Poll: What should we do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Remove cloning active genetic effects
11.76%
2 11.76%
Keep cloning active genetic effects (same as now, tied to advanced genetic analysis)
47.06%
8 47.06%
Make cloning active genetic effects tied to a cloner upgrade module
41.18%
7 41.18%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cloning should not clone mutations that prevent cloning from finishing
If you clone someone with Radioactive or Blood Toxification, they will never leave the pod unless they suicide because they keep taking damage.  You can deactivate the genetic scan to safely clone them but basically bricking the pod because someone didn't know that is kind of dumb imo.
Alternatively, why don't we just not have genes get copied to people through cloning by any means at all, because it's just broken and bound to cause a number of balance issues and bugs other than this.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mutantrace cloning part, but the whole keeping all your active genes is too much.
I think you can pop the corpses in the genetics scanner and normalize. Alternatively allow mutadone to be used on corpses if you cant already. Also another solution is to add a power switch to the pod controlled via the terminal. If you pop the power the person comes out, although they need healing

Side note... just add mutadone to the cloning pod to fix this.

Not even as a a coder. Like if you encounter this in game, right now... you can take a pill of mutadone, drop it in a beaker, and empty the beaker into the cloning pod to cure mutations inside the pod
Would it help if the advanced genetic analysis started toggled off?
I agree with Drago, remove keeping mutations in general, and some mutantraces too, such as monkey should probably be blacklisted from being cloned, as their balance is questionable, to say the least.
Nerfing the fun mutations that hard is kinda...meh~

I am open for some changes but straight up removal sounds like the most boring and straightforward action to that.
As Flourish pointed out - disabling the advanced genetic analysis DOES CURRENTLY eliminate said problem for better or worse.

Play smart and not hard.
(04-26-2020, 11:18 AM)vampirate Wrote: Also another solution is to add a power switch to the pod controlled via the terminal.
I know you can swipe your (medical) ID on the clone pod to unlock it after a certain point. I don't know if the unlocking code actually lets you eject the person, but I would hope so, and that would be another way of "fixing" this.
I have on more than one occasion let someone out early.

Usually because I was a traitor and an objective was to make sure the person in question stayed dead.

It works like the gene pod more or less, but it does require medical access as mentioned by Mordent.
I made advanced genetic analysis start toggled off. I haven't done anything else because the consensus seems to be mixed, but I'm open to further thoughts + changes.
*gasp*

Oh no, a unique situation that requires some supervision of the cloning vat.

Oh no, medical doctors have to actually use some deduction, something that MD mains actually crave, oh nooo.

Sarcasm aside - I think this should be a feature.
(04-28-2020, 11:32 AM)Sundance Wrote: *gasp*

Oh no, a unique situation that requires some supervision of the cloning vat.

Oh no, medical doctors have to actually use some deduction, something that MD mains actually crave, oh nooo.

Sarcasm aside - I think this should be a feature.

There is no way to tell if someone has Blood Toxification short of stuffing them in the gene scanner (which doctors don't have access to), hoping that Blood Toxification has been researched (it's not very common to find in DNA), and hoping that whatever gave the stiff Blood Toxification didn't give them so many genes that it's impossible to see all the ones they have.  It's a functionally undetectable method of bricking cloning for however long it takes for a bunch of very busy people who aren't timing things to notice that that particular cloning hasn't finished.  Unless they're constantly monitoring the cloner they're going to assume that a particularly long cloning session is going to be a new one.

For what it's worth, the doctor mains I talked to didn't like the idea of cloning mutations, full stop.
I am unaware of the specifics - what concerncs damage that is being dealt by BLOOD TOXIFICATION - but can you not simply counter it by pouring characoal inside the cloning vat? Countering it with chem beakers? I for one like situations where I have to think as a Medical Doctor and cannot simply spam - Burn, Brute, Characoal and Salbutamol.

I mean this would probably be a case where these exact chemicals solve the problem - but it is uncommon and thus...quite engaging.
I think this could be a blessing in disguise; encourages you to consider buffing up the cloner by adding extra healing chems to the pod. can you add chems while the machine is already cloning?
Yes you can, Urs. If memory serves, it immediately injects it into the person cloning.
Always remember dear docs! When the shuttle is coming - get your chems into the cloner so the clone will not miss out on dying on the way to CentComm inside the shuttle! smile

Perhaps - one thing should be added to hinder confusion? Health-Scanning the pod while such a loop or damaging effect is occuring should perhaps print out a general hint to the doctors - so that they can adjust accordingly and pour beakers of chems in there.

Something along the lines of,...

"The cloning process seems to be hindered by an unstable DNA sequence. Recommended action: Deliver additional chems inside the cloning vat to increase chance of survival."

Just printing some general text like this - once any type of damage dealing is occuring inside the cloning vat?