Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A balance pass on all pathology symptoms
kind of late since pathology was removed just before I made this thread, but regardless, I have looked over every pathology symptom and attempted to come up with ways they could be improved. This will not have any new symptoms, just changes to existing ones. From the top:

Tier One
  • Indigestion: Add occasional messages about you having a stomach ache, so they know where the damage is coming from.
  • Gasping: Make it so gasping caused by pathogens doesn't play the gasping sound effect. Pathogens should only hurt the character, not the player.
  • Shivering: Remove, it's literally chatspam and nothing else.
  • Sweating: Add message "you feel something wet touch you" when you are infected through sweat.
  • Shakespeare: Remove chatspam messages, keep the text replacements.
  • Farting: Add message "you smell something weird" when you are infected through a fart.
Tier Two
  • Coughing: Add message "you feel a bit of water hit you" when infected through a cough.
  • Muscle Ache: No change needed, fairly balanced T2 symptom.
  • Sneezing: Add message "you feel a wet glob hit you" when infected through a sneeze.
  • Fever: No change needed.
  • Common Chills: No change needed.
  • Detoxification: Change from beneficial to mixed. Sometimes you want to be drunk.
  • Snapping: Lower volume of snap sound effect (see comment on gasping), remove chance to snap your fingers off from pathology-induced snaps.
  • Oxygen Farts: If possible, change atmos so the tiny amounts of air created no longer blows people around. If that isn't possible (it's almost certainly impossible knowing atmos), change from beneficial to mixed.
  • Wound Mending: No change needed.
  • Burn Healing: No change needed.
  • Oxytocin Production: Add message "that felt unusually soft" when infected through a hug
Tier Three
  • Deathgasping: Remove, see comment on Shivering.
  • Cleansing: No change needed.
  • Disorientation: Make mannitol temporarily nullify effects.
  • Paranoia: Make haloperidol temporarily nullify effects, remove brain damage from haloperidol.
  • Fluent Speech: See comment on Coughing.
  • Sunglasses Glands: Make it so the sunglasses fall on the floor if you are already wearing something in your eyes, instead of the other way around.
  • Hepatomegaly: Add message "that felt harder than usual..." when consuming alcohol.
  • Plasma Farts: Raise to Tier Five. Holy shit this is one of the most destructive symptoms why is this so low?
  • Projectile Bee Egg Sneezing: Raise to Tier Five. Bees can cause lag in large amounts, and if enough of them are in one spot it could result in one misclick leading to death. Shouldn't be so easy to casually slap onto any pathogen
  • Neuron Restoration: No change needed.
Tier Four
  • Serious Paranoia: See comment on Paranoia.
  • Teleportation: No change needed.
  • Acute Fever: No change needed.
  • Acute Chills: No change needed.
  • Smoke Farts: No change needed.
  • CO2 Farts: Remove. CO2 is already a terribly unfun game mechanic. This puts CO2 literally everywhere.
  • Senility: Make mannitol temporarily nullify it's effects.
  • Accelerated Metabolisis: No change needed.
  • Auto-Brewery: No change needed.
  • Radioactivity: Make anti-radiation chems temporarily nullify it's effects.
  • Jazz Snapping: See comments on Snapping.
  • Flesh Restructuring: No change needed.
Tier Five
  • ALL Tier Five Symptoms: Hard limit of one T5 per pathogen. This was discussed a lot prior to removal but I don't believe it was ever implemented. Additionally, make it so if some poor bastard gets infected with multiple pathogens with T5 symptoms at once, then only the first T5 will take effect.
  • Gibbing: When it rolls the 2% chance to gib, add a one-minute grace period where you can still cure yourself before you explode, with a message "you feel like you are about to burst!" warning you that the timer has started.
  • Capacitor and Unlimited Capacitor: Merge into one symptom, remove the random discharges and APC drain entirely, change into positive symptom.
  • Dragon Fever: Remove. We don't need more than one gibbing symptom.
  • Arctic Chills: Remove. See comment on Dragon Fever.
  • Leprosy: Remove, it is just a less flashy and more boring version of Wild Snaps.
  • Oxygen Conversion: Lower to Tier Four. It is just a weaker version of Oxygen Production.
  • Oxygen Production: No change needed.
  • Wild Snapping: Lower snapping volume until it reaches stage five.
  • Random Mutations: No change needed.
  • Random Reinforced Mutations: Remove. It is just Random Mutations but significantly more annoying.
  • Random Good and Stable Mutations: No change needed.
  • Necrotic Detonation: Add thirty-second period after death before the body detonates, so if you die in medbay a fast doctor can still scan you and reclaim the body.
  • Necrotic Resurrection: Instead of the pathogen curing itself on resurrection, it simply disables this symptom.

That is everything I have for this one. Think that a symptom that I said should be removed can still be salvaged? Think that a symptom I said needs no changes should be changed? Or just think that something I changed could be done differently? Make sure to reply and share your thoughts.
Some very decent suggestions here, I hope it doesn't get lost in the toing and froing of any potential change to the system as a whole. I particularly like the removal of chatspam - there's enough on gooncode as it is.

Note some highlights -

Quote:Indigestion: Add occasional messages about you having a stomach ache, so they know where the damage is coming from.
Farting: Add message "you smell something weird" when you are infected through a fart.
Could be tied in with food system in some shape or form.

Quote:Farting: Add message "you smell something weird" when you are infected through a fart.
Coughing: Add message "you feel a bit of water hit you" when infected through a cough.
Sneezing: Add message "you feel a wet glob hit you" when infected through a sneeze.
As indicated in the previous thread, I'd like to see this physically in a form of an outward spray, that players could potentially avoid

Quote:Disorientation: Make mannitol temporarily nullify effects.
Senility: Make mannitol temporarily nullify it's effects.
Change for added benefit to Cannabis, or potentially both.

Quote:Paranoia: Make haloperidol temporarily nullify effects, remove brain damage from haloperidol.
Serious Paranoia: See comment on Paranoia.
Change to Alcohol, or potentially both. Although, I do agree with removing brain damage from halo, heck.

Quote:ALL Tier Five Symptoms: Hard limit of one T5 per pathogen. This was discussed a lot prior to removal but I don't believe it was ever implemented. Additionally, make it so if some poor bastard gets infected with multiple pathogens with T5 symptoms at once, then only the first T5 will take effect.
YES.

Quote:Dragon Fever: Remove. We don't need more than one gibbing symptom.
Arctic Chills: Remove. See comment on Dragon Fever.
Feel this could be nerfed instead of removal entirely. I.e: Getting set on fire and frozen in a block respectively rather than gibbed.

Quote:Leprosy: Remove, it is just a less flashy and more boring version of Wild Snaps.
Instead of removing, rework it so that leprosy infected players can reattach limbs in a similar manner to synthlimbs, no surgery required. While this is beneficial, it's still annoying as fuck and should remain a negative symptom.

Quote:Necrotic Detonation: Add thirty-second period after death before the body detonates, so if you die in medbay a fast doctor can still scan you and reclaim the body.
Agreed, but remove the actual explosion damaging the station aspect of it. Instead, the body gibs and players getting hit with the gibs will then be infected. A vicious way of spreading disease.

Otherwise, all really good!
(05-04-2020, 09:10 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Tier One
  • Indigestion: Add occasional messages about you having a stomach ache, so they know where the damage is coming from.
  • Gasping: Make it so gasping caused by pathogens doesn't play the gasping sound effect. Pathogens should only hurt the character, not the player.
  • Sweating: Add message "you feel something wet touch you" when you are infected through sweat.
  • Farting: Add message "you smell something weird" when you are infected through a fart.
  1. To be honest, I don't understand why everyone is so upset about "chat spam", I never really felt it to be a problem, but I suppose the messages are not a big loss.
  2. The only one I would be really sad to see go would be Shakespearitis, I find it funny every round that it is in. [Image: 1]
  3. As for messages when being infected, that definitely seems like a good idea and is already in place for some symptoms.

Tier Two
  • Coughing: Add message "you feel a bit of water hit you" when infected through a cough.
  • Sneezing: Add message "you feel a wet glob hit you" when infected through a sneeze.
  • Detoxification: Change from beneficial to mixed. Sometimes you want to be drunk.
  • Snapping: Lower volume of snap sound effect (see comment on gasping), remove chance to snap your fingers off from pathology-induced snaps.
  • Oxygen Farts: If possible, change atmos so the tiny amounts of air created no longer blows people around. If that isn't possible (it's almost certainly impossible knowing atmos), change from beneficial to mixed.
  • Oxytocin Production: Add message "that felt unusually soft" when infected through a hug
  1. Snapping is kind of meant to be a negative symptom right now, I think, definitely wouldn't mind transforming it into a nondamaging spreading symptom though, it's a very fun way of spreading disease. (Which is kind of a weird thing to say, but whatever.) Honestly, I don't even understand why Snapping has a chance to damage you in general, it seems weird.
  2. Oxytocin Production already has a message for when it infects you, I think. ("You can't help but feel loved.").
  3. So does Snapping, for that matter. ("That's a pretty catchy groove...").
  4. As for the volume of Snapping and Gasping, they aren't any louder than the normal emotes? So I feel like if it's too loud for you, you should turn your volume down, because in that case all the other things in the game are probably too loud for you as well.
  5. Also, Wound Mending and Burn Healing should probably occasionally give you a feelgood message as well when they heal you. (Not so often as to be spammy, though.)
  6. Somehow making Oxygen Farts not push your around was already discussed when it came out, but iirc some coder(s) said it was very hard/impossible. Not sure what to do about this one, maybe make it so only voluntary farts produced oxygen? So you could use it to repressurize, but it would not do it by itself.
Tier Three
  • Paranoia: Make haloperidol temporarily nullify effects, remove brain damage from haloperidol.
  • Sunglasses Glands: Make it so the sunglasses fall on the floor if you are already wearing something in your eyes, instead of the other way around.
  • Hepatomegaly: Add message "that felt harder than usual..." when consuming alcohol.
  • Plasma Farts: Raise to Tier Five. Holy shit this is one of the most destructive symptoms why is this so low?
  • Projectile Bee Egg Sneezing: Raise to Tier Five. Bees can cause lag in large amounts, and if enough of them are in one spot it could result in one misclick leading to death. Shouldn't be so easy to casually slap onto any pathogen
  1. Upping Bee Sneezing to T5 seems like a bandaid fix. For one, T5 symptoms still regularly appear, so lag would still be an issue in that case. Also, it doesn't really have enough of an effect to warrant being a T5 symptom. I think the best course of action here is maybe bumping it to T4 if it spreads significantly better than lower spreading symptoms and also introducing a cap on the amount of bees it can produce to reduce the amount of lag and bee-related deaths.
  2. Concerning Disorientation, I think perhaps we should just axe it. It's horrible.
  3. I don't feel like Paranoia needs a specific counteragent, seeing as if you know you have Paranoia, it already does basically nothing due to being very obvious.
  4. Sunglass Glands throwing the Sunglasses instead of your actual glasses is definitely a good idea that should be implemented. It will also look really funny to randomly have sunglasses fly out of people's faces.
  5. Plasma Farts definitely needs to be higher than T3. I assume marq put it here because it is more obvious than co2 farts, but in practice that really does not matter.
Tier Four
  • CO2 Farts: Remove. CO2 is already a terribly unfun game mechanic. This puts CO2 literally everywhere.
  1. Senility does so little brain damage that mannitol should already easily outpace it. So the only practical effect this would have is removing the chance to drop items, which is quite minor anyway. I feel like it might be better to rework this symptom to something different altogether.
  2. Accelerated Metabolisis should probably be put into the same category as detoxification.
  3. I don't have a lot of experience with co2 farts. Maybe someone else can weigh in here, I remember some pathologists being quite fond of it.
Tier Five
  • ALL Tier Five Symptoms: Hard limit of one T5 per pathogen. This was discussed a lot prior to removal but I don't believe it was ever implemented. Additionally, make it so if some poor bastard gets infected with multiple pathogens with T5 symptoms at once, then only the first T5 will take effect.
  • Gibbing: When it rolls the 2% chance to gib, add a one-minute grace period where you can still cure yourself before you explode, with a message "you feel like you are about to burst!" warning you that the timer has started.
  • Capacitor and Unlimited Capacitor: Merge into one symptom, remove the random discharges and APC drain entirely, change into positive symptom.
  • Leprosy: Remove, it is just a less flashy and more boring version of Wild Snaps.
  • Oxygen Conversion: Lower to Tier Four. It is just a weaker version of Oxygen Production.
  • Random Reinforced Mutations: Remove. It is just Random Mutations but significantly more annoying.
  • Necrotic Detonation: Add thirty-second period after death before the body detonates, so if you die in medbay a fast doctor can still scan you and reclaim the body.
  • Necrotic Resurrection: Instead of the pathogen curing itself on resurrection, it simply disables this symptom.
  1. Limit on T5s: Definitely something I have considered myself, although I wouldn't go for a hard limit of 1 per symptom. I would prefer a system where one could "spread" their allowance of symptoms among the different tiers, so one could go for a lot of lower tier symptoms or maybe one or two high tier ones. This could also be tied to microbodies, with some allowing more symptoms in exchange for having worse stats (that being things like Stages, Advance Rate, Activity, not the stats that are easily changed via the manipulator).
  2. The various kinds of chems that could temporarily halt a symptom are a good idea that a lot of people on the Discord seem to like, so we should definitely go in that direction and maybe even add more of those.
  3. I feel like just having Random Mutations would make the symptom way too easily treatable with mutadone, perhaps we should instead keep Reinforced Mutations and make it so Mutadone makes it so you don't acquire new mutations while you have it in you? And also remove all acquired mutations when the pathogen is cured.
  4. The way Wild Snapping and Jazz Snapping work right now is by just instantly doing the Snap emote up to 25 times, which causes a lot of sound and potentially lag issues for some people. These should be changed to just have different cool sounds in addition to their effects while just snapping once. (Personally, I am partial to Jazz Snapping just always triggering the Saxophone playing, even if you are not already holding one.)
  5. I feel like Dragon Fever and Arctic Chills have a really nice flavour right now that I would be sad to see go. Perhaps there could be a way to "thaw" people out of their ice status or maybe, idk, somehow bring ash heaps back to life. If not, we could just add a single gibbing symptom that randomly picks what flavour of gibbing it will be that round, but I definitely want to keep Dragon Fever and Arctic Chills, they are very cool. B)
  6. Leprosy Removal - sure, why not. It's the personification of disappointment when you find a T5 and it's Leprosy. (Maybe add something else that will remove legs or add something to Wild Snapping, if it will be the go to for limb removal.
  7. Beneficial Mutations urgently needs the bug fixed where ability icons disappear when you acquire lots of abilities. Every round I had with that I had like 10 active abilities but only 2 or 3 buttons, which is really underwhelming.
  8. Oxygen Production is pretty much useless right now if you are not in crit. I propose we change it to actually allow people to not have to breathe or something. And yeah, probably get rid of Oxygen Conversion. Maybe another conversion symptom that uses your flesh for something more fun and actually useful.
  9. Delay on Detonation seems unnecessary to me. Doctors will be aware if the disease has the symptom, so they can just scan you while still alive and and then get your body out of there if they think they can't save you. Also, this would remove the possibility for chain reactions, which would really be a shame.
  10. Buff for Resurrection: When I made this I was careful to not make it op, but having played with it for a while now I think it'd definitely be fine to give it some buffs. Maybe even have it start resurrecting people at less than Stage 5. (Or, ideally, have it advance in stage while people are dead unlike normal pathogens and also infect corpses, so there could be fun situations where you just rise up after a few minutes or dead bodies in the morgue start to rise after a while.)
Overall there are a lot of great ideas here, especially in regards to suppressing individual symptoms. I hope that some day Pathology will return and be welcomed back by the crew.
(05-05-2020, 10:06 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 09:10 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: Tier One
  1. To be honest, I don't understand why everyone is so upset about "chat spam", I never really felt it to be a problem, but I suppose the messages are not a big loss.
  2. The only one I would be really sad to see go would be Shakespearitis, I find it funny every round that it is in. [Image: 1]
  3. As for messages when being infected, that definitely seems like a good idea and is already in place for some symptoms.

Tier Two
  1. Snapping is kind of meant to be a negative symptom right now, I think, definitely wouldn't mind transforming it into a nondamaging spreading symptom though, it's a very fun way of spreading disease. (Which is kind of a weird thing to say, but whatever.) Honestly, I don't even understand why Snapping has a chance to damage you in general, it seems weird.
  2. Oxytocin Production already has a message for when it infects you, I think. ("You can't help but feel loved.").
  3. So does Snapping, for that matter. ("That's a pretty catchy groove...").
  4. As for the volume of Snapping and Gasping, they aren't any louder than the normal emotes? So I feel like if it's too loud for you, you should turn your volume down, because in that case all the other things in the game are probably too loud for you as well.
  5. Also, Wound Mending and Burn Healing should probably occasionally give you a feelgood message as well when they heal you. (Not so often as to be spammy, though.)
  6. Somehow making Oxygen Farts not push your around was already discussed when it came out, but iirc some coder(s) said it was very hard/impossible. Not sure what to do about this one, maybe make it so only voluntary farts produced oxygen? So you could use it to repressurize, but it would not do it by itself.
Tier Three
  1. Upping Bee Sneezing to T5 seems like a bandaid fix. For one, T5 symptoms still regularly appear, so lag would still be an issue in that case. Also, it doesn't really have enough of an effect to warrant being a T5 symptom. I think the best course of action here is maybe bumping it to T4 if it spreads significantly better than lower spreading symptoms and also introducing a cap on the amount of bees it can produce to reduce the amount of lag and bee-related deaths.
  2. Concerning Disorientation, I think perhaps we should just axe it. It's horrible.
  3. I don't feel like Paranoia needs a specific counteragent, seeing as if you know you have Paranoia, it already does basically nothing due to being very obvious.
  4. Sunglass Glands throwing the Sunglasses instead of your actual glasses is definitely a good idea that should be implemented. It will also look really funny to randomly have sunglasses fly out of people's faces.
  5. Plasma Farts definitely needs to be higher than T3. I assume marq put it here because it is more obvious than co2 farts, but in practice that really does not matter.
Tier Four
  1. Senility does so little brain damage that mannitol should already easily outpace it. So the only practical effect this would have is removing the chance to drop items, which is quite minor anyway. I feel like it might be better to rework this symptom to something different altogether.
  2. Accelerated Metabolisis should probably be put into the same category as detoxification.
  3. I don't have a lot of experience with co2 farts. Maybe someone else can weigh in here, I remember some pathologists being quite fond of it.
Tier Five
  1. Limit on T5s: Definitely something I have considered myself, although I wouldn't go for a hard limit of 1 per symptom. I would prefer a system where one could "spread" their allowance of symptoms among the different tiers, so one could go for a lot of lower tier symptoms or maybe one or two high tier ones. This could also be tied to microbodies, with some allowing more symptoms in exchange for having worse stats (that being things like Stages, Advance Rate, Activity, not the stats that are easily changed via the manipulator).
  2. The various kinds of chems that could temporarily halt a symptom are a good idea that a lot of people on the Discord seem to like, so we should definitely go in that direction and maybe even add more of those.
  3. I feel like just having Random Mutations would make the symptom way too easily treatable with mutadone, perhaps we should instead keep Reinforced Mutations and make it so Mutadone makes it so you don't acquire new mutations while you have it in you? And also remove all acquired mutations when the pathogen is cured.
  4. The way Wild Snapping and Jazz Snapping work right now is by just instantly doing the Snap emote up to 25 times, which causes a lot of sound and potentially lag issues for some people. These should be changed to just have different cool sounds in addition to their effects while just snapping once. (Personally, I am partial to Jazz Snapping just always triggering the Saxophone playing, even if you are not already holding one.)
  5. I feel like Dragon Fever and Arctic Chills have a really nice flavour right now that I would be sad to see go. Perhaps there could be a way to "thaw" people out of their ice status or maybe, idk, somehow bring ash heaps back to life. If not, we could just add a single gibbing symptom that randomly picks what flavour of gibbing it will be that round, but I definitely want to keep Dragon Fever and Arctic Chills, they are very cool. B)
  6. Leprosy Removal - sure, why not. It's the personification of disappointment when you find a T5 and it's Leprosy. (Maybe add something else that will remove legs or add something to Wild Snapping, if it will be the go to for limb removal.
  7. Beneficial Mutations urgently needs the bug fixed where ability icons disappear when you acquire lots of abilities. Every round I had with that I had like 10 active abilities but only 2 or 3 buttons, which is really underwhelming.
  8. Oxygen Production is pretty much useless right now if you are not in crit. I propose we change it to actually allow people to not have to breathe or something. And yeah, probably get rid of Oxygen Conversion. Maybe another conversion symptom that uses your flesh for something more fun and actually useful.
  9. Delay on Detonation seems unnecessary to me. Doctors will be aware if the disease has the symptom, so they can just scan you while still alive and and then get your body out of there if they think they can't save you. Also, this would remove the possibility for chain reactions, which would really be a shame.
  10. Buff for Resurrection: When I made this I was careful to not make it op, but having played with it for a while now I think it'd definitely be fine to give it some buffs. Maybe even have it start resurrecting people at less than Stage 5. (Or, ideally, have it advance in stage while people are dead unlike normal pathogens and also infect corpses, so there could be fun situations where you just rise up after a few minutes or dead bodies in the morgue start to rise after a while.)
Overall there are a lot of great ideas here, especially in regards to suppressing individual symptoms. I hope that some day Pathology will return and be welcomed back by the crew.