Poll: What should we do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Remove the whitelist and keep the clown apps for fun (but anyone can play clown)
64.71%
22 64.71%
Keep the clown apps and whitelist (so only approved apps can play clown)
2.94%
1 2.94%
Remove the whitelist and retire the clown apps (so anyone can play clown)
32.35%
11 32.35%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Keep clown apps + whitelist?
The clown apps and whitelist were intended as an April Fool's joke but I was lazy and didn't remove them. Some players have expressed their appreciation of this new system while others aren't a fan. So, the question is, what should we do? Please vote, thank you.
Clown apps are currently hiding the hos/mentor apps which is a bit unfortunate for them.
I think it's good, cause most everyone gets accepted, but clown gets a little leeway to be a jerk so it's nice not having Marlon Rando getting instant access

Plus, it's a fun lil perk of the system that it generates some occasionally hilarious posts. Can't hate that
To elaborate, if clown apps remain open, but the whitelist is removed, the incentive to submit one would be based on the medal and whatever accompanying reward we think up for it. I personally think that's cute and good.

(04-16-2020, 06:57 PM)Leeanei Wrote: Clown apps are currently hiding the hos/mentor apps which is a bit unfortunate for them.

That's a good point that I haven't thought of. I don't think the value of some silly fun outweighs actual serious applications, so I'm gonna think on that.
I'm strongly for removing clownapps for the aforementioned hiding of regular apps. From the time the clownapps were first rolled out I was concerned about such, especially since somebody recently put up a mentorapp. I believe a fair amount of mentorapp traffic is people noticing the most recently commented app's attached username and the reader thinking, oh, I know them decently well, they'd be good, and checking it out. The high number of "yes +1" style comments on mentorapps brings me to particularly believe so.

As for requiring people to post a clown app to play clown, in my experience, it's easy to be intimidated by stepping out of the game onto the forums, especially as a new player. I also observe that most of the most memorable clownings I have seen have been one-off people I don't recognize the ckey of - and that requiring apps hurts the existence of fantastic one-off players who may not want to dive into areas outside of game to become eligible to play clown, of all things.
I think clown apps were a nice silly idea for Aprils Fools because of how absurd it was but keeping them open one way or another just seems a bit pointless.

I think putting an actual whitelist for clowns would be a detriment to gameplay since you're in general just blocking people from playing whatever / howevery they want to. Also, even if you do keep the apps without the whitelist, I think it would only lead to people dropping low quality apps in return for a shiny medal (hell, I didnt even know there was a medal for it when I was writing my app, I was doing it for fun).

If there's a need / want to archive the applications then maybe put them somewhere on the Wiki in the community section. I think keeping the whitelist and / or the apps would be a pretty bad idea.
I like the idea of clown applications, but also allowing new/non-forum players to play clown - would there be a way to use the whitelist to just give a few small reward items to approved clowns? Maybe whitelisted clowns get to start with the Diploma & Motarboard, perhaps a free can of canned laughter, and standard clowns don't?

Clown apps hiding 'real' ones is a bit bad, but could the sub-forum just be moved under "General Discussions" instead of "HoS and Mentor Applications" to fix that?
I'm missing the 4th option: Close the clown apps and keep the whitelist.
I personally approve of the idea of removing the whitelist but keeping the applications forum open, and adding a clown-only cosmetic item for people who have been approved. A clowning certificate or something
As long as the clown college graduates get to keep their degrees I'm all for removing the whitelist.
Good points everyone. I think the main issue with keeping clown apps was the fact that they'd obscure HoS and mentor apps, which I agree is bad. So, I've moved the subforum to the general section. I know it's a sorta awkward (and funny) place, but I think that works for now? I'll remove the whitelist stuff later today and probably move the diploma and graduation cap to the medal reward? Basically everything Clean Your Teeth suggested bee

Urs also suggested this:

[Image: Screenshot_20200416-234724_Discord.jpg]

If you have other suggestions, let me know!
Only a clown can sire a clown
The whitelist has been removed and the diploma + graduation cap have been moved to the medal reward. If you don't have the medal you can still post an app to receive it. I'm also taking suggestions for ingame ways to unlock it, leaning towards something similar to what Urs suggested.