Mark(Nstein)'s Mentor Application
Usual character name: Mark Butter
BYOND username: MarkNstein
Discord username: 
Mark™#0001
Recommended by: Rybek, SaccharineChampion (Connie, seems to have left the discord?)
Goon servers you play: Both

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
Reason: I generally enjoy learning and teaching. It can help add variety to starting the T.E.G. for the fiftieth time. I also spend a lot of time on Discord, and have tried to help others there as I can, though being in-game is much more effective. I'd also appreciate being able to read mentorhelps in areas I'm not versed in. Lastly, on the rare occasions Mark B. is un-robust and dies before shuttle call, I wouldn't mind using the mentor mouse to help whisper to others.

Game Experience: Started playing in Oct-2019 I think. Picked up engineering pretty quickly thanks to the Wiki and some helpful players. Since then I tend to target a department or job and dive into it. I'd say I have a good handle on: doctoring (medchems, wiki-surgery), robotics, telesci (though that's hard to explain OOG), engine-ering, mechanist (de/construct, DWAINE, mechcomp), mining, QM, and to a lesser extent: chef.
I spend most shifts in the engineering department, and always useful tip I pass on to newbies is: Grab a belt, wear it, then with blue toolbox in-hand, click the belt.   —   Gets a positive reaction every time.   That and telling Oshan engineers to ALWAYS bring a named GPS with them whenever they leave the station.
Additionally, I've spent a decent amount of time on GoonRP, and can easily separate OOC/Mentorhelp information from affecting my play. I play for the station's fun, not to powergame.

Previous bans: None.
I can confirm my recommendation. Mark's consistently positive and helpful interactions both ingame and out are perfect for a trusted group like the mentors, and I have no doubt that the mentor tools would be a natural extension of the help he already gives to people looking for answers.

I specifically remember noticing his times as a CE, and even though it's been quite a long time since I've been around and able to see his teaching myself, I never have had any doubt that the engineers are in anything less than good hands during such rounds.

As for the most important mentor trait, trustworthiness - I can recall a specific round on g2 in which, despite making myself out to be a spooky threat, he went along with the roleplaying I was doing, resulting in a very memorable shift. This speaks to the stated lack of interest in powergaming. On top of the earlier mentioned eagerness and positivity in helping people, I have no doubt Mark would keep mentorhelp and personal gameplay wholly separate.

A definite +1 from me.
+1 We could do with a dedicated packets nerd.
Never had a bad experience with Mark Butter in game, and he's a positive presence on the discord. Knows his stuff, too. +1 from me
Mark knows his shit, and is a cool guy, who should definitely be purped. We need more purple DWAINE nerds. +1 for this nerd
Mark is a very knowledgeable nerd and I think they would make excellent for filling a particular gap of engineering and mechcomp knowledge that is often empty on RP.

+1
I'm putting in Yes. While Mark does indeed know a lot about packets, MechComp, and engineering as others have said, the part of Mark that to me that makes him for magnificient for Mentor is that his has the perfect personality for helping out newbies. He's friendly and patient, and I've never seen him get mad at someone for not knowing something or taking a while to understand something. Perfect guy for those newbies are scared everyone will judge them because they don't know how to switch hands or aren't the perfect engineer or whatever. Personally, I don't know about anyone else, but he extrudes an aura of sincerity and genuineness that I find hard to describe; the best word I have for it "avuncular".

Plus, the notes we admins have on him are pretty good (one of them made me and other admins do a double-take, but because it was weird and honestly kinda funny, not heinous), and I have no reason to suspect he'll metagame with info from mentorhelp. Quite the opposite really.
Mark gets things done in an efficient and robust manner, and takes the nonlethal route when he doesn't have to. Every time I've interacted with him I've been impressed at his sheer competence and likeable demeanor. I usually don't endorse people, which I should more, but everything about them as HoS makes a round better.

He's helpful, and he gives a lot of good faith in a game where no one seems to want to trust anyone.

Im a dumb dumb I said HoS instead of mentor
I recognize your name and don't instantly think "oh screw this dumb nerd" so +1
+1 to Mark, very patient and very informative.
I haven't interacted with you tons and tons, but you seem like a good guy with a good attitude. +1
Oh boy, I haven't looked into this forum in a while. :sheltersweat:
I vote yes, Mark is fine and knows his stuff.