Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let katanas delimb the person holding them
It was brought to my attention in the discord that katanas are hardcoded to not delimb the person holding them. Please change this

pros: nerfs armstapled katanas, allows for fashionable suicide
cons: literally none
10/10
I think it's important to consider why a conscious design choice is made before a change is made. In this case, it would be more accurate to say there is a con - introducing the possibility of feelbad self-delimbing misclick, which was purposely coded out of possibility - rather than claim there is no con at all. You don't need to agree with a con to list it, but it is a point for people to consider.
As the person who showed this in discord, yes do this jesus fucking christ.
its possible to code it so the limbs only come off when the person triggering the attack is not the katana holder
(04-27-2020, 10:25 AM)saccharineChampion Wrote: I think it's important to consider why a conscious design choice is made before a change is made. In this case, it would be more accurate to say there is a con - introducing the possibility of feelbad self-delimbing misclick, which was purposely coded out of possibility - rather than claim there is no con at all. You don't need to agree with a con to list it, but it is a point for people to consider.

Retweet, this is a terrible idea. Katana should not delimb the user ever. Why is Goon so trigger happy over nerfing everything?

Things were made to be that way for a reason
Nerfing the katana? Really?

Nerf the Csaber further or make blob stronger but this is not at the top of the blatant problems. Hellmixes killing the blob in the first five minutes and Csaber rampages - those are the most BORING rounds. Katana nerds seem to rarely be a problem.

If anything should be changed I'd agree with mbcs input here.
(04-27-2020, 10:50 AM)mbc Wrote: its possible to code it so the limbs only come off when the person triggering the attack is not the katana holder

This would be good
Leaving aside whether or not the katana deserves this (pretty miniscule) nerf, I think that an important thing to keep in mind here is things being consistent. None of the other melee weapons or anything have random rules that mainly seem to come into play when hitting yourself, why should the katana?
If a person replaces their arm with a katana and I know that disarming or pushing a person with an item arm down will make them hit themself, I would assume that they would have a chance to delimb themselves. This being arbitrarily disabled seems very strange to me.
I have considered an explanation which may or may not satisfy you; that the delimbing requires precision, but self-hitting is more like flailing the weapon in your own face.

As for it being inconsistent with other weapons - I'd like to note that actually caring about which limb you're targeting is unique to the katana. I don't think it's too unreasonable to assume that self-hitting a limb effectively makes you self-hit your chest instead, which would have no effect for any other weapon but satisfy why the katana is different.
Something many of the people opposing this are failing to consider is that it is exceedingly rare to accidentally click yourself in combat, I haven't done it and have never seen anyone else do it. Unless you are flailing the mouse around clicking at complete random it basically never happens. Removing the magical anti-self-delimbing check won't lead to a bunch of new players cutting all their limbs off in the middle of a fight, cause even the extremely unrobust know not to click on themselves while holding a weapon.
I'm not sure how this would nerf arm-stapled katanas? Unless you accidentally forget which hand you're using and then lop off a limb.. is that what you're getting at Lord Birb?

As for the idea itself, this would only really be a nerf to katana wielding clowns, who would roll a chance of hitting themselves anyway.

I foresee this an unintended boon for roboticists however. A quick delimbing tool would speed up self surgery quite significantly.

So yes - I'd support this.
(04-28-2020, 11:27 AM)Sundance Wrote: I'm not sure how this would nerf arm-stapled katanas? Unless you accidentally forget which hand you're using and then lop off a limb.. is that what you're getting at Lord Birb?

As for the idea itself, this would only really be a nerf to katana wielding clowns, who would roll a chance of hitting themselves anyway.

Disarming someone who has an armstapled item makes them hit themselves
Whenever somebody disarms you, you're forced to hit yourself with arm-stapled items. Removing the prevention would make it so that getting disarmed while you have a katana arm makes you delimb yourself. Keeping it means you just take the base damage from the katana.
Ahh, my bad I misunderstood.

With that in mind, I'm back squarely on the fence.

Personally, if it was implemented, it'd be good to add a bit of RNG to even the playing field - i.e: Disarming rolls a small chance of the katana wielder delimbing his or herself.

This way someone running up to a katana wielding nut and disarming them might succeed, but 9/10 they'd be sashimi.