Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
Disable Telesci's ability to summon AI
Got subverted last round I played and the RD just walked over summoned me out.  He was nice enough to not kill me but that's a real bummer since it's a zero effort way to stop an AI subversion.   Not for nothing but the AI is surrounded by guns to make breaking in difficult, being able to just immediately pop in the same coordinates on any given map and shut it down is a bit much.
Isn't the AI bolted down and needs to be unscrewed first?
I got beamed out a few rounds back as is(unless I just didn't seem them unscrewing), but even so its not difficult to beam in, unbolt, and beam out while protected by the glass
making that lil 3x3 square telesci immune would fix it while still letting people try to override the stun with chems. (if they wanted to try and break in and steal the ai using telesci)
The AI has a lot of ways to shut down telesci pretty effortlessly, including messing with the console, turning the telesci room APC off, cutting power to the mainframe, using an ai-eye to cut wires to research, or deleting the necessary software (with a bit of DWANIEry).

I'm certain the core does need to be unscrewed first, and if you notice someone standing on your core just banging you to pieces the console is likely targeted there and recalling should zap the person back to telesci while you deal with it properly.

I've used the fact you can teleport on those square as an AI to move my core about the station / stick it on a mulebot or whatever, and I think it'd be a shame to remove that ability.
The AI has shells, and the ability to combat telesci is countered by the easy ability to bring it back up. Also that's not readily available knowledge to a lot of AI players early on. You could make a toggle the ai can turn on and off hell even a button in the room
I dunno, this seems like it's making a mountain out of a mole hill. The AI has plenty of things it can do specifically to counter this, including shutting down its power and, if someone gave it a borg shell, straight up stealing the battery to power it.

Being able to do it reliably in the first place requires some effort, so it seems kind of silly for such a counter to it when there's a few solutions already.
Well... where is it written that every suggestion has to be a major need or overhaul?
Personally, when I play AI I really enjoy visiting the different departments to give them a friendly greeting/tell them to work harder as an AI. It's really to fun to teleport yourself near people suddenly, and I would really miss having that ability.
In none of my rounds have I ever been attacked in that manner, so this seems a little unneeded to me. In addition, telesci access is something that is not too common among station personnel, really only Scientists (and heads) usually have access to telesci. It needs calibration first to, so I feel like it's fine for it to be a powerful tool for traitors.
Finally, most traitors with telesci access will probably just rogue the AI rather than teleport on top of it. Both require teleporting yourself in and causing turret noises, possibly alerting crew. (Because the AI *does* need to be unscrewed first).

TLDR: I feel like this just impedes fun AI theft shenanigans and AIs planning fun trips for themselves. It does not stop AI killing, seeing as you could just give it a suicide law or a law to not do anything instead. Stopping that would require making the entire AI upload a teleblocked zone, and I don't think it would be a very fun change.