Rico's Head of Security Application
Usual character name: Rico Geravo
BYOND username: Mopcat
Recommended by (if applicable): OMJenkins, Drago156
Goon servers you play: Goon2 (Non-RP)

Reason for application: I play Sec a fair bit and always end up trying to coordinate Sec whenever I play Sec/Cap and there's no HoS around to do that already. I'm fairly confident in my own abilities and have caught my fair share of criminals, aliens, clowns, and greytiders alike. I'm well versed in most of the game's mechanics, with the exception of the engine. It is a mystery that will forever elude me, but I doubt I'll need to know it while wrangling cops and tickling the Clown with the Lawgiver. The most I'd need to know as Sec is my enemy, and I know my enemy well. I know the signs of a Changeling or Vampire on board, I can tell the difference between genuine Syndicate contraband and something some nerd pulled from an adventure zone, and most importantly, I can tell the difference between a migraine and the headache most people get when dealing with playermonkies. With all this on my belt, I feel like it's time for me to step it up a notch and be the Head of Security the station neither wants nor deserves and die alone in a maint tunnel chasing a lone assistant because I am the law god damn it

Security experience (300 word minimum):
Security is a role I play fairly frequently, and the one I usually take the most seriously. To me, it's the most important role on the station and can be one of the most fulfilling, too. I at the very least know how to swing a stun baton without pulverizing my crotch region, which is more than what could be said of a surprising amount of Security these days. In all seriousness, though, Sec is a job I genuinely enjoy playing from time to time. Not only do I get to fight crime and save Medbay from being TTV'd for the third god damn shift in a row, but it's also one of the most social roles in the game. It's the only station role where you really feel like part of a team every time you play it (unless you're alone, in which case you must wage a one-man war against crime itself as a concept, which can be fun sometimes). It's a job that encourages (and more often than not requires) the most communication both inter-department and with the crew as a whole. I frequently ask over Sec radio the status of my fellow officers, what noteworthy events they've overheard or witnessed, potential station threats, etc. After all, a Sec team that stays in touch is a Sec team with less of a chance of joining a Changeling's hivemind or whatever horrible fate may befall them.

To me, Security isn't about winning nor is it an excuse to powergame. Nothing pisses me off more than the kind of officer who gives a mindless serial killer a slap on the wrist while bringing down the iron fist over gimmick antags and staffies being slightly annoying dipshits, and there's no officer I respect less than one who kills an innocent over a minor offense. Security is about keeping the peace and making the antags' rounds richer and more entertaining. An antag round can be pretty stale when Sec either doesn't give a shit about you despite your heinous crimes or just flat out doesn't exist. The best antag rounds I've ever had were ones where I had the whole Sec team on my tail, and barely even had the time to write out my cheesy backstory or 90's oneliners over comms. The thrill of a chase is fun, at least to me, and I like to give other antags that same experience as Sec.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Communicate. You have access to a secure frequency only you and your fellow officers can hear, as well as the Captain and Detective. Use it. It should be your primary communication method for almost everything you would need from your fellow officers, from status checks and updates on the station's situation to calling for backup and discussing potential station threats. Unless you feel it is absolutely necessary, try to refrain from telling the crew about the station's threats. If you do, tell them how to prepare for it and even go as far as to distribute materials for staying safe against the station's eviltons, i.e. saying there is a confirmed Ling on board and getting the chemists to do something useful and mass-produce calomel for the crew. Needlessly or carelessly spilling over sensitive information through public comms will not only make the crew more paranoid than they already are, but also give your enemy information you'd rather they didn't have, such as, well, the fact you know they exist, their appearance, their tools, etc. This makes it easier for your suspect to clean up their tracks so you can't catch them red-handed, since they now know what you'll be looking for.Know thy Enemy. Something something knowing is half the battle. Being the station's dedicated antag catcher won't last long when you won't know what to look for or how to keep yourself from getting killed by those who would want you dead. If you haven't already, read the wiki on the antag roles you'll surely encounter as Sec, and even play as them. Learn common strategies for antags - and how to counter them. Learn the bad guys inside-out, know what they do, and imagine yourself playing as them if you aren't actually playing as them. Imagine the ways your potential victims would escape your grasp or how Security could foil your evil plots. Then simply imagine yourself on the other side of those equations. How would you prepare for a Changeling stinging you, marking you as its next meal? How would you get around a Nukie teams' defenses? How would you handle a Revolution, once you know it's happening? Without knowing how the bad guys work, you can't expect to be able to defeat them.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    One of my favorite moments as Security involved a Wizard who, somehow, turned himself into a cluwne. We caught him fairly early into his cluwning rampage that left many deformed and almost made God himself weep, so I decided to have a bit of fun with him. I decided that I would be the first member of Nanotrasen Security to interrogate a Cluwnewizard. I would be the one to uncover what horrible things lurk in such a fiend's mind, what draws them to commit such crimes against humanity. The Head of Security, an NTSO, and the Captain observed, taking notes feverishly. Of course, as to be expected, all we could get out of him were tortured honks. Even my most brutal yet effective Space Soviet interrogation techniques produced only the shrieking honks of a cluwne. The NTSO even had to pull me out and give me a prep talk because I had gotten too rough with our prisoner. But I knew I would get this spicy info out of this cursed being one way or another. This was our chance to turn the tide against the Wizards Federation, to uncover their secrets. So, I decided upon an unorthodox approach: if the cluwne can only speak in the wailing honks of the 10th Circle of Hell, where the Clowns reside, why not have them write down what they know? Turns out cluwnes can only write in honks as well. Desperate for answers, I unload a few rounds into the eldritch aberration, knowing that if anything could open a mouth that's been zipped tight, it was a .38 caliber bullet. Of course, this only agitated the Lovecraftian beast, and it had to be subdued with the full force of myself and the presiding Heads. I never knew a honk could sound so much like a scream and a vuvuzela being played at full force by a man with the world's most robust vocal chords at the same time. With that, the HoS had seen enough. They knew as much as the rest of us that this withered husk of what was once a man wouldn't give anything that didn't vaguely resemble a honk in some way. The interrogation was called off and we decided to publicly humiliate the cluwnewizard for being a cluwne, a nerd, and a boomer all at the same time. The End.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    • I sit in Medbay
    • I wait for treatment
    • It was already bombed this shift
    • Thunder never strikes the same spot twice
    • Right?

• Jokes on you dumbass
    • Some other asshole bombed
    • Medbay again!
    • What!
    • This shift sucks!

• Medical staff are now fully erased
    • Reduced to atoms
    • Not that anyone will notice

• Oh yeah and I'm gibs now
    • Deadchat stinks of my farts
    • I just wanted to be a funny
    • Clown.

• But alas,
    • I am funnier in death as a pile of gibs
    • Than I was in life.
    • I cry in toilet.
    • Honk
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None. I usually learn my lesson after the first warning.
Well I wasn't expecting this so soon :p

Rico Geravo has always since day one been a pretty robust and competent security officer. There have been times when they have been overbearing but I believe they've had enough talkings to and slaps on the wrists by now to realize when and when not to brutalize the crimers a little bit and I think they would make a good HoS.

+1
+1 to Rico Geravo as sec. Reliable and most importantly they do actually communicate! I think they'd be a solid HoS.
Good encounters with, +1 from this borgo.
You caught me so early into my cluwning rampage that I didn't get to cluwne anyone! >frown

+1 though, why not.
i greatly approve
Good communication and sense of judgement in my experience. Would make good HoS  i m o
absolutely horrible, always stops me from commiting murder/theft/war crimes

(1+)
Tad late, but Rico is a good secoff, definitely deserves HoS. +1