dip into RP

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

*scream *aflap

Ok so, this has been a little while coming but brain gremlins kept me from applying. Recently been poked by a few people so here goes I guess?

I love helping people pure and simple. Whether it be healing them up from explosions, fixing breaches or just patiently walking someone through how to make a borg shell. I may sass.exe from time to time but when it comes to helping someone learn, they become my focus and I will guide them through to the best of my abilities.

I started playing ss13 sometime last August? Quickly found that some of the TG culture seemed quite hostile and stumbled on a reddit thread that mentioned Goon. Quick look at the rules and it seemed like it might be a good fit for me. Fast forward 9 months and I have played most roles to some degree, some vastly more than others I will admit.

Some will notice that I almost exclusively play Borg, often seen running in mediborg form yelling "stop!" as injured people run off into the distance. I enjoy it a lot, plus the UI makes it easier for disabilities I have (left hand partially fucked). I enjoy the challenge that comes with working out non-harmful methods of defusing a situation. While not all law changes are created equal, I do love conversing with other silicons, working to interprete and convey law changes should confusion arise. This also includes gauging how the round is going and going rogue appropriately.

Examples: Station blown to hell and I'm emagged? I'll heal people so that some can get on the shuttle or do light mischief.
Station relatively calm while emagged? Break out the lube and random chems to cause some chaos.

Obviously a lot of the round is the push and pull with antags vs sec vs everyone else and while antags *are* important to the flow, I try to make sure *a lot* of people have fun rather than sitting in ghost form for 40 mins.

Since Goon went open source I have kept an eye out for silicon-related bugs and have done my best to push for some QoL changes for other silicon users. I appreciate the coders/spriters/mappers work immensely and think it's amazing wizadry!

Areas I have a lot of experience: Silicons, medical, construction fixing
Areas I have little to no experience: Engine magic, packet nerdry

Other areas I have a range of basic experience and am always looking to learn more, though borg limitations can make it challenging sometimes but thats half the fun! Recently dipped into cooking, engine magic and even security! (I think I'm too soft for sec >.>)

I think that's it really, I want to help more is what it boils down to.

Thank you for reading, take care!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None!
Tiggy is very pleasant to interact with, both in-game and on discord. They're knowledgeable and kind and very much experienced with cyborgs and medical gameplay. Absolutely +1. This application was a long time coming!
While Tiggy is a great person, I feel like I can't +1 this app, no matter how much I'd like to, due to the fact that I've nearly never seen them play a non silicon role. While I understand some players prefer to play as silicons, I believe some level of experience as a human is necessary, if you're wanting to help new players, who are usually more confused by the human side of gameplay, and certain things that just don't come up for silicons, such as questions regarding antagonists(Help, I'm a vampire, what do I do?). I don't know if it's just timezones being annoying as usual, but for now, this is a no from me. Sorry Tiggy frown
Yes, tiggy for mentor 2020.
(05-18-2020, 01:38 PM)Trustworthy Wrote: While Tiggy is a great person, I feel like I can't +1 this app, no matter how much I'd like to, due to the fact that I've nearly never seen them play a non silicon role. While I understand some players prefer to play as silicons, I believe some level of experience as a human is necessary, if you're wanting to help new players, who are usually more confused by the human side of gameplay, and certain things that just don't come up for silicons, such as questions regarding antagonists(Help, I'm a vampire, what do I do?). I don't know if it's just timezones being annoying as usual, but for now, this is a no from me. Sorry Tiggy frown

That's fair play. I was under the impression that mentors weren't required to know all things but obviously most new players will start off human big grin I did play human a lot pre-2020 where I learnt botany/medical/robotics but after I came back from a couple months break after christmas, I decided to main borg to help with my physical health/pain (fibromyalgia). I've taken this onboard though and I will attempt to weave in more human rounds (I did a whole evening as sec recently!) big grin

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
Very pleasant and helpful. Would make a fine mentor, absolutely
Seen them teaching new borgs and being very patient with them. Recommended for mentor.
Rex already teaches a lot of people, and always seems willing to help. If the current playerbase were only allowed to have five mentors right now, I'd still think Rex should be one. It's a natural extension of what he already does, with increased ability to do so. The criticism that he only plays borg right now seems strange since borgs have to be made starkly aware of their limitations to overcome them. It means an inherent understanding of the functions that drive certain things.

Rex is the type of player the mentor system was made for.
+1 fo sho. I agree with vampirate comment about Rex being the type of player the mentor system was made for.
ye +1, purp tis nerd
As someone who frequently plays AI, REX is a good borg to have around - pleasant both in games and outside of them, and they always help new borgs (and are admittedly quite defensive with them, protecting them from gank and such). Unfortunately I don't know exactly how skilled they are as a borg since I don't monitor them 24/7 - I just know that they're pretty damn competent.

An all-round pleasant person to have both in and out of games, with a very welcoming attitude towards newer players. Definitely fits the bill for the personality requirements of a mentor, but like I said, I honestly do not know how well-versed they are in the game's mechanics.

Overall, +1, provided that they, again, have good knowledge that can be helpful as a mentor. (no offense buddy I literally just don't know how much of a nerd you are xD)
Yes, we need a borg person in the mentor crew and Tiggy is good and nice.
Tiggy is friendly in discord and REX knows what they are doing. They also teach new borg players which I like, because robots are cool and to many people refuse to play them for some reason
woah someone ive had experience with recently despite basically never playing? REX is a super good presence in game when ive encountered them, i think theyd make a lovely mentor
yes +1 always helpful