Cameron Phoenix's HoS application
Usual character name: Cameron Phoenix
BYOND username: MrBruce
Discord username (if you are on our discord):  BruceyBoyo
Recommended by (if applicable): Leeanei, Drago156, Mopcat
Goon servers you play: Goon2 (have been tempted by RP, haven't played it yet)

Reason for application: Security Officer is a job I very much enjoy playing, for both its gameplay and fun in itself and for the potential to make the round more fun for others. The Head of Security job is able to add a lot to the security experience between their added access and their prime position to coordinate security, both for the security officers themselves and for the antagonists, but this same access could just as easily be misused to ruin the experience for everyone involved - thus the whitelist. (Those armory tools are locked down for many good reasons!) I also enjoy, in general, passing on knowledge and helping others learn - I jump at the chance to help teach new sec players the basics, which the Head of Security is in a prime position for. (I might apply for mentor sometime too who knows) I feel, and hope, that having me as HoS would be fun for both me and the server population.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I've played security quite a lot - how much exactly, I'm not sure. Althought I've played Goonstation since 2016, I avoided security for a long while because I didn't want to be a bad sec player and ruin everything. However, I've played enough to have experienced every common antagonist, attempted to stop them at least a few times and often died horribly in the attempt. I remember the days when having even a single officer was rare, and it made those rounds pretty much a free run for antagonists. Competent security makes it fun for antagonists to play by giving them someone to actually avoid and fight, with an added bonus of reducing the rate at which the crew's rounds get ended.

Security does have to contend with not only antagonists, but with staff assistants, clowns and other such types with their low-risk semi-criminal shenanigans. Clowns equipped with toy swords and banana peels are sentenced to an immediate shoving over and farting on, possibly with a ticket for resisting a lawful farting-on if they make it too hard. Ticketing is also an art form, and a solution to everything, including a lack of problems. Staff assistants shoving each other? Ticket. Clown operating a genetics lab in the toilet? Ticket for not having a license... then get the captain to stamp them a license. Gone blind from radiation? Ticket the blindness. Suffocating in space? Ticket space. Attempted nuclear destruction of the station without a permit? That's a ticket... followed by brutal execution, and another ticket for exploding on death. (Can you tell I take pride in my tickets?) Brig time, meanwhile, is generally reserved for things that are actually illegal or dangerous in some way (breaking into important places, stabbing people, stealing security gear, being a real annoyance while being arrested for the above). Even when handling suspects of major crime, I've found it's generally better to stay calm and polite until absolutely sure it's time to arrest - it prevents unnecessarily stunning and cuffing people for wearing the same clothes as a crimer, and real crimers tend to helpfully sprint away or try to stab you to death with a razor while you investigate, making it easy to figure out who to arrest. There are, of course, situations that require significantly less thought - nuclear operatives, blobs and angry, rampaging changelings very obviously need serious and likely round-ending penalties. (Although arresting them, if possible, is hilarious.)

My "hard" robustness is nothing special. I can hold my own in a fight where the odds aren't stacked too hard against me, but security's strength is in tactics, strategy and teamwork - forensics can at least point you in the right direction, the AI can be an excellent ally in crime-fighting without requiring them to actually bolt anyone in or go SecAI and, most importantly, multiple security officers working together can be almost impossible to defeat in a fight. The port-a-brig is also effective for highly dangerous "unarrestable" antagonists, and is extremely hard to escape from... if you remember to lock it. And those barriers are useful in a straight fight - they make the user a lot harder to beat down, and bouncing projectiles with the special is an underused trick. Probably even better, slightly excessive communication over the radio helps security know what's going on and what potential threats to watch out for.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?
Make use of the resouces and allies available to you. Having a good selection on sec gear on you is always good, but security gains a lot of strength in numbers that can win them almost any fight - not to mention the AI, who can hear you on the security frequency and has a lot of abilities that can help you, like being able to let you into places, operate computers (including sec records) and track people - either suspects or people you believe may be their victims! Portable flashers help to mitigate greytide rushes into security, marking a criminal as "arrest" makes them easy to spot as well as tripping security scanners and Beepsky, and the PDA can give you some helpful forensic information - wearing gloves that touched a crime scene isn't exactly strong evidence, but if they're also covered in a murder victim's blood and carrying a knife also covered in said blood, there's not a lot of room for excuses.

Oh, and for the love of Shitty Bill, don't run around with your weapons out for no reason. At best, the clown will slip you and space the weapon, and at worst an antagonist will stun you with said weapon, steal everything you have and space you because you slipped on styptic powder.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)

There are so many, but I think the time the HoP started slapping me with a (2nd-place 3rd-place) fish on the shuttle is probably up there. I disarmed him of the fish, grabbed it and started slapping him with it, which resulted in the two of us having an epic fish-slapping duel with the HoP's fish. Eventually the HoP gave up, handed me a medal and let me keep the fish.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

Being solo security, honestly, is less fun for everyone. As the entire security team, I often have to ignore minor crimes that could lead to a funny ticketing or some brief roleplay - there's no time to ticket the chaplain for operating a duck cult without a license when I'm the only one available to investigate major crimes. I also can't afford to be too polite with criminals who are at risk of quickly overpowering me - if I end up in dire trouble, the only backup I'll have is vigilantes. On which note, I will be much more willing to accept vigilantes in the case of dangerous antagonists, and may even work with or deputize them for extreme situations one person simply cannot hope to handle alone. When security has an actual team, I generally won't accept vigilantism except for situations like nuke ops and blob.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Oh energy gun
You are great for zapping crime
Shame the clown took you

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None (I assume I'd know if I was tempbanned in my absence)
Hi yes this nerd was a solid nerd like 6 months to a year ago when they started security and has been a solid nerd through that time to now. Cameron displays a decent enough level of robustness to hold their own in a fight but the strategic thinking and communication to know when and where to take on antags while maintaining a proper amount of back up. Is a lenient and fun officer as well, with no punishments that seemed too harsh to me that I can think of.

Absolutely beret this nerd +1
+1 After I played with them a few times I definitely do not disagree. Something of a good conscious for the more blood thirsty security officers.
good cop i enjoy

+1
Haven't seen as much of you as others, mostly due to timezones, but I trust the judgement of the other HoSes on this app, and we could always do with another Head of Security, not to mention when I have seen you play, I think you'd make a good HoS. +1
Wanted to see them in action before giving the thumbs up.

Cameron got the guts, communicates well and doles out justice fairly. +1
Cameron Phoenix roles with antag gimmicks and doesn't lethal antags when it isn't needed. They also are quite reasonable and even headed. +1

(trying to recommend more)

They got the right temperament for the job
Cam is a good phoenix, just what you want in a Head of Security applicant.
I play SEC lots, Cameron is one of the more competent SEC. One of the few who answer to radio requests.
He will also seek out work instead of waiting, showing great initiative against enemies of the station.
To my annoyance, he also questions and tries to bargain down sentences when I brig someone.
Maybe that quality will keep SEC in line, more so when he has the authority to do it.

I don't feel that he's particularly good at anything. Rather, he's well-balanced.
He knows this and that, these and the other. And he's reliable.
Therefore if he's desiring it, I can support his ambitions.

+1

(Sorry if this was a little mean or blunt, I'd prefer honest and sincere commendations more than positive.)