Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
HoS players are chosen as Nuke Op Commander (if rolled)
Lightbulb 
Woah there woooaah. Hold your horses. I know this might seem a little controversial if you just read the title alone, but I hope if you read juuuust a little further you might see eye to eye with me on this one. 

Nuke ops have a tendency to go belly up sometimes. Fluke ops, as it may be. This isn't normally because of the efficacy of the defending crew, but that plays a part. The large majority of fluke ops is due to piss poor communication. 

The commander is, by rule of thumb, meant to command. I've been in nuke op teams where the commander hasn't said a single word, and I shed a single commie tear everytime.

Who has experience at leading stuff? Who is whitelisted on the matter? HoS do, duh. 

This would be a very simple change. If you are chosen as antagonist for the round, and you HoS whitelisted, and the round is Nuke Op - then you spawn as the Nuke Op Commander by default. You also get a big red message (along with the Nuke location) to "Listen to the [Commander title]!" The nuke op commanders title will be taken from a pool of commanding titles such as Boss, Leader, Commander, Bigwig, etc. (Does this part happen already? If so my bad).

Some potential complaints that I will swat away with my giant complaint flyswatter:

Q1: Sundance, does that not give an unfair advantage to HoS players?
A1: There is literally no difference between the commanders and troops other than fancy clothes, fancy title and a fancy sword. Your load out is effectively the same. 

Q2: Sundance, what if two HoS players roll nuke op?
A2: First of all the crew shits their pants. Secondly only one of them is chosen as commander, not two. 

Q3: Sundance, what if nobody is HoS, does that mean there's no commander? 
A3: No silly, there will always be one commander. HoS players get priority, that's just it.

Q4: Sundance if non-HoS players get to roll as commander, then doesn't that kind of undermine the authority of the commander? 
A4: Yes. You don't have to listen to the commander. This just encourages players to do so, and gives HoS players with experience the ability to lead, should they be chosen.

Q5: Sundance, the commander is giving absolutely asinine orders that are bound to fail. Help?
A5: Entertain the thought. It just might work. Glory to the syndicate! Crush the capitalist forces!
Correction on A1: The commander spawns with one of the best armors in the game, other than potentially the heavy nuke op armor

Commissar Coat: Melee -6, Ranged 3, explosion resist 3, no movement delay

Heavy Nuke Op Armor: Melee -8, Ranged 2, explosion resist 0, 0.5 movement delay

Every Other Nukie: Melee -3, Ranged 0.5, explosion resist 0, 0 movement delay
*scream

I still think this idea has merit, despite that correction.  space bear

If those armor stats would cause some potential salt, then lower those armor stats, just mildly. That's a big if though,  I don't see it causing too much upset.
Yeah I think this is a good idea, it gives the nukies a reason to listen to their leader, and buffs nuke ops, which is good, cos better coordination is important.
You could also buff generic nukie armor, it's pretty shit at the moment.
Could just make it so the person with the most nukeop rounds out of the group rolls commander, so even in groups without an HoS the person who has the uniform on is theoretically the most experienced
(05-09-2020, 08:04 AM)Flaborized Wrote: Could just make it so the person with the most nukeop rounds out of the group rolls commander, so even in groups without an HoS the person who has the uniform on is theoretically the most experienced

Hey, this isn't a bad idea either! I wasn't aware that was something that was being counted, stats wise? How far back does it count?

If thats the most fair way to do it, then I'm down for this. I'd still like the big red message telling you to listen to the commissioner at round start, if implemented as the above with this in mind it'd go something like 

"Follow the Commissioner's orders, they have been nominated as the most experienced of your team!"

Edit: Keep in mind the intention of this wasn't for a HoS specific antag role, as it only will give preference to HoS players if and only if they actually get selected as an antagonist. The intention was to... Solidify a leadership role that comes from experience.
If that can be done without the HoS whitelist as per Flabs suggestion, then all the better.
Just plop the katana down on the table with all the other stuff then, and give HoS the armor advantage.I think the armor you get out of crates is functionally similar and most nukies go crate.

Other than that, sure why not? Ups the chance of winning. Only real problem is you're then whitelisting an antag role. I dunno if being able to adminhelp when you think you're ready to be whitelisted as a commander would help? For those who can't/won't apply for HoS.
(05-09-2020, 09:19 AM)vampirate Wrote: I think the armor you get out of crates is functionally similar and most nukies go crate.

Only the Heavy's and the Firebrand's suits have specially good stats. The Heavy's isn't even strictly better than the Commander's suit, and the Firebrand's only specially protects against fire.
(05-09-2020, 09:19 AM)vampirate Wrote: Only real problem is you're then whitelisting an antag role.
Q3 of the proposal outlines that HoS would just have priority, not exclusivity.
My point is make a whitelist to add yourself to being a priority without being HoS. They can request it from admins when they think they're ready without having to commit to a high sec role.
Then just set Nukie Commander to a seperate selectable Antag. Boom. Functionality done.
(05-09-2020, 01:44 PM)GORE Wrote: Then just set Nukie Commander to a seperate selectable Antag. Boom. Functionality done.

This is a better solution than tying it to the HoS whitelist imo
I think the problem is no one wants to effectively tell other people how to play, but they do need coordination.

The commander is best suited as simply the go that takes all the elements of what people want to do, turns it into a plan, and makes sure everyone is ready before they give the go
(05-09-2020, 07:08 PM)Tarmunora Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 01:44 PM)GORE Wrote: Then just set Nukie Commander to a seperate selectable Antag. Boom. Functionality done.

This is a better solution than tying it to the HoS whitelist imo

It isn't really tbh, and is making this rather simple change a bit askew to its original intention.

If nobody has nuke commander selected, then it would be presumably be selected at random between those who rolled antagonist. 

See the problem there? It removes the angle of those with experience going into commander role, the original intention of the OP.

But like I said, I think flab's suggestion above is decent workaround, as it would be likely that those who have X amount of nuke op rounds under their belt be HoS players anyway, if not, definitely HoS material / robust.

And I'll reiterate: This is a flavor thing. It's not necessary to follow the commissioner or even follow your team. You will be rightfully shamed in the ooc later, but hey that's on you as a player!
To be honest...if Nukie commander is whitelisted than one has even less incetive to listen to the Nukie Commander. Usually I like to work together with'em and try to get my own gimmick started when I am the Nukie Commander......but if that role will just be removed from every users Antag list...then why should I even bother to put up with the Commander; knowing that I'd have to join an exclusive club for playing a really fun role has Nukie Commander.