Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Remove pathology until it's balanced.
(04-23-2020, 07:06 AM)Mouse Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:48 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Yeah, metaneural haze, pseudonecrosis and skeleton stuff should really be marked as harmful. There is precedent for this too with ethanol production.
As for SMES, it is beneficial the vast majority of times, so that is just sort of "sucks to be you, cyberperson", imo.

The problem is less cyberhearts and more that it prevents defibs from working, and they're the only way to fix a stopped heart so.

Ok, I was gonna say you can also cure cardiac arrest with atropine and epinephrine, but I just looked at the code and apparently the chance for that per attempt is 0.1% for epineprhine and 0.01 percent for atropine? Which seems pretty darn useless.

In principle I wouldn't be opposed to just removing SMES human from the pathogen for simplicities sake, but the issue with that is that classifying it as a bad mutation also governs other stuff.
Mainly it would make it so the text when obtaining SMES human is red and also you would be more likely to get it from radiation. Which isn't that bad in principle, but it would be unclean. The best way would probably be to introduce a blacklist for mutations that is only checked in the pathology symptom to remove edge cases like SMES human.

EDIT: I've been kinda convinced that removing SMES human would be a good idea. Really, I just want to be able to make a pathogen with it without *someone* always complaining about *something*. So let's just take out everything that could conceivably be bad in any way sort or form, I guess.
(04-23-2020, 08:03 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 07:06 AM)Mouse Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 09:48 AM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Yeah, metaneural haze, pseudonecrosis and skeleton stuff should really be marked as harmful. There is precedent for this too with ethanol production.
As for SMES, it is beneficial the vast majority of times, so that is just sort of "sucks to be you, cyberperson", imo.

The problem is less cyberhearts and more that it prevents defibs from working, and they're the only way to fix a stopped heart so.

Ok, I was gonna say you can also cure cardiac arrest with atropine and epinephrine, but I just looked at the code and apparently the chance for that per attempt is 0.1% for epineprhine and 0.01 percent for atropine? Which seems pretty darn useless.

In principle I wouldn't be opposed to just removing SMES human from the pathogen for simplicities sake, but the issue with that is that classifying it as a bad mutation also governs other stuff.
Mainly it would make it so the text when obtaining SMES human is red and also you would be more likely to get it from radiation. Which isn't that bad in principle, but it would be unclean. The best way would probably be to introduce a blacklist for mutations that is only checked in the pathology symptom to remove edge cases like SMES human.

EDIT: I've been kinda convinced that removing SMES human would be a good idea. Really, I just want to be able to make a pathogen with it without *someone* always complaining about *something*. So let's just take out everything that could conceivably be bad in any way sort or form, I guess.

Up until your edit I was on boat...but the idea that removing everything that might make a person unhappy when receiving a pathogen be it positive or negative will in the end lead to pretty bland and boring pathogens - if said thought is followed through.

If SMES Human is a mutation - I do not see a reason for it to be in the pathogen pool...but......to my understanding there are quite a load of mutations which cannot simply be gained from genetics and are just random straws of luck during mutation poisons and radstorms. Why not put those rare mutations into the pathogen pool? At least we would see some interesting mash-ups. Perhaps even a random-mutation sympton or one that switches the mutation around after some time and continues to do so to keep the player on edge.
The mutation pathogens just use the function that gives random mutations, with the beneficial one using the variant that only picks from ones that have isBad=0.
Pretty sure that function does not give mutations that do not occur in genepools, unlike stuff like mutini (which picks from things that have the acceptable_in_mutini flag).

I'd definitely be up for adding some stuff that is normally not gotten via genetics to the pathogen symptom, it sounds fun. /shrug

As for the other stuff you said, there are two other symptoms that give random mutations. The whole point of the beneficial mutations symptom is that it's not supposed to fuck you over at all, that's why it adds stabilizer to everything and stuff. If you make things have drawbacks that are not incredibly minor, people will always complain when you make a pathogen with it, no matter if it's much more beneficial than harmful.

And tbh I am just sick of it, I want to make beneficial pathogens.
I can't put in sunglass glands because it pushes off goggles.
I can't put in beneficial mutations because it can give some annoying stuff.
I can't put in oxygen farts because it pushes people around.
I can't put in normal snapping because it has a small chance to cause some brute damage.
I can't put in bees because they lag the server to death and/or murder anyone that accidentally clicks a bee.
I just want some beneficial symptoms that are not a monkey's paw and that are more interesting than just occasional healing.
/rant over
@zjdtmkhzt

Just going on a mind-streak here:

Warped occipital lobe - Contrary to your ordinary LSD hallucinations it might switch the sprites of two players on the station with each other for a brief time. It also makes you see strange graffiti and friendly critters on the station (Think a happy but confusing trip)

Spooked-Legs - Occasionally your legs start rushing like from a will of their own. You start sprinting for a few seconds without spending stamina but it happens randomly and thus might be a tad inonvient while being an overhaul positive effect (should you want to escape somebody)

Crayon-Fingers - You no longer need a pen to write on pieces of paper and writing on something will choose a random crayon color. To not annoy the hell out of people you can also write on the floor and use the crayon interaction menu BUT it has to be done by right-clicking on a tile first and select a new interaction point (e.g. Finger-Scribble) [NOW EVERYBODY CAN BE A CRAYON CLOWN]

Squeaky-Feet - Unless you got some sturdy shoework like mag-boots your feet will imitate the sound of a pair of clown shoes.

Could probably post some more...but I just wanna drive home the fact that you cannot put in something that is interesting while still being JUST positive. Surely one could find it annoying to misclick on a piece of paper with their fingers and not the pen and now the text is all colorful (but that is what makes it fun in the first place) . Try to cut down on the REALLY NEGATIVE effects and add some cheeky twist.
Hmm, it's not that I personally mind drawbacks, it's just that in my experience the hallucinations would get people on my case immediately and the spookd-legs would cause someone to run into the crusher or something within 20 minutes.
If you want to find the quickest way to kill yourself with a random effect, just make a pathogen with it and someone will find it immediately. >.>
They do sound like fun ideas though, if you got more where that came from, do send me a message on Discord or post it in the beneficial symptom thread we had a while back, please. ^_^

Something that I've been thinking about would be a t5 that "imprinted" on a random mutation from the first person that gets it (basically Patient Zero). It would then give that mutation to every person it infects (and apply more chromosomes to it as it increases in stage. You could use that for good or for evil (or for incredible stupidity).
Basically, I want something that is kind of not the same every round, once you've seen one gibbing round you've seen em all. But by interfacing with a system like genetics, you can get lots of variety into it.

Basically, you could give everyone on station laser eyes or thermal resistance if you cooperate with genetics, or you could make everyone mute or fat if you are an antagonist. It might improve cooperation in the medbay too, which would probably make the pathology department feel like less of a mysterious cave and more like a part of the medbay, which would be nice.
(04-22-2020, 06:43 AM)Mouse Wrote: ... Skeleton makes you uncloneable unless they use genetics to turn you human (and the necroscan doesn't work iirc) ...

necroscan works for skeletons
(or at the very least used to)
Skeleton genetics, not "decayed into a skeleton".
Honestly, I don't know why the mutantrace skeleton even prevents scanning, seeing as the lore explanation for it is that your tissue is compressed into your bones. Your tissue is still there in your bones, so you should still be able to scan it, unlike rotten people.
congratulations