Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Soviet Shuttle Replacement
Heya.  I know I've only been back one day but I saw what happened to the Soviet Shuttle... and I mourned it.  I used to use it to pull off large scale antag stuff that I couldn't otherwise.   The kinda stuff that took forty five minutes even with the ease the Soviet provided.  That and the engy ship let antags pull off stuff that was the culmination of learning all the roles.    That said I read the threads on its removal and I understand some of the  points made... so... I wanted to make a proposal...

Add a VIP area to the Listening Post that contain's chem (small room with two chemmasters, reagent extracter, four packs of beakers, 2 backs of large beakers), botany at an almost exact remake of the soviet shuttle, maybe with two machines, and a straight up empty room for people who want to deploy some engineer stuff ( put wires under the ground).

This VIP room would get more people to make use of the syndie shuttle PLUS:
  • It would cost 5 crystals for the VIP syndie card, so antags who wanted to use it would need to sacrifice some of their power budget... a decently good items worth
  • you could put an immortal guard buddie to keep the wizard from using it
  • No handheld artifacts... you still gotta find those on your own.
  • No strelka 
  • If two antags buy the card, they still run the risk of one killing the other but there's also an exciting opportunity for collaboration.

This would negate the negatives of the Soviet Shuttle while still allowing people who've hit their higher craft to do some elaborate stuff without getting all their prep messed up halfway through, but still causing them to lose nearly half their crystals.

Room would also contain two space suits, oxygen,  and jetpacks in case someone decided to check the Listening post for pods.

Just an idea.
Hm. I think that the problem wasn't so much that it was free, but rather, the safety of doing evil chem/botany stuff in an offstation secluded area where you are unlikely to be interrupted.
Adding a TC cost to get to a super-duper safe spot would... almost be worse, in that now you have a spot where the antag is sitting in a nerdhole, with 0 possible interaction with the rest of the crew, until they stroll out with a deadly hellmix they spent the last 30 minutes making.
Yeah, that's the idea. Though I didn't include electrician stuff.(mechanic). The stuff they made will almost certainly be interesting. TO be clear, you can make hellmix right there in chemistry as a non-antag and no one can say boo. If people wanna spend some telecrystals to buy some space between them and others to prep... that means the end result is going to be entertaining and cool most the time.
hard disagree for the reasons Tarmunora outlined. The issue with isolated chem zones is that they exist at all- even if the cost was 12 TC it still would end with "oh ok no more floors on the station z level i guess"

those kinds of high-prep rampages are fun for only one person. Not good for anyone else.
Alternative: Create a "personal chemistry module" that deploys in a 2x3 area of any rotation to create a chem setup (two chemasters, dispenser, heater, table with beakers and such - stool in the center). Requires you to establish your own safe haven (much more interactivity), but still allows for relative privacy.
I think that we have too many ready-made safe havens in debris for that to not just be strelka 2.0 still

and like, you can just do that with mechanics anyways, soooo.... no need to make it a codified thing imo
I agree with Ursula here.
Mechanics will happily scan anything you give them access and permission to, including a Reset AI board if asked by a head.
(Well, at least I do.)

Now you only have to print the blueprints at any ruckengineerkit, put it in any fabricator, create the frames and go into your nerd hole.

I have seen people use the derelict station for that, in maint, or some other place.