Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HoS axe HoS axe HoS axe HoS axe
[Image: 2gXxgSY.png]

(Polivilas was kind enough to give me a "foundation" to use for in-hands as I was really struggling at the the time. I've edited it a fair bit since, but I wanted to make his very helpful contribution known.)

[Image: tY2iE0S.png]                      [Image: PmwxQMe.png]

Hello. If you've spent some time on the discord, you've probably seen me rambling about this for the past week or so. Maybe longer? I've got no idea how long I've been working on this for. But it's finally done and I'm ready to present. 

Anyway, the concept of this is to supply a "flex" melee weapon to the HoS, much like the captain/commander's saber.

For clarifications sake, the RED ENERGY BLADE is when the STUN is turned ON.
White is when it's off - usual lethal mode.

Pros: 
  • Higher melee damage than the saber
  • Ability to toggle between lethal/stun, much like a baton
  • Self rechargeable. Kind of self explanatory, this thing won't fit in a recharger.
  • Potential limb cleaving?
  • Have been toying with the idea of decapitation being a possibility if a really specific condition is met, i.e. something to do regarding executing a criminal
Cons:
  • The lawgiver MUST be traded in for it, via job menu. You won't be able to have both at once.
  • 100-150 capacity cell. It'll be lower than a standard baton. Gotta settle on a number.
  • Does NOT fit in the backpack. This bad boy WILL take up your backpack slot, as it is a MASSIVE AXE.
I think this would be a nifty little(?) thing to add, and it is very much inspired by Flaborized's sabers. Let me know if you have any thoughts on the suggestions regarding pros/cons that I've given, or if you have any additions. None of the codework has been done for this, so it's all still very much up in the air - but the sprites are finished, aside from the back-equip. But that shouldn't be too hard.
I'd love having a massive battleaxe but I think this is out of place for a HoS' or any other job's thing.

The captain's sabre is grounded in reality as a ceremonial/ornamental part of an uniform, this seems a tad too crazy in comparison.
Yeah, I understand. It's definitely a very wild thing to suggest for security - the idea that spawned it was that the HoS is regarded as the judge, jury and executioner when it comes to making decisions regarding criminals. I wanted to give them something that empowered that role and really drove home the concept of them being intimidating to criminals.
A couple critiques of the sprites that are mostly based on giving out information visually:

I think that on it's off state, the axe doesn't really "give off" that it's an energy weapon that you can switch to a different mode imo.

The nonlethal mode looks a lot more threatening and lethal to me, I think cuz it's blood red and all menacing looking. If I saw an HoS running up to me with that, I'd assume it's on Lethal Mode based on first impressions. (Though obviously this could be learned through play). This is a preference thing, but I'd like it if the lethal mode was more deadly dangerous looking than the stun mode

Also it looks like bits of the stun-glow-y parts are cut off, like they hit the edge of the 32x32 space and had to be smaller. That looks fine in the frame but I feel it'd be noticeable in-game. Not sure how to fix this easily, could either make the glow smaller or the handle shorter I guess? Either of those is sorta a compromise though.

I like the idea though! Having a big weapon on your back instead of a backpack is cool gameplay and something that would be cool to integrate into a station job. A genuine reason to play without a bag, eh?
I'll give a go at making the glow smaller. In terms of colouring.. Perhaps the good ol' stun baton orange might be a little bit more forward?
Or make the red mode the lethal mode, and make the regular mode a more orange-y yellow.
[Image: C9PoQJX.png] 

(Stun)

[Image: 6imZYdF.png]

(Lethal)

Like this, Ley?
Not a big fan of the dreamsicle orange for the stun color
(04-19-2020, 01:00 AM)Gerhazo Wrote: I'd love having a massive battleaxe but I think this is out of place for a HoS' or any other job's thing.

The captain's sabre is grounded in reality as a ceremonial/ornamental part of an uniform, this seems a tad too crazy in comparison.

I agree. This seems much more appropriate as a Syndicate weapon
(04-19-2020, 07:20 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: Not a big fan of the dreamsicle orange for the stun color

Hm, I tried to keep it unified with the orange of the stun baton, but I guess it didn't really translate across that well. I'll play with it a bit more.
As it turns out we were beating crimers with creamsicles all along.

As for the whole "this doesn't fit" thing, it kinda doesn't that's true but this also won't be really frequently seen. Variety is the spice of SS13, might as well let people who have played Sec to the bone have a more difficult option than egun/lawgiver.
sound more like an admeme spawn item rather than something that should be an obtainable item in the game.
I agree with it not really fitting the HoS, and I think the mention of it looking more like an admin spawn hits the nail on the head. Although I do think it could make for a neat nukie weapon - it looks very large and in charge, and honestly it feels like making it very powerful but antag-only (or even nukie only) is the only way it could be done justice statwise - something with those looks should absolutely butcher people.
#if ASS_JAM