Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Portable energy cell chargers for bio weapons crate
So, often when fighting a large blob, it's a losing battle. You can raid the armory and hand all the weapons to the crew to fight, but it can feel like lots of times, there's just not enough ammo to go around. You can give someone a phaser which is very effective against blobs, but that's really only good for 8 shots or so, which takes out at most 8 blob tiles. Then the phaser is spent and it's only use is as an average melee weapon because leaving the fight to search for a free recharger is not a very effective strategy.

One of the best blob rounds I remember involved mechanics copying the captain's egun and setting up cell chargers in medbay a little while from the fight. So people would bring back weapons and be charging them constantly. Which worked well until we were overrun.

So the proposal is this:
1. Add a large object that cannot be picked up, but only dragged around which you'll have to wrench or screwdriver into the floor to activate that can charge cells of weapons placed on it.
2. Add 2 of these two the armory bio weapons or phaser crate.
I feel like this was a cool interaction with the mechanics that is, imo, best left to the mechanics. I think your story is cool specifically because it involved a mechanic working together with sec/command to set up a recharging area.

Setting up recharging areas is actually very common/standard thing mechanics do in a lot of different contexts.

I honestly don't think these mobile recharging stations need to exist. I also think that they sound kinda strong to me, since the balance of energy guns right now is already sorta iffy due to the ready availability of extra cells to carry around, and the limited number of places to charge them feels significant.

I also don't think the crew needs the extra help against blob, specifically. They already have the overwhelming advantage.
Got to agree with Urs here - It sounds quite strong in terms of balance outside blob rounds.

Besides the point, if you were overrun with the crew armed with eguns and deployed charging stations, then I feel the blob at that point deserved to win.

Might instead look into a way to mass produce small batteries.
Yeah it's nice for large blobs, but it's gonna end the already weak early game for smaller ones. Maybe you could make it available to qm at the thirty minute mark?
(05-01-2020, 04:35 AM)Sundance Wrote: Might instead look into a way to mass produce small batteries.

You can cut a potato with a knife and then hit it with a wire to get a weak battery that works for energy weapons.