Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Make Wizard Hats Acid Resistant
or at least take more than one glass of acid to break.  People (Camryn) can pretty much end a wizard's round instantly with acid glasses.    Plus it penetrates shields.    Wizard's should probably not have to build around certain players (Camryn) in order to have a round :p

Just did a wizard round and if I hadn't had soulguard I'd have been done a few minutes in.  Given that certain people (Camryn) will do this the moment there's a wizard, it'd probably be healthy gameplay to prevent one glass from instantly ending a wizman's round

Even a laser gun can't do that as well

To preempt complaints, I had a good thirty minute wizman run, so I'm not mad about mine, but I also selected my spells knowing Camryn was playing and so offensively only took one spell.
In comparison to blobs - wizards are realatively safe from powernerds but still I see reason in this complain. That acid goes through the wizards shield seems nonsensical.

That should probably change.
Perhaps they shouldn't go through spell shield, but there is absolutely a lot of counters to acidglasses believe it or not, like moving around, or stunning them with spells, or carrying like two boxes full of hats to name a few of the easy and most common ones.
But I think the Cthulhu staff should at least be a bit more acid resistant than any normal staff.

It really sucks once your main weapon is gone through just one click.

Hats and robes and sandels can be hidden plenty before any of them are lost. Cthulhu staff is once in a lifetime.
Problem with bringing extra hats is usually acid is mixed with something else or they can stun you while you try to put one on and you got no real escape. Any other time you have the option to phase out. Another option would be allowing people with missing hats to cast a weaker version of the spell as long as they're holding a staff.

Making spell negation require two components missing. Meaning if you have a hat and robe, you can cast, if you have a hat and staff, you can cast, if you have just a robe and staff, you can cast. (the weaker versions) This lets the Wizman stay in play. No reason to remove all the wizman's spells that take people out of play instantly and then let people have easy things that take the Wizman outta play instantly. People can almost always throw a glass before the stun reaches em.
Maybe we should look into some changes in the various acids and other on touch chems on how they work on surfaces?

Right now its its pretty much get spalshed, roll for effects and damage

What if it was a bit more like being on fire, where the effects on players and the environment was more dependent on exposure time.

This could give wizards and others time to react to splashes and chem spills by washing them off or neutralizing them some other way
As someone who would steamroll the crew when wiznerd only to be hard-countered by a shotglass: I very much agree.

The changes over time to security and combat clearly puts an emphasis on soft-counters, i.e: X to combat Y but Y can still put up a fight against X if they're using Z.

What this creates is a far more engaging fight. People start to fight smart and the ensuing struggle is entertaining for both parties.

Hard-counters such as acid is not something that we should encourage. It's lame and boring. The option to put on another hat isn't much use, as vampirate pointed out, when the assailant has already put in another poison there.

What this hard-counter actually forces is wizards to choose the Teleport spell, which will get them out of dodge. This is also lame.

Frank is on the money. Acids should melt items over time instead of instantaneous, with an obvious message. So a wizard who's been glassed will see that he's in trouble and have time to react.

I'm of the opinion that Wizard needs far more defensive spells while its offensive spells are dialed back a notch, so wizards aren't glass cannons and more of a slow but dangerous burn. That's a topic for another thread.
I really like the idea of acid being overtime. Makes sense too
As someone who could literally wipe out the entire crew if it weren't for acid, I don't agree with this. Since the taser point blank was removed, you can't even tase a wizard repeatedly to knock them out and try to remove the hat. There is no way to counter a wizard, other than acid, and thats easily countered through the use of a spare hat. Its fine as is, although maybe make it only work on shield wizards if applied by hand, rather than a thrown glass.
Trustworthy? Like...I managed tase people close range yesterday. When was it removed? Two hours ago?

(04-27-2020, 07:19 AM)Trustworthy Wrote: As someone who could literally wipe out the entire crew if it weren't for acid, I don't agree with this. Since the taser point blank was removed, you can't even tase a wizard repeatedly to knock them out and try to remove the hat. There is no way to counter a wizard, other than acid, and thats easily countered through the use of a spare hat. Its fine as is, although maybe make it only work on shield wizards if applied by hand, rather than a thrown glass.

Acid destruction on wizard items - should need to fill an interaction bar.

Acid destruction on wizard Cthulhu staff should take some more effort like weakening the staff by acid first and then burning it or whatnot.
Perhaps the weaker version loses some of its power - but getting it destroyed instantly kinda ruins your wizard offense for the most part.
It works, but it no longer instantly stuns, as of Tarm's nonlethal change patch, at least, I think so. Was it changed since I went on break?

As for SoC, thats just a waste of a point, unless you also take empower, and not because of how easy it is to break,but because its a whole spell point for a staff that just does some more damage, and also brain damage at times. Its only viable if you take empower with it, because of the increased range and damage.
You can change the taser so it fires 3 shots at once instead of just one.

With that in mind, it is possible to down a wizard instantly, but you get less tries to do so.
(04-27-2020, 07:19 AM)Trustworthy Wrote: As someone who could literally wipe out the entire crew if it weren't for acid, I don't agree with this. Since the taser point blank was removed, you can't even tase a wizard repeatedly to knock them out and try to remove the hat. There is no way to counter a wizard, other than acid, and thats easily countered through the use of a spare hat. Its fine as is, although maybe make it only work on shield wizards if applied by hand, rather than a thrown glass.

So... a couple things. Using the second hat doesn't work cause you get instantly downed after, and it goes through shields. Also, balancing anything against the most extreme end of skill means anything below that has a bad time. If acid is "the only thing keeping wizards from dominating" then that's bad design that should be changed.
Wanna reemphasize Sundances point about soft counters versus hard counters. Balances should be made both ways
Strongly disagree with this, items that handcheck rampagers are good. You know how hard it is to land one of those perfectly?

Let’s not nerf things over one player, this is getting ridiculous. Wizard hats being susceptible to acid’s kind of the whole point of needing the hat to be effective. It makes being a wizard (far and away the most overpowered antagonist) more challenging.