Poll: What should we do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Remove cloning active genetic effects
11.76%
2 11.76%
Keep cloning active genetic effects (same as now, tied to advanced genetic analysis)
47.06%
8 47.06%
Make cloning active genetic effects tied to a cloner upgrade module
41.18%
7 41.18%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cloning should not clone mutations that prevent cloning from finishing
Could be solved by making the cloner spit people out after a certain time, or if they spend too long without an upward trend in health.

And if you're stuck in the pod, suiciding usually spits you out as-is. I use it all the time to skip the cloning process and scare the doctors.

... does the cloner still preserve your mutant race with the gene scan thing off?
(04-28-2020, 08:23 PM)Superlagg Wrote: ... does the cloner still preserve your mutant race with the gene scan thing off?

No, and that's my biggest issue, part of the discussion in discord was about keeping mutantrace through cloning, which to a number of people sounded fine. But including any and all active genes to the cloned person seems either too beneficial or too harmful depending on exactly what they had and the scenario.

Say for instance some miner plows through an entire asteroid of cerenkite, notices they're dying and barely makes it to medbay before dying as an irradiating, fat, and word jumbled mess BUT they have like cow on or something. Alternatively, there's some genenerd that makes themself practically unkillable by normal means with resistance to just about anything, but they get shot to death by someone (kinetics obviously because thermal blocks lasers) just inside medbay.

Literally in both of these cases this is imbalanced and in the first isn't fair IMO for keeping a cosmetic spacebux item through death.
I'm not sure what the majority of people want, so I added a poll to this thread! Please vote for all options that'd be okay with you, and I'll do whatever wins by a significant margin. If it's super tied, we can discuss more.

By the way, stable mutagen also copies active genetic effects. Are people more okay with this because generally speaking it's less commonplace, and also a little less debilitating (if you notice yourself starting to change appearance and receiving bad mutations, you can run to medbay and grab mutadone or something, instead of just being forever stuck in the cloner)? I think it also has better gimmick potential since it's more engaging than just being cloned.
Please do not remove stable mutagen mutation copying. For one - I think the changeling works by that regard...transforming into another person and thus also carries their mutations...which can be indeed quite fun or debilitating but makes for interesting interactions and stories.

Also...as you have said yourself...not so common place.
I voted for option 3, as i'd feel it would satisfy all parties here, and personally I really like upgrades to things and would like to see more separate upgrades to things in general (i.e upgrades to guns, surgery tables, manufacturers, etc).

In terms of the actual problem itself - you can add chems to the machine as outlined. What cures genetic issues? Mutadone. So theoretically (I haven't tested this myself), you should just be able to crush a mutadone pill into a machine to resolve this issue.

Failing that, brute force it by swiping your ID on cloning vat. So there's two options doctors have if they just use their noggin.

Some things aren't straightforward. That's good. This isn't a straightforward game.