Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas for more breakable things thread !!
Hi, I think that more items should be breakable through repeated brute force. I think that when stuff that could ordinarily be broken by physical force isn't, it makes it feel like a static invincible game-y object instead of what it's Supposed To Be. I also think it'd be, in the long run, a good way to add more things for antagonists to target that isn't people (And more ways to go about it and choice in the matter than just Bombs and Bombs Only!). Also also helps with construction sometimes, when people wanna remove stuff to build their projects.

Thus, I'm making Pull Requests on Github that add destructibility to various things in the game. Currently I've done one, which added breaking chemical dispensers, ATMs and shrubs. The PR is here: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/303 , it's been merged and is In The Game.

Please suggest other things that should be breakable and special aspects of them being breakable here in this thread, thanks!

Some ideas I have so far:

Firelocks: Maybe about as long as doors take to break? Or like a lot less?

Computers: Could take glass or some light tool use to repair instead of being fully breakable with just physical force?

APCs: Could break minorly from repeated smacking, and then require like a screwdriver or something to restore functionality?

Phones: Already breakable, but need better visual feedback and maybe a hit delay (with less health to compensate) to feel better I think
Breakable firelocks would be a godsend. Especially if you could damage them with your fists.

As for ideas, as long as construction workers can make blast doors blast doors should be breakable.

A dumb idea would be a breakable crusher, but anything you hit it with gets eaten so it takes forever.

Fire alarms and intercoms? I know you can disconnect them but it seems like smashing them should work as well.
As you make further pull requests for breakable things, could you post them in this thread? I think getting them all together like so would greatly help people notice and discuss them. I'm aware github has its own discussion zones, but the related nature of such pulls as well as the fact several of them would likely warrant no comments not already given to the others would mean it'd benefit greatly from a central thread.

As for your particular examples -

Firelock: I've personally always interpreted them as being a bit flimsy, at least compared to doors. I think it should take a lot less time.

Computers: The main two reasons to break a computer, afaik, would be to disable them and to be able to move past them. I think it'd be best to have two such grades of destruction, the latter taking much longer and resulting in a pile of parts that were in the computer.

APCs: Unlike computers, they don't act as an obstruction, so just being able to break it minorly instead of being able to outright destroy it seems ideal.

Phones: Definitely need visual feedback and hit delay, particularly the latter; no hit delay usually communicates "this thing won't break", like when you barehanded hit a wall a lot. It's also much more chat-spammy.

A few others I have in mind -

Dispensers: Would ideally have the two-stage destruction like I proposed for computers. It'd be easy enough to break apart the nozzles and whatnot and require a wrench to fix, while much more (door-breaking-level) work to get through one actually blocking your way.

TVs: I'm actually not sure if these count as computers already, but if not, again, similar to computers - a bit of breaking smashes in the screen, requiring glass (and wires?) to fix, while much more effort could fully get it out of the way.

Tables: Would likely have a flat damage reduction, much like borgs do, but I think it'd be nice to be able to break a table by using harm intent and smacking it a lot with a weapon that deals enough damage to deal nonzero amounts after the reduction. It'd need lots of health to not invalidate the current toolset, and of course, reinforced tables would have much more health - maybe an amount comparable to plasmaglass.
I kinda think tools should break, to a degree.

Bashing or stabbing someone with something that isn't supposed to be used to bash or stab someone should bend, dent, or dull them.

This shouldn't make them unusable, but it should make them worse at their intended function, and maybe make them do a little less damage

I think this would
1. Make actual weapons more valuable as something that can't be damaged this way
2. Give QM and Mining more purpose as they replace or even repair damaged tools
3. Creates more forensic evidence for Sec to follow up on if they find damaged tools
Make those TV's breakable or deconstructable.
There's some wierd consoles that are really outdated that don't really do much and are completely unbreakable like the general alerts computer in Market on Cog1 or the stock exchange comps as well.
Same for those credit transfer units, no way to get rid of those.
Firelocks already break! People just rarely try and do so. As for things that should be breakable, windoors. pls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2XlmYH-mA